Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:53 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,235,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
Just1Lion,
OMG OMG OMG
you could CERTAINLY NOT have put that better!
the philly burbs were decent in the 80's and NOT since...they were jumpin back then, i mean, for what they could be. they use to seriously cater to people from philly. sad to see that change

"philly is driving me insane. quality of life here is just plain low."
"that overall angry vibe that flows through the city, its just depressing. i feel like im always on guard."

and you know what, unless people have been living here in the last say 5 years, they dont know how bad it is lol. i typically now look over my shoulder in broad daylight in center city, ESPECIALLY on broad or market. its like people have lost their damn minds. and i think people are just hungry for what YOU GOT, it doesnt matter if what you have is broken, used, or hidden. and you get that vibe from everyone. they are desperate and will do anything to get validation from you. and if you dont give them validation, your life/safety is in danger. thats even true in upper darby AND out-of-towners in university city. i could go on and on
and what is it with the hard looks from everyone? do they teach people how to sneer and give nasty looks in driving school here?
I have wrestled with the idea in my head of just moving there, but i dont want to leave my wife. i want her there with me. and i want her to just to trust me, about the simple things. being able to just relax after work with some nice scenery, nice weather, hit the beach after or before work for a quick surf. im sick of coming home and fighting for a parking spot, and walking only down certain blocks to get home safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:56 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,980,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
i drive through bucks county on my way to work every day. trash. bristol? croydon? bensalem? right......
I never said every section was nice. Read my previous posts. I said there are good and bad.

A drive through Holland, Newtown, up to Washington's Crossing and New Hope is absolutely beautiful. Lots of trees, rolling hills, farm houses.

Croydon and Bristol are older sections, and more industrial. Homes are much older - over 50 years old. Bensalem is a mixture of new and old homes.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:50 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,980,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
i drive through bucks county on my way to work every day. trash. bristol? croydon? bensalem? right......
I just noticed you live in South Philly.

Instead of uprooting your entire life (you and your wife), why not just try moving to a better / newer section in the Philly area?

Since you commute to Lower Bucks to go to work, why not just move to somewhere in Lower Bucks?

And no, I don't mean Croydon or Bristol.

There are lots of very livable places in Lower Bucks: Oxford Valley, Langhorne, Bensalem, Feasterville, Southampton, Holland, etc.

And you will get away from paying Philly city tax, which is a big plus.

The day-to-day problems you and Serpent are unhappy about don't exist in every section of Philly. They mostly exist in the areas you mentioned, like West Philly, downtown near City Hall, and other older and run-down sections. Of course people are unhappy living in these run-down places, and it probably shows on their faces, and the way they interact with others in their daily lives.

I still would recommend San Diego over Philly any day of the week, but San Diego isn't for everyone.

First, you have to be able to afford it. Living in Paradise doesn't come cheap. I would say to save up at least 6 months living expenses when you move. Be prepared to spend around $1000 - $1500 in rent, with first/last months rent and one month security deposit ready on day one. Beyond rent, most other expenses aren't much different from Philly, and in some cases, even cheaper than Philly. CA doesn't require annual car inspections ... just smog checks every two years. Car insurance is around the same as in PA.

Second, you have to feel comfortable knowing that you will have only one season all year round. We don't get snow ... ever. Some people like changes in the weather. San Diego has mostly one temperature all year round: 70 degrees and sunny. It hardly ever rains. It rarely gets hot or cold. Winters never drop below around 38F during the coldest nights.

Third, San Diego is very relaxed. The word "chill" is commonly used to describe San Diegans. People are generally courteous and friendly.

Fourth, there isn't a lot of racial diversity in San Diego. It is primarily white, followed by Hispanics, then Asians and African Americans in much smaller percentages. However, from my experience here, all people of all races get along. I'm not saying racial tensions don't exist at all, but I've never personally noticed them in San Diego. In Philly, from my experience, race issues were pretty common.

So if living in a vacation resort is what you are looking for, then I would definitely recommend San Diego in a heartbeat!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:00 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I just noticed you live in South Philly.

Instead of uprooting your entire life (you and your wife), why not just try moving to a better / newer section in the Philly area?

Since you commute to Lower Bucks to go to work, why not just move to somewhere in Lower Bucks?

And no, I don't mean Croydon or Bristol.

There are lots of very livable places in Lower Bucks: Oxford Valley, Langhorne, Bensalem, Feasterville, Southampton, Holland, etc.

And you will get away from paying Philly city tax, which is a big plus.

The day-to-day problems you and Serpent are unhappy about don't exist in every section of Philly. They mostly exist in the areas you mentioned, like West Philly, downtown near City Hall, and other older and run-down sections. Of course people are unhappy living in these run-down places, and it probably shows on their faces, and the way they interact with others in their daily lives.

I still would recommend San Diego over Philly any day of the week, but San Diego isn't for everyone.

First, you have to be able to afford it. Living in Paradise doesn't come cheap. I would say to save up at least 6 months living expenses when you move. Be prepared to spend around $1000 - $1500 in rent, with first/last months rent and one month security deposit ready on day one. Beyond rent, most other expenses aren't much different from Philly, and in some cases, even cheaper than Philly. CA doesn't require annual car inspections ... just smog checks every two years. Car insurance is around the same as in PA.

Second, you have to feel comfortable knowing that you will have only one season all year round. We don't get snow ... ever. Some people like changes in the weather. San Diego has mostly one temperature all year round: 70 degrees and sunny. It hardly ever rains. It rarely gets hot or cold. Winters never drop below around 38F during the coldest nights.

Third, San Diego is very relaxed. The word "chill" is commonly used to describe San Diegans. People are generally courteous and friendly.

Fourth, there isn't a lot of racial diversity in San Diego. It is primarily white, followed by Hispanics, then Asians and African Americans in much smaller percentages. However, from my experience here, all people of all races get along. I'm not saying racial tensions don't exist at all, but I've never personally noticed them in San Diego. In Philly, from my experience, race issues were pretty common.

So if living in a vacation resort is what you are looking for, then I would definitely recommend San Diego in a heartbeat!
Ahhh yes, the city wage tax. it would be sweet to get away from that as well. Im sure that there are nicer parts of the philly burbs, but im just plain not interested in that lifestyle. suburb is a suburb is a suburb is a suburb to me....at this point atleast.

As for the rest of your post, i already pay in that range for rent, and you are describing every reason that i want to live in SD. the relaxed atmosphere, the weather, i hate cold winters other than for snowboarding..., but that is accessable in California. its a no brainer for me.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:02 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,733,684 times
Philly is great!

Would you mind bringing Center City with you if/when you come out? Pine St, Rittenhouse, South St, Geno's, Washington Sq, etc.... nothing like that out here!

I think I know what you are referring to when you speak of the "agro" mentality. Walking down South St, and being forced to walk in gutter to get around/thru some of the thugs who hang out there.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:08 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Geno's
No... Pat's widt, come on now!

Old 07-02-2009, 09:46 PM

59 posts, read 174,513 times
LOL u all crack me up! drive through villanova, chester county, Haverford, then when your finished drive 1.5 hours to Avalon, NJ and tell me it's not beautiful. Fact- haverford school district is best in the entire country period. Fact- rose valley is the most expensive home prices in the country. Fact- Avalon is rated year after year as the most desirable and most beautiful beaches in the country. I just returned 2 hours ago and the ocean temp is already 73 degrees. I can go on with the facts but I'm tired...

Old 07-02-2009, 10:34 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usan8v View Post
LOL u all crack me up! drive through villanova, chester county, Haverford, then when your finished drive 1.5 hours to Avalon, NJ and tell me it's not beautiful. Fact- haverford school district is best in the entire country period. Fact- rose valley is the most expensive home prices in the country. Fact- Avalon is rated year after year as the most desirable and most beautiful beaches in the country. I just returned 2 hours ago and the ocean temp is already 73 degrees. I can go on with the facts but I'm tired...
Wait a second. I don't know where you are finding the "facts" you are citing here, but there is no way Avalon NJ has the most expensive home prices in the country. The Hamptons, hell even Rancho Santa Fe has got to outpace it in that category. And where are the school rankings to which you are referring? And I don't recall seeing Avalon on the list of best beaches, which includes Coronado just about every year. Hawaii pretty much tops the list every year. Links to your "facts" would be appreciated, or else your post kinda loses its traction. Oh, and how's the water temp in NJ in January? I'm thinkin it's kinda nippy.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 AM

344 posts, read 841,349 times
um
i have been to all of the beaches in NJ, and uhhh, well, i'm trying to see a light that is not there
sorry

Old 07-03-2009, 12:18 PM

22 posts, read 59,154 times
Ok, here's another South New Scurvy / Filth-a-delphia life timer leaving for the west coast. My family of 3 will be moving in June of 2010. We have had enough of this area. For all the above reasons and more.
The attitude here is the worst!! My filthadelphia suburb is expensive and nice but that doesn't balance out having to deal with all the issues here. The metro area is so dirty. NJ is the Garden State? give me a break. Everywhere you look it is dirty with trash on the sides of every road. I'll take my chances in South California.
My daughter has graduated from college in CA and after all the visits we are coming over. We will be back in August for more investigation and wrap up the details.
Sorry NJ and PA. Enough is enough.
By the way, we just got back from the NJ shore and it is nice, but! You can't use the beach from October to April/May. I'll take west coast weather thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego