Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:12 PM

119 posts, read 273,248 times

Advertisements

I know that you all will be of help here! I have lived in Ohio my whole life, but want to get away from the extreme weather conditions (sub-zero and snow in the winter and highs near 95 and humid in the summer). Plus, our economy is not doing well, but I guess that it isn't anywhere else. I've become bored in Ohio, and am looking for excitement!

I have never been to San Diego, but from what I have heard, I feel like it is the place for me. I know that it can be pricey, but I know that I can find SOMETHING that I can rent for a little while. I am looking for an area where I can meet people my age (I am 26 and single) and where I would have somewhat easy access to any and all outdoors sports. I love kayaking, hiking, etc. Also, I am a teacher, so I would have to look for a job out there, as well.

Can anyone give me helpful hints as to what neighborhoods you think I would like? Also, what schools around San Diego are good ones? I had originally looked into Santa Cruz, but it is too small of a town for me.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 12:39 PM

11 posts, read 20,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Ray View Post
I know that you all will be of help here! I have lived in Ohio my whole life, but want to get away from the extreme weather conditions (sub-zero and snow in the winter and highs near 95 and humid in the summer). Plus, our economy is not doing well, but I guess that it isn't anywhere else. I've become bored in Ohio, and am looking for excitement!

I hear ya, bro. Hubby and I are in Dayton and getting the heck out ASAP. Heading to SD ourselves. Probably in a year or so, but I'm doing the same thing you're doing - there are SO MANY neighborhoods within San Diego city, then towns in SD County - it's near impossible to research them all without a little direction. I'm gonna need that year or so just to figure out where we want to land!

Good luck to you!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM

You, too Grace! I'll let you know if I hear anything off of this site, as well!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
You can give up the idea of a teaching job in San Diego. The school districts here have been having major budget cuts, and are already talking about next year's cuts. You can work as a substitute teacher, but you won't be able to get a contract - displaced employees have priority.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:53 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
This thread might help on deciding what areas to live in:

Neighborhoods in Greater SD

Old 07-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Yea - this economy is killing any plans to move. I have a good job where I am, but really don't like it in mid-Ohio. Thanks for the tips on the employment status and the neighborhoods!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:30 PM

11 posts, read 20,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This thread might help on deciding what areas to live in:

Neighborhoods in Greater SD
You officially rock for giving us this link.

What a great way to help narrow things down efficiently. And the guy who posted it is wonderful, too. But I thanked him already.

I'm looking at Clairemont and University City right now. Trying to keep rent around $1500... found a place that actually accepts large dogs! We won't be moving for another year yet, but still..... Fingers crossed.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:20 PM

55 posts, read 178,144 times
I grew up in Northern Kentucky right across the river from Cincinnati, so I know what you mean. I hated the winters and the hot summers. I sold my house and most of my stuff and moved to San Diego. San Diego is definitely paradise compared to that area. Just don't expect to have what you have in Ohio in San Diego. San Diego is so different from what you are used to and it is a very welcome change! Obviously, you should visit before moving, but I can see that you are craving adventure and excitement. So, just do it! As far as the neighborhoods go, North Park, Normal Heights and Hillcrest are pretty cool, happening areas. The areas that I really like that have neighborhoods with houses and yards like Ohio and Kentucky are Clairemont, Allied Gardens and Mira Mesa. Those are the places that feel like the suburbs from back home but with a California vibe. If I could afford to buy a house in San Diego, it would buy one in one of those areas. All of those places are 10-20 minutes from downtown and the beaches.

I really got addicted to moving around the country after my move to San Diego. It made me realize that there are so many cool places I can live and explore. That is why I am in Austin now. I heard so many good things about it. I just moved here on a whim without ever having been here before. This town has a great vibe as well and it is cheaper than San Diego. It gets really hot here in the summer and it does get cold in the winter. I definitely miss the perfect weather of San Diego!!! I am looking to head back to San Diego for a while. I miss seeing and hearing the ocean, eating fresh cantaloupe on the beach in La Jolla, going to La Salsa or Rubio's for fish tacos, going for a walk on the harbor where the cruise ships come in, all the outdoor shopping malls, going to the zoo and .....

Old 07-06-2009, 02:39 PM

Bianca - what job do you have and where can I find it?! I would love a job that would be so flexible with my moving! haha. I really like Austin - I have been there a few times. I love the amount of live music that you can find around there - I seriously considered moving there, as well - but the summers are just TOO hot for me there. It really is a happening place!!

Thanks for the advice on the areas of San Diego. I know that housing cost is exponentially higher than it is in Ohio, but I am willing to deal with it and live with less. In the words of Thoreau, simplicity, simplicity, simplicity! haha

Old 07-06-2009, 03:43 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Default Moving to San Diego

Transplanted Ohioan here also reading threads. Best wishes to all hoping to move here. Keep things in perspective. You won't be living the tourist life once here. I assume you'll be working full time to pay the bills. The economic situation in CA is not good. High unemployment. With the budget crisis state and local government jobs will be hard to find. Yes, it's true your utility bills will be much lower. Here in Mission Valley my combined electric and gas bill is about $50.00 per month. My heater and a/c is almost never used. Just about every other expense is higher. Rent, homes, car registration fees, sales taxes and gasoline all higher. Rents anywhere near the beach will be very high. Surprisingly the average household income here is not much higher that many areas in the metropolitan Midwest. You may also be surprised to know that SD is really a very conservative city and not nearly as liberal as say LA or San Francisco. Despite all the negatives, SD is a very attractive place to live. If you're young and not tied down go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego