Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:44 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultOfOne View Post
Hi All,
my company is looking to transfer me to SD from Australia (Melbourne)!! We have been to the USA many times and have been to 18 states so far. We love the place. we are in our mid and late 30's and have a child and another on the way. We would be looking for a 4 bedroom home (lots of family will visit). our main needs are to be safe and have access to the airport and freeways for my job. Any suggestions on locations?? we also love to be able to walk places as we do here in Australia like local shops etc.

If anybody knows a good website for property rentals I would love a link

Looking forward to any info.
Thanks
Cult Of One......
In what part of San Diego is your job located? Are you looking to buy or rent? What's your housing budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,023 times
Sorry,
Looking to rent and the job is likley to need to be based at a home office but with need to fly fairly often. I would also have to see various clients spread arount the city so no real office as in "a downtown location" but need for good freeway access

Budget would be perhaps 3K per month rent.

Thanks for any assistance.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:02 AM

140 posts, read 488,683 times
Please read this before buying a house if your brand new to an area.

I see alot of posts on "Moving to San Diego in X months, advice on places to buy?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:30 PM

21 posts, read 69,639 times
We're actually renting a home In Carmel Valley and renting out our own home in Northern CA. It has worked out great: close to son's high school, pool, view of Del Mar. We haven't wanted to buy as our needs/desires may change when our son gets out of school. Who know, we may want to live somewhere else in San Diego after we don't have to worry about the schools. In other words, we are not stuck/commited. Hope everyone finds what works for them. San Diego is a great area, indeed!

Old 11-28-2010, 06:23 PM

3 posts, read 11,244 times
MY GOD!! I THANK YOU LORD FOR THIS POST AND FOR THE ALL THE SINNERS WHOSE EXPERIENCES ARE HELPING ME STAY OUT OF SIN!!! I LOVE YOU ALL, I AM DEFINITELY, CERTAINLY, UNDOUBTEDLY GOING TO RENT FOR AT LEAST A YEAR OR TWO, BEFORE I EVEN LET MY NEURONS FIRE ON THE THOUGHT OF BUYING.....NO SERIOUSLY, I AM NOT LYING, I WILL DIVORCE MY WIFE IF IT IS ANYTHING LIKE SUZANNE. ALTHOUGH, I AM THINKING ABOUT RENTING IN SCRIPPS RANCH FOR NOW WHERE I KNOW THERE IS A GOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.

BUT THEN I HAVE TO DO SOME RESEARCH IN THE SURROUNDING AREAS, LIKE 4S RANCH, OR PENASQUITOS OR BERNARDO. I DID DRIVE AROUND 4S RANCH, AND THE AREA IS NO DOUBT NICE. BUT I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT THIS MELLO ROOS CR#!, THANKS TO THESE FORUMS I KNOW NOW.

I WOULD NOT EVEN KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN IN TERMS OF HOMES IN 4S RANCH. ALL I KNOW IS WITH POWAY USD, I CANNOT GO WRONG. BUT IF I WANTED TO BUY A HOME IN A LOCATION WITH A SEAMLESS POWAY USD (TOP RATED) SCHOOL TRANSITION, i.e., ELEM --> MIDDLE --> HIGH, WHICH AREA WOULD THAT BE? CLEARLY, THE SCHOOLS ARE GOING TO DECIDE IF EVENTUALLY MY INVESTMENT WILL PAY OFF, BEING AN ETERNAL OPTIMIST I WOULD LIKE TO THINK SO AT LEASE. ANY IDEAS?

Old 11-28-2010, 06:44 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Whoa Chill out!

Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkiri View Post
MY GOD!! I THANK YOU LORD FOR THIS POST AND FOR THE ALL THE SINNERS WHOSE EXPERIENCES ARE HELPING ME STAY OUT OF SIN!!! I LOVE YOU ALL, I AM DEFINITELY, CERTAINLY, UNDOUBTEDLY GOING TO RENT FOR AT LEAST A YEAR OR TWO, BEFORE I EVEN LET MY NEURONS FIRE ON THE THOUGHT OF BUYING.....NO SERIOUSLY, I AM NOT LYING, I WILL DIVORCE MY WIFE IF IT IS ANYTHING LIKE SUZANNE. ALTHOUGH, I AM THINKING ABOUT RENTING IN SCRIPPS RANCH FOR NOW WHERE I KNOW THERE IS A GOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.

BUT THEN I HAVE TO DO SOME RESEARCH IN THE SURROUNDING AREAS, LIKE 4S RANCH, OR PENASQUITOS OR BERNARDO. I DID DRIVE AROUND 4S RANCH, AND THE AREA IS NO DOUBT NICE. BUT I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT THIS MELLO ROOS CR#!, THANKS TO THESE FORUMS I KNOW NOW.f

I WOULD NOT EVEN KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN IN TERMS OF HOMES IN 4S RANCH. ALL I KNOW IS WITH POWAY USD, I CANNOT GO WRONG. BUT IF I WANTED TO BUY A HOME IN A LOCATION WITH A SEAMLESS POWAY USD (TOP RATED) SCHOOL TRANSITION, i.e., ELEM --> MIDDLE --> HIGH, WHICH AREA WOULD THAT BE? CLEARLY, THE SCHOOLS ARE GOING TO DECIDE IF EVENTUALLY MY INVESTMENT WILL PAY OFF, BEING AN ETERNAL OPTIMIST I WOULD LIKE TO THINK SO AT LEASE. ANY IDEAS?
Just reading your post raised my blood pressure. Are you moving because you want to - thus it should be a joyful time. If you are moving because you have to, all the best to you,but you really need to follow footballfreak's advice and CHILL!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 AM

961 posts, read 2,565,301 times
We tried to move back to San Diego last year, but we needed to find a house to rent in the school boundary we wanted to send our kids to and we have a 20 lb dog with a rental budget of $2300 for a 2 bedroom and it was impossible to find anything nice within those parameters. So we finally gave up on our San Diego hopes. Rentals are not quite a plentiful in this market since the people who lost their homes have been forced to rent.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:38 PM

422 posts, read 791,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDrelocate View Post
Are thinking of moving to sunny San Diego. You are racking your brain. Where do I live? I need to buy a house right away. A word of advice.

Rent in the area you think you would like to own. Check it out for a couple years. Unless you are planning to stay in the same place for 10 year, just rent. It took me a good 3 years to figure out where I wanted to live and really learn the area. Some area are not as great as they seem at first glance. That strip bar down the block is pretty cool if you are a 25 yo male, perhaps not so nice with wife an 3 kids.

Time is on your side. The go-go days of 2002-2006 are history. Renting is not for suckers it is for smarties.

This advice to all the people from Kazhakstan, Kansas, Korea, or Kokomo that are relocating to San Diego.

TRY BEFORE BUY.....RENT BEFORE BUY. If I had bought in the area I originally wanted to buy in I would be seriously bummed out now, and seriously underwater.

To you.....young twenty-something from Toledo Ohio......sick of the midwest. When you move to San Diego.. RENT BEFORE BUY.

To you, recently single divorcee from Peoria considering a move to San Diego...RENT BEFORE BUY.

To you, urban sophisticate from NYC, looking to move back closer to the parents...RENT BEFORE BUY.

To you _____, from ______ and looking for a change and considering a move to San Diego..RENT BEFORE BUY. Fill in the blanks with your personal info.

Good luck and Good night mi amigos.
This seems like common sense. If someone is moving from afar, they simply cant just arrive and buy a house. It's a lengthy process. For that reason alone, they buyer would be forced to rent upon arriving. Even then, the apartment would take some time to approve them.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 AM

140 posts, read 488,683 times
Just checking in....advice still holds.

I ended up buying a house in south Carlsbad. Great family town.
Getting alot of visitors from friends and family from colder climes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego