Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:59 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times

Advertisements

I go to Pacific Beach and Mission Beach every weekend, and also several times during the week.

And I have to say that this year ... the beaches are the best I have ever seen them.

People are quiet, behaved and friendly.

Everyone seems to be having a good time.

No beach fights ... no incidents of any sort.

The noise level is minimal. You can actually just lay on the sand and enjoy the sounds of the ocean.

The beaches are still packed on the weekends. I was there today (Saturday) during mid-day, and there were lots of people. In PB, the closest parking space I could find was around 3 blocks from the beach.

After laying on the beach a few hours, and swimming in the ocean (water temp was 69F), I rode my bike the entire length of the boardwalk (PB to MB).

During my ride, I noticed a total of 3 police patrolling the beach the entire time I was there. In previous years, I would usually see around 20 police or more on a busy Saturday. Especially around Reed St. and Belmont Park. This year, police are no longer needed, as there are very few incidents requiring police.

When I reached he parking lot at the south end of Mission Beach, I noticed it was jammed full, as usual for a busy Saturday. At least 20 or more cars were circling through this lot, waiting for other cars to leave, so they could find a place to park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:14 PM

140 posts, read 488,683 times
Blacks beach rocks!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:41 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

People are quiet, behaved and friendly.

Everyone seems to be having a good time.
Glad to hear it actually, it's long overdue. Still I will never go to the beach at PB or MB again... it's just gross to me. Too many cigarette butts, overflowing trash cans, traffic jams, hordes of bros, and tweakers on bikes.

I just got back from visiting the fam in the Hamptons and a private beach across the street from our house... a bit of a letdown to have share the beach with 10 thousand of my closest friends.

We stick to Encinitas, Cardiff State beach. Parking stinks but they didn't need a booze ban to make their beaches nice.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:57 AM

415 posts, read 1,394,845 times
Why does the beach here have seaweed all over it? I never saw anything like this on the east coast.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:02 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
Why does the beach here have seaweed all over it? I never saw anything like this on the east coast.
There are large kelp forests just offshore.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Glad to hear it actually, it's long overdue. Still I will never go to the beach at PB or MB again... it's just gross to me. Too many cigarette butts, overflowing trash cans, traffic jams, hordes of bros, and tweakers on bikes.
Very few cigarette butts these days since the no smoking on beach/boardwalk law was put in place and enforced. People are getting ticketed if a cop catches them smoking.

Trash cans are brand new, with recycle bins on top. I haven't seen a single one that is overflowing this year. Maybe since the alcohol ban, there are fewer beach parties, and less trash overall.

Lots of people still ride bikes, but at least they are sober, and they don't appear threatening in any way.

The worst problem to me are the skate boarders who like to do tricks on their boards right in front of your moving bike. I can't tell you how many times I almost collided with a runaway skateboard.

Quote:
I just got back from visiting the fam in the Hamptons and a private beach across the street from our house... a bit of a letdown to have share the beach with 10 thousand of my closest friends.

We stick to Encinitas, Cardiff State beach. Parking stinks but they didn't need a booze ban to make their beaches nice.
Some weekend you should try PB/MB again, and see the difference. It really is drastic.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:52 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Well this news about the fit pits is interesting.

Donors not warming to saving city fire pits

Old 07-12-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
I remember plenty of seaweed at the Jersey Shore. Also lots of broken seashells, which were a pain to walk across.

I will admit there is a lot of seaweed this year at PB. But other than that, the ocean right now is fantastic. I was there today. Water is mostly clear except for the seaweed, and I didn't notice any jelly fish.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:29 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
I liked the loudness drunks and fights.Just not the shootings.The MB PB area has changed a lot.Not a fan of this new lifestyle but hey.It is for the better I guess.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:04 AM

284 posts, read 1,016,418 times
We went to OB on Saturday and it was just perfect! The water temp has warmed up quite a bit since the Fourth of July so it made for really nice swimming. I don't know how the beaches used to be, but it seems quite ideal to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego