Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:42 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,846 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Just wondering if any old time San Diegans here might be inclined to give me the real heads up on when it starts to get cooler here?

I live in a trailer that has no shade and it's...well...starting to get quite hot during the day (you can see a picture of it on my blog here).

Not that I mind all too much (I love warmer climates) but I would prefer that things be a bit cooler.

While I can look up the statistics on when it might get cooler I prefer to hear from those who have been here for a while with respect to hearing the truth behind the statistics.

When does the day time temperature start to feel cooler again? September? October?

I just want to know so that I can psychologically take comfort in knowing that the intense heat is going to end relatively soon (I hope ).

Carlos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:55 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
umm. Try January?

Last year it was 100+ in November and December.

September and October are our hottest months.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:06 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Depending on where you live, it can be hotter. It's not that bad on the coast, but I wouldn't want to be in El Cajon or Santee.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
umm. Try January?

Last year it was 100+ in November and December.

September and October are our hottest months.
Huh? You have got to be kidding me! No...make that...YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!

If it gets that hot and if the heat that I am experiencing now is just the foretaste of greater heat to come then I am in big trouble!

September and October in Canada just nose dived temperature wise.

I don't think there is any way I can work in my trailer during such heat during the day. I will have to see about earning enough extra money to install an air conditioning unit I guess.

Thanks for the heads up.

So much for the impression I had before coming to San Diego that the temperature is a pleasant 76 F all year round LOL. My brother, who was stationed in the Navy here, used to tell me that San Diego was utterly boring temperature wise as the temperature was essentially the same all year round. Now I see that he meant that in a figurative sort of way and certainly not literally. Not to mention that he was inside a lot where there was undoubtedly air conditioning.

Hmm...glad I asked about this now. I will have to start making plans and preparing to survive the heat about to come down on me.

Thanks for your input too moved.

Much appreciated.

Carlos

PS. I wonder if buying a used and cheap swamp cooler might do the trick.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:51 PM

Try opening all your windows. I don't have A/C, have all my windows open, have ceiling fans in each room, and a box fan when needed. I'm cold blooded, so I like it warm.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:53 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
So much for the impression I had before coming to San Diego that the temperature is a pleasant 76 F all year round LOL.
That is true, if you live right on the coast. But once you get inland a bit, it gets a lot hotter.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Try opening all your windows. I don't have A/C, have all my windows open, have ceiling fans in each room, and a box fan when needed. I'm cold blooded, so I like it warm.
Yeah...I'm doing that. Even have most of the roof vents open. The problem is that if I open certain windows and/or roof vents too much the sun comes a shining in strong and defeats any coolness of the breeze coming in by warming whatever it shines on toasty hot.

The other problem is that it gets so hot that I have go around in my underwear. While I have quite a bit of privacy in the back where the trailer is I don't exactly relish the idea of being publicly viewable in my underwear while walking around the trailer. My landlord is always working in the back on this or that project.

So it puts quite a crimp on my free movement within the trailer. Depending on what I am doing I have to put on a pair of shorts to sometimes walk to various parts of the trailer if I am likely to be standing in front of an open window in my underwear for all the world to see LOL.

But then...because the only shorts I have are polyster I...well...start to quickly sweat within my shorts.

The trials of living as I do...I guess (though I wouldn't trade my situation for some high priced rent...EVER).

I think I am going to try to get a swamp cooler or small air conditining unit. I was looking on craigslist some a few minutes ago and unbelievable as it may seem...there are people giving away air conditioning units once in a while! Just giving them away.

Carlos

Old 07-14-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
That is true, if you live right on the coast. But once you get inland a bit, it gets a lot hotter.
Hmm..well, that would explain what my brother said then. He lived in Coronado I think which is certainly right on the coast. Kind of interesting how going inland just a few miles can make such a difference in the average temperature.

I live in Clairemont so I am hoping that the 100% temperatures you spoke of don't fully apply to me

Carlos

Old 07-14-2009, 02:11 PM

Clairemont can be hot, I have a friend that lives there and she uses A/C.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 PM

434 posts, read 988,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Huh? You have got to be kidding me! No...make that...YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!
Not even remotely. I despise October - except days at the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego