Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:34 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Someone mentioned it will be hot, of course it will be hot, it is August, but I assume you will be driving an AC truck.
Yes, but not everyone thinks about bringing some kind of sun shade, the mesh screens that stick to the side windows. Most of the time you see people with newspapers or magazines jammed over the side windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:03 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Are you looking for the fastest route, scenic or what? I would take the route NewtoCa recommends. I don't think I would do Amarillo to Lubbuck and that way. Regardless, do hit 40 and come across. Someone mentioned it will be hot, of course it will be hot, it is August, but I assume you will be driving an AC truck. Acutally across 40 is very high altitude and the weather will not be that bad from the time you get into west Tx or NM until you go through Flagstaff you wil be at several thousand feet.

Nita
Yeah but then he has to cross the desert to get to Barstow and then fight the LA -Riverside traffic. which can be bumper to bumper for 100 miles.
Is he taking his U haul to the Grand Canyon?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Yes, but not everyone thinks about bringing some kind of sun shade, the mesh screens that stick to the side windows. Most of the time you see people with newspapers or magazines jammed over the side windows.
that is true, but we have never been so hot in the car that driving in AC is a problem where we need side window protection. Believe me, we have driven the 40 corridore many times. A few years ago we drove from ABQ to Laughlin. When we got to Laughlin it was 126 degrees, we still didn't need anything on the side windows. For those who do feel the need, yes, the mesh screens are great.

Nita

Old 07-19-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Yeah but then he has to cross the desert to get to Barstow and then fight the LA -Riverside traffic. which can be bumper to bumper for 100 miles.
Is he taking his U haul to the Grand Canyon?
didn't someone suggest from Flagstaff he head to Phoenix and take 10 in? that would keep him from going through Barstow, of course he would be going through Phoenix which could be worse. Either way, no matter what interstate he takes he is facing the Aug. heat in AZ, part of CA and maybe NV:luckily only for one day.

Nita

Old 07-19-2009, 01:14 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Have you ever actually driven that? Bumper to bumper from Anthem to Goodyear, so if you think he'll enjoy a couple hours of bumper to bumper in 115 degree heat it sounds good

Last edited by Boompa; 07-19-2009 at 01:26 PM..

Old 07-19-2009, 05:21 PM

59 posts, read 174,594 times
The truck I will be driving has ac. So I am not too concerned about that, but thank you for the advice. Also, someone mentioned the hills I will have to climb on my journey, is this something to be concerned about with a car in tow? I am still a bit stuck on which way to actually go. I am looking for the fastest way, I would love to be able to sightsee but I think it will be tough with all my "baggage". I also looked into the pod that can be shipped, great idea but much more expensive with the amount of stuff I have. Will I be in area's where I will be the only one on the road for hours? Starting to think about some wacked movies I have seen...lol

Old 07-19-2009, 05:22 PM

59 posts, read 174,594 times
you lads/gents have been very helpful, and i really appreciate it!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:48 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Pa Turnpike west to New Stanton, Pa.

I-70 west to St. Louis. (Forget about 270. Just go right through the middle, but watch the curve on the exit to I-44.)

I-44 west to Oklahoma City.

I-40 west to Barstow, Ca.

I-15 south to the bottom of Cajon Pass.

I-215 south to Murietta, Ca, then back on I-15 south.

Voila! San Diego!

You'll have some pretty good hills across PA, another fairly long downgrade into Albuquerque, another one after Williams, AZ down into Ash Fork, a general downhill between Seligman and Kingman, AZ and a real, 6% grade for 6 or 7 miles just south of Victorville, Ca. But, they're nothing you can't handle if you just watch your speed and don't fan the brakes.

That's your most direct route.

Alternative:

It's a little longer, but you can avoid most of the mountains by going this way:

Pa Turnpike west to Carlisle, PA.

I-81 south to Knoxville, TN.

I-75 south to Chattanooga, TN.

I-59 south to Birmingham, AL.

I-20 west to Kent, TX.

I-10 west to Eloy, AZ.

I-8 west to San Diego.

On this route, you'll have a pretty good downgrade at Texas Canyon, going down into Benson, AZ and a long, 9 mile climb up west of El Centro, CA. But, the downgrade on the west side is a series of relatively short (not over 5 miles) downhill grades.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Have you ever actually driven that? Bumper to bumper from Anthem to Goodyear, so if you think he'll enjoy a couple hours of bumper to bumper in 115 degree heat it sounds good
Has who ever done what? you need to identify who you are referring to and driven what???

Nita

Old 07-19-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Pa Turnpike west to New Stanton, Pa.

I-70 west to St. Louis. (Forget about 270. Just go right through the middle, but watch the curve on the exit to I-44.)

I-44 west to Oklahoma City.

I-40 west to Barstow, Ca.

I-15 south to the bottom of Cajon Pass.

I-215 south to Murietta, Ca, then back on I-15 south.

Voila! San Diego!

You'll have some pretty good hills across PA, another fairly long downgrade into Albuquerque, another one after Williams, AZ down into Ash Fork, a general downhill between Seligman and Kingman, AZ and a real, 6% grade for 6 or 7 miles just south of Victorville, Ca. But, they're nothing you can't handle if you just watch your speed and don't fan the brakes.

That's your most direct route.

Alternative:

It's a little longer, but you can avoid most of the mountains by going this way:

Pa Turnpike west to Carlisle, PA.

I-81 south to Knoxville, TN.

I-75 south to Chattanooga, TN.

I-59 south to Birmingham, AL.

I-20 west to Kent, TX.

I-10 west to Eloy, AZ.

I-8 west to San Diego.

On this route, you'll have a pretty good downgrade at Texas Canyon, going down into Benson, AZ and a long, 9 mile climb up west of El Centro, CA. But, the downgrade on the west side is a series of relatively short (not over 5 miles) downhill grades.
for speed you are completely right: going on I 40 out of OKC is the best, cutting from Amaillo to Lubb nd onto Clovis would be the least attractive route for time.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego