U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2009, 07:38 PM

3,708 posts, read 6,917,111 times

Advertisements

I'm jealous, I love road trips! Been to 48 of the 50 states (still need Alaska and North Dakota) and I drove thru most of them.

Being from PA, a highlight for you might be driving thru the Rockies on the I-70 thru Denver. Although that would mean you would drive thru nothingness in Kansas. Southern Utah is beautiful with tons of National Parks.

Also, I-40, thru New Mexico and Northern AZ is cool. Indian reservations, Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Santa Fe, Monument Valley, Petrified Forest, etc.

Let us know which way you go and maybe we can give some must-sees along the way.

Last edited by sdurbanite; 07-21-2009 at 08:30 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:25 PM

59 posts, read 98,159 times
I think I figured out the route thanks to all the help from everyone one here! any other suggestions or changes? ty ty
John
copy and past the one below:

from:Media, PA to:I-70 W to:I-70 W to:US-89 to:AZ-67/N Rim Pkwy to:Hwy-89 N/US-89 to:I-15 S to:Lake Mead Blvd/NV-147 to:I-15 S to:33.882957,-117.589417 to:Carlsbad, CA - Google Maps

Old 07-22-2009, 12:54 AM

3,708 posts, read 6,917,111 times
Looks like a good route

Now sure how many days you will take, but some places that I like along your route are:

-Arches and Canyonlands National Parks near Moab.
-Bryce Canyon/Zion National Parks near Cedar City
-Stand on the edge of the Grand Canyon
-Las Vegas for your last night is a must
-Denver is a cool city to check out
-Rocky Mt. National Park
-Lawrence, Kansas is a cool little college town
-Gotta go up the St. Louis Arch
-I prefer Columbus to Indy
-Pittsburgh is one of my favs, but you've probably been there alot
-Finally, jump in the ocean when you reach Carlsbad. When I drove back from Vegas this past weekend, I drove straight the beach and did the same thing.

Have fun!!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:29 AM

81 posts, read 181,204 times
I took 40 most of the way when moving from Philly to LA. Not all that interesting until you get to the western edge of the TX panhandle into New Mexico. Really beautiful southwestern landscapes for 95% of the rest of the way (stuff I had never seen before in person). Just remember that it's going to be really hot driving through some of the desert areas in mid-August, so as another poster said, make sure your car is in top shape.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:04 AM

633 posts, read 2,220,374 times
Default Grand Canyon

This is not so. We were just at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in May and you drive right into the park. From I-40 near Flagstaff, just take State Road 64 North, right up to the park. There are hotels, restaurants and lots of beautiful canyon to see! It's simply amazing so it should be on your list if you have the time. The hotels book up well in advance but you could try some of the hotels outside of the park on State Road 64. Otherwise you'd have to stay in Flagstaff or elsewhere. Visit the Grand Canyon website for all the info.

Have a great trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Obviously, the Grand Canyon is a must see. Nothing in the country compares to it. But last I heard, you can't drive your car right up to the rim (from Flagstaff AZ) anymore. Now you park your car a few miles from the Canyon, and then take a shuttle bus.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:14 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,246,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usan8v View Post
Sorry about this, I first had to take a 26' foot truck, but I just found out this morning my boss will pay for me to get a pod from http://www.upack.com. So with all these changes, I now can actually enjoy this trip!! Any suggestions on the best scenic, way to go with not worrying all that much about time? I am driving a 4 dr 05' benz v8 if that matters...And I'm leaving in mid Aug. I here there is a southern route (which a lot of people posted on the last post) and I also heard there is a northern route?

Thanks a ton!
John D
if you dont mind me asking, how did you work out your move to SD? did you transfer your job or just get a new one? good for you getting leave philly for such a nicer place. i hope to one day do the same.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:22 AM

59 posts, read 98,159 times
There was an opening for a new position in carlsbad, the owner of the location is from allentown, PA and he is tired commuting back and forth so he decided to hire me to manage the 3 locations, carlsbad, carmal mountain, and escondido. Definitely giving up some things to do the move, but I promised myself I will not live another winter in Pa. I get seasonal depression to the max

Old 07-23-2009, 04:05 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,246,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usan8v View Post
Definitely giving up some things to do the move, but I promised myself I will not live another winter in Pa. I get seasonal depression to the max
i hear ya my friend. good luck to you. i will most likely have to suffer throught this winter, hopefully be out there by the next one.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 369 times
I am retiring and will be driving from Doylestown Pa to Ocean Beach Cal. OB is in San Diego. What would be best southern/scenic route to take in mid October early November?
Thanks

Old 09-17-2014, 09:50 AM

1,738 posts, read 1,302,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo OB View Post
I am retiring and will be driving from Doylestown Pa to Ocean Beach Cal. OB is in San Diego. What would be best southern/scenic route to take in mid October early November?
Thanks
That's an exciting and fun drive. I drove from DC to SD last year and took I-40 most of the way. We had to get off right before flagstaff due to the expected snowfall overnight and went down some windy 1 way roads through Payson and into Phoenix before heading west on the final stretch to SD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego