Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:27 PM

9,520 posts, read 30,346,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
All the "gang" looking people picnicking in the park are fine and don't cause trouble from what I have seen. .
Except for the occasional gang-rape and shooting, of course.

My little brother works at Belmont Park. He says it's full-on sketchy. I'm not saying it's dangerous and the OP should be worried, but it's not mayberry either, he should know the pros and cons. The reality is there are real live gangsters (not just "gang looking people") hanging out and many people are rightfully going to be concerned by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,414,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Except for the occasional gang-rape and shooting, of course.

My little brother works at Belmont Park. He says it's full-on sketchy. I'm not saying it's dangerous and the OP should be worried, but it's not mayberry either, he should know the pros and cons. The reality is there are real live gangsters (not just "gang looking people") hanging out and many people are rightfully going to be concerned by that.
Never said it was free of crime but you seem to like to use anecdotal evidence to try to prove some sort of point either way. The gang rape thing was very rare and out of place but I can't really expect fear mongers to recognize that.

From what I have gathered on here, YOU rarely even go to the beach but when you do you go to North County. So please tell me what experience do you personally have in Mission Beach over the past year or two? You can take whatever your "little brother" tells you as reality or not but the fact of the matter is you do not spend time there as far as I can tell and really don't have a whole lot to back your opinion up besides 3rd party information and U-T articles.

Yes it's not Mayberry but it is not overrun with gangsters either like some of you would like to portray it is. Belmont Park is a very family friendly place despite what many of the people look like and all the assumptions others will make about them. Maybe actually try to spend some time there before writing it off as some gang fest.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 AM

274 posts, read 315,282 times
Quote:
Never said it was free of crime but you seem to like to use anecdotal evidence to try to prove some sort of point either way. The gang rape thing was very rare and out of place but I can't really expect fear mongers to recognize that.

From what I have gathered on here, YOU rarely even go to the beach but when you do you go to North County. So please tell me what experience do you personally have in Mission Beach over the past year or two? You can take whatever your "little brother" tells you as reality or not but the fact of the matter is you do not spend time there as far as I can tell and really don't have a whole lot to back your opinion up besides 3rd party information and U-T articles.

Yes it's not Mayberry but it is not overrun with gangsters either like some of you would like to portray it is. Belmont Park is a very family friendly place despite what many of the people look like and all the assumptions others will make about them. Maybe actually try to spend some time there before writing it off as some gang fest.

I've spent a lot of time there. During the day its fine, but it isn't someplace I'd feel comfortable bringing kids to at night. The BBQ'ing gang or "gang looking" parties really don't bother anyone during the day, but by dark the alcohol kicks in and you can notice a different mood start to take over. I've gotten yelled at for looking at them the wrong way when not even looking at them, lewd comments toward my wife, etc. which some people may view as harmless but we don't go down there anymore because of it. That extends to MB and PB, but swap the bro's in PB for the cholo's in MB. Same story.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
I've spent a lot of time there. During the day its fine, but it isn't someplace I'd feel comfortable bringing kids to at night. The BBQ'ing gang or "gang looking" parties really don't bother anyone during the day, but by dark the alcohol kicks in and you can notice a different mood start to take over. I've gotten yelled at for looking at them the wrong way when not even looking at them, lewd comments toward my wife, etc. which some people may view as harmless but we don't go down there anymore because of it. That extends to MB and PB, but swap the bro's in PB for the cholo's in MB. Same story.
Why would anyone bring their kids to any place with a bar/club scene at night? Saying a place with a nightime bar/club scene at night isn't family friendly isn't quite saying much and more like stating the obvious imo.

I just think some people exaggerate and make too many assumptions about the people in MB. Usually those that tend to be scared of their own shadow.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Cmon now. I go to MB at least once or twice a summer and have for years. I was just there in fact. I don't set foot on the filthy beach but we like to take walks on the boardwalk. Spent a lot of time in my 20's drinking in MB and PB, parking our cars in the east lot of Belmont park and riding bikes up and down the strip. Saw a lot of drama and sketchy behavior after dark. It's ok during the day. Not OK for little kids. Too many drunks.

It's not dangerous. But it is seedy. And there are gang members there. You might want to play PC and say they have a "gang look" but aren't the real thing. But you are wrong. I've seen real gang BBQ's with freaking T-shirts made up for the gang. Seen kids leaning out of cars throwing signs. Little brother (who is there every day) says it is common.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 07-23-2009 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:

I just think some people exaggerate and make too many assumptions about the people in MB. Usually those that tend to be scared of their own shadow.
I have been up and down this county from barrio to hood to La Jolla. I am not scared of people, period. The truth is the truth. There are real live gangs in San Diego and they like to go to the beach too. When they do, they go to Mission Beach! Deal with it!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Cmon now. I go to MB at least once or twice a summer and have for years. I was just there in fact. I don't set foot on the filthy beach but we like to take walks on the boardwalk. Spent a lot of time in my 20's drinking in MB and PB, parking our cars in the east lot of Belmont park and riding bikes up and down the strip. Saw a lot of drama and sketchy behavior after dark. It's ok during the day. Not OK for little kids. Too many drunks.

It's not dangerous. But it is seedy. And there are gang members there. You might want to play PC and say they have a "gang look" but aren't the real thing. But you are wrong. I've seen real gang BBQ's with freaking T-shirts made up for the gang. Seen kids leaning out of cars throwing signs. Little brother (who is there every day) says it is common.
I guess I just don't think it is as bad as you and others portray it as. I'm not saying that crap doesn't occur but I don't see these "full on gang bbq's" as often as you make it sound. Maybe I'm just not analyzing and judging other people too much while I'm there. Plus the fact that you are too afraid to "set foot on the filthy beach" just says something right there. Yeah it's no La Jolla but it's not exactly the mouth of the TJ River either.

Maybe you spent time their in your youth but the place seems better than it was 5 years ago and MB has seen much worse in its past. But my point with you was that you actually don't spend a whole lot of time there and I do, just wanted others to realize that and take it for what it's worth.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:32 AM

50,057 posts, read 46,562,994 times
It's like this, if you have kids take them to the Coaster early. The bangers don't hang out there early they start in the afternoon. The beach itself did benefit from the alcohol ban. The worst gang area was the courts near the jetty parking lot but the ban cleared it out. We are down there many times a month and once the bangers move in we bail out by 4pm or so.

That area across from the Coaster? Let's put it this way, we got a table there about 10 am, at 3 pm a pretty scary bunch moved in and actually set on our table. I had two choices, confront about 12 gang looking ruffians or grab my kids and split. We split. 10 years ago I may have done otherwise but having kids make you think different.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That area across from the Coaster? Let's put it this way, we got a table there about 10 am, at 3 pm a pretty scary bunch moved in and actually set on our table. I had two choices, confront about 12 gang looking ruffians or grab my kids and split. We split. 10 years ago I may have done otherwise but having kids make you think different.
That's the real problem area. It is like a gang jamboree over there on Saturdays. What I don't think sav858 gets is that when I am with my wife and 1 year old kid I am not going to take any chances being anywhere near a bunch of weed-toking hoods. When I was a young buck with nothing but a skateboard and 10 bucks in my wallet... what the hell... I might have gone and asked for a toke myself.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:42 AM

Thousands of families are there every weekend with their toddlers, they don't seem to mind or have some of the same hang ups about the areas as some of you. But of course you might assume their related to the gangs or something like that, which wouldn't surprise me. Lots of tourists and their kids still come and hang out at Belmont Park during the day. You can claim it's not family friendly all you want but the scene their during the day shows otherwise, the place is packed with families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego