Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:58 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Scripps Pier is now reporting 67.5 F. Was that warm water short-lived, or is this inaccurate?
Nope, was at Scripps yesterday and it's back in the 70's again, and with decent waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast_Guard_Hawaii
Yawn.

Here in Hawaii the water temperature is currently 83 degrees. The only reason to wear a "wet suit" here is to keep from getting sunburned.
Well, considering you live in what is said to be the most isolated place on earth, you certainly deserve warmer ocean water temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 04:16 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Ocean Temp back to 71 today at PB. And the waves are great!

Air temp is extremely comfortable here as well. 69F right now at 3pm. Bright and sunny skies, as always !!!

That is something Hawaii can't compare.

The avg temps this week in Honolulu are around 85F high / 72F low, with 70% chance of rain all week.

Honolulu, Hawaii (96801) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

San Diego probably won't see rain again until November.

Our coastal air temps are around mid 70's high / mid 60's low all week.

This is why we hardly ever need a/c or heat ... temp remains extremely comfortable ... even in mid-August.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:42 PM

640 posts, read 3,075,275 times
Boy I'm going to miss our ocean temps and pool water when we move to San Diego! There are trade offs though. I'll take San Diego over Orlando any day.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:16 PM

17 posts, read 81,720 times
The water is really nice now. I was just at La Jolla Cove snorkeling and it was warm.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:34 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
It always gets warm this time of year.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:50 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
It's even better after work, when you can unwind while watching the sun go down over the water.

Funny story:

Last Sunday, I was bodysurfing at Scripps when all of a sudden, what I thought was a snorkeller, started coming my way. I could here it breathing as it came closer. Finally, I see it less than 10 feet away from me and it turns out to be a lone seal. It was like watching a pedestrian crossing the street in front of me. It never looked at me and just kept "seal paddling?" It was a pretty cool sight to see.
Another reason why I'm moving to SD!

Old 08-19-2009, 05:37 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Fellow beachgoers - I was at La Jolla last Sunday and water was so clear. I was chin deep in water and I could still see my feet - it was awesome. sav858, i know you probably experienced that, too.

Water temps are still in the 73 degree range, but we could use a heatwave about now. So far, August has been much cooler than normal, even the weather people are freaking out about it. I guess much of the country hasn't had much of a Summer yet, either.

Supposedly, we are suppose to get the monsoon back and warmer temps for the weekend....we'll see, I guess.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Fellow beachgoers - I was at La Jolla last Sunday and water was so clear. I was chin deep in water and I could still see my feet - it was awesome. sav858, i know you probably experienced that, too.

Water temps are still in the 73 degree range, but we could use a heatwave about now. So far, August has been much cooler than normal, even the weather people are freaking out about it. I guess much of the country hasn't had much of a Summer yet, either.

Supposedly, we are suppose to get the monsoon back and warmer temps for the weekend....we'll see, I guess.
and larger surf to go with it, if the forecasts are right.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
"I was chin deep in water and I could still see my feet"

No seal poop? The anti-seal people always complain about all the seal poop.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:50 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Yep, was at LJ Shores Saturday then Windansea Sunday. Shores was GREAT and the water was very clear. When I went to Torrey Pines a few weeks back, same thing, up to my neck but could still see the bottom. Windansea, you can see at least 15-20 feet down. My parents and little siblings were in town and love that beach.

I'm sure inland people aren't complaining but I am SICK of this below normal weather. It seems since May all but the last 2 weeks of July have been below normal. Five degrees may not sound like much but when your temps barely change week to week it is noticeable, especially to someone like me. And the nights have been cool too and it seems a little cloudier than normal.. Bring on the heat (upper 70's to low 80's) and some humidity already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego