Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 PM

238 posts, read 555,712 times

Advertisements

Interesting article here:
Arthur Salm: The most depressing place in the world

How 'bout it, San Diegans? Reading this type of thing about my soon-to-be city is a little disconcerting. Are the politicians in the pockets of the developers? Is the city wasting its potential?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot1986 View Post
Are the politicians in the pockets of the developers?
Yes. As it has been and ever shall be. Residential and retail construction is the biggest growth driver for this city. It is depressed now, but it will be back. And that means more sweetheart deals on mega-developments without the water, road, school, or parking infrastructure to accomodate them. We are a city that builds new stripmalls blocks away from vacant, decaying ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot1986 View Post
Is the city wasting its potential?
That depends. Some people look at San Diego and see "what it could be". Those people, for the most part are either:
- developers who see more luxury condos, stripmalls, and hotels
OR
- outsiders, transplants, people who don't "get" San Diego, people who will stay a few years and move on.

San Diego is a resort city. A tourist city. A military city. A retirement destination and a beach destination. It is not an industrial powerhouse. It is not a high tech center. It is not a finance and business center. It is not a center of arts and culture. San Diego is a place where people move for great weather and a laid back lifestyle. It's less a place where people move to build a top-tier career (aside from a few industries).

I don't see anything depressing about it. Just set your expectations. Take San Diego for what it is and enjoy it. A beautiful place. Beautiful landscapes and beaches. Gorgeous weather. But don't expect it to become what it isn't. The natives don't want San Diego to be a big powerful city. Many of them don't really even want you to move here.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 08-04-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,916 times
I totally agree with you. I also ask myself the same questions. Are you from 1986??

Old 08-04-2009, 03:20 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,633 times
Quote:
It is not an industrial powerhouse. It is not a high tech center. It is not a finance and business center.
I would disagree with this. San Diego is a solid second-tier high tech / finance / business center, with more high tech jobs per capita than, say, Chicago or Dallas.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:29 PM

238 posts, read 555,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomonge View Post
I totally agree with you. I also ask myself the same questions. Are you from 1986??
Not sure what your question means... but my moniker serves to remind me I could have moved there in 1986 but didn't for stupid reasons. Then life got in the way and here I am 23 years later trying again.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:39 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
I don't need to read the article. I know San Diego and have already seen the most depressing place in the world. It was in Arkansas, not California.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:11 PM

26 posts, read 45,697 times
Are any of you guy's natives?

Old 08-04-2009, 04:26 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
I would disagree with this. San Diego is a solid second-tier high tech / finance / business center, with more high tech jobs per capita than, say, Chicago or Dallas.
I was just going to say, San Diego is a big hi-tech center due to Qualcomm and also with all the military/defense related technology as well as biotech.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:42 PM

114 posts, read 308,878 times
Post Oh Please!

Oh Please. This guy tries to compare Vancouver with San Diego. I sued to live in Germany for most of my lifetime (15 years). According to Mercer Ranking 2009, Vancouver is ranking 4th of the world's best cities. Canada and Europe have a totally different understanding of the role of the government as the United States, so don't complain when you elect Republicans in office. Europe and also Canada care about prestige to attract and satisfy citizens and tourists. The US builds randomly as long as it brings money. The government here doesn't feel responsible because they value the freedom of the market and as less government interference as possible. So yes, I haven't seen any city in the United States that can top a city within the EU. If you really want to live in a city that is equal to Vancouver or better, than move to Vancouver, Canada or the central Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Luxembourg).

if you want all of this stuff, you need a welfare state with an income tax rate of at least 50%.

Last edited by NewCalifornian; 08-04-2009 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: conclusion

Old 08-04-2009, 06:14 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
I've been to Vancouver. Great city, beautiful, clean. But I'd still rather live in San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego