Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego has better Quality-of-Life to offer for a seasoned IT Manager 42 yrs/kids/17 yrs experienc
Definitely Not 1 20.00%
Same as New York 1 20.00%
Better and Warmer than New York 1 20.00%
Definitely better than New York (specially healthier) 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,141 times

Advertisements

I am an asian-indian immigrant who worked and lived in NY metro area since 1996. I have a BS in Maths and MS in Computer Science. With 17+ years experience in banks and financial services, and currently working as an IT manager, I have experience as Project/Change/Delivery/Release Management areas with hands on with UNIX/PERL/enterprise-architecture/J2EE/Oracle/ web/etc. Here I am working with $100K-$130K salaries.

Recently I am unable to take my allergy situation in spring and fall and it is getting worse. I have family history of asthma, blood pressure, diabetes, heart attacks, and arthritis. So far I am Diabetic, big pollen allergy problems, have high cholesterol, and borderline high blood pressure.

Since I moved in White Plains, NY area (1996), it was always easy for me to get contractor or permanent jobs in IT (from Programmer to Sr Manager/Director) even in the times of post 2001 and this recession. Apart from my car, I own only the basic stuff which I can either bring or throw away.

Would it be wise for me to move with my three toddler kids and girlfriend to move in San Diego area? Is this a good place to raise kids?

What are the big fortune 100 employers out here and how big are their IT departments ? As I am a US citizen, are there any defense IT jobs as well ?

I am recently waiting to be laid-off and trying to look for jobs in southern CA and Arizona. So far I haven't found as many big employers postings as I usually find of NY Metro area.

I have savings and within 1-3 years time, after securing a job I might consider buying a house rather than renting.

In fact, any warmer place like Arizona or other part of CA should be nice - only I just want to get a bit away from San Jose - Silicon Valley rush.

Please advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:15 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
You will have an incredibly difficult time finding a job at your level here. There is effectively zero Fortune 100 presence in San Diego and very few Fortune 500.

LA / OC will be better in that regard, but San Diego is a much nicer place to live.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 08-08-2009 at 09:50 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 09:17 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustedNYker View Post
As I am a US citizen, are there any defense IT jobs as well ?
People in defense jobs in San Diego are getting laid off. (I survived May, I survived July. In September ... it may be my turn. :-( ) So in the near term, don't count on getting hired by defense. Farther out, I still kind of doubt it, since the Dems are the majority in Congress. They tend to do less defense spending than the Republicans.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Having lived on both the east coast, (NYC & DC) and San Diego, you will find your allergy situation in San Diego much better. I find that from time to time something will bloom that will make life unpleasant for 3 days, and then it goes away.

The pace of life in San Diego is much easier with a lot more opportunities for spending time outdoors. However, pay is significantly lower here than in New York. The Defense industry is still a major employer here, but as Oddstray said, the likelihood of substantial spending increases in that area are nil. Basically, if you can get a job, you will like San Diego, but will you be able to get a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego