Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 9,459 times

Advertisements

This is the best description about San Diego I have read so far this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
My wife and I walked past a closed restaurant in Pacific Beach last week. There was a line of at least 25 people standing outside. I asked someone what was going on. They said there was an ad on Craigslist looking for restaurant help. However, the doors were locked and no interviewers could be found. Bad joke or bad timing? No sure.

Unless you're in the healthcare field or the sex industry, ain't many employers hiring in SD right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,524,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Unless you're in the healthcare field or the sex industry, ain't many employers hiring in SD right now.
Northrop Grumman has 112 jobs open in San Diego right now. There are around 4000 NG employees in San Diego.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:23 AM

14 posts, read 42,823 times
This is not an impulsive move for me Mature educated and experienced -- seeking moderate climate
hate the butt sweat heat of the SE after having lived in the USVI, while working for a national healthcare company out of FL. I dont like the seasons changing. I got some dough -- I am interested in grabbing some foreclosed property in SD and making it my palace and having it paid for-- then life is simple and even simpler.

I have no ties nor family nor bills to speak of.... I am free as a bird- Love the combination of culture beach mountains and desert SD has to offer -- This AM on CBS Sunday morning -- the lead story was the bleak economical picture of CA -- however later Ben Stein gave his opinion and I tend to agree with him optimistically -- CA is more poised to recover faster and better than anywhere in the US Im in the rust belt -- temporarily -- and it is rough My local bartender says-- Dont you know no one works in Cleveland " Houses are selling in DC-- I own one there and it is rented but it will sell as no one can tolerate the commute there--

Obsessed with sun gardening hiking biking and being outdoors near the sea -- Also I love agaves !!!

CIAO all-- headed there 9-16 !!! Ill make it -- I saw where Bertrands on Mister A ? upscale restaurant sought a mature educated - knowledgeable waiter -- I am that -- Check averages still around $100 per person -- So some are eating out and spending the dough they have !

Cant take life too seriously !!! One must embrace life !!!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 AM

9,523 posts, read 30,390,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.searching View Post
CIAO all-- headed there 9-16 !!! Ill make it -- I saw where Bertrands on Mister A ? upscale restaurant sought a mature educated - knowledgeable waiter -- I am that -- Check averages still around $100 per person -- So some are eating out and spending the dough they have !

You're kidding yourself, but good luck.

High-end restaurants are closing left and right.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 AM

14 posts, read 42,823 times
Im a realist and can hear frank reality-- I m in CLEVELAND right now -- only temporarily the Rust Belt - unemployment has been high for the 2 yrs since I arrived -- There are only 450K left in the city because everyone is leaving SD has 1.2 million -- theres going to be something for me -- Look at the bio tech industry still growing NG growing in SD as previously reported

Its about perception -

Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 AM

20 posts, read 170,950 times
Default No job and moving to san diego? good luck

Yeah even with money i wouldnt suggest it. Not to be rude but california, san diego is full of younger college folk .. beautifull ... it's gonna be hard at 52 to find a waiter job in this town.

San Diego economy is destroyed and regardless of what ben stein says and i dont put much into what he's saying , but california is poised for a comeback but not this year and not next and i know alot of older folks or easterners dont want to hear this , but hemp and marijuana are gonna be the driving forces there along with other green jobs.

Like someone else said .. is you are in the sex industy great, medical ... ecspecially medical marijuana , great .. any thing else... yeh well you have been warned

Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,867,448 times
Quote:

So I expect to read a post in 2 months about how you are in real financial trouble and will be running back home?

My friends on are furlough to keep jobs-those are the ones who have stayed. Most of us have left town for jobs in other states. But you won't listen to us anyhow.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:56 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,303,611 times
Quote:
Im a realist and can hear frank reality-- I m in CLEVELAND right now -- only temporarily the Rust Belt - unemployment has been high for the 2 yrs since I arrived -- There are only 450K left in the city because everyone is leaving SD has 1.2 million -- theres going to be something for me -- Look at the bio tech industry still growing NG growing in SD as previously reported

Its about perception -
Hey Bill, you were posting similar comments and questions a couple of months ago and getting similar responses. Hope you get that great job you think will be in San Diego for you, but be prepared to wait a long time.

Nita

Old 08-11-2009, 03:57 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,303,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
So I expect to read a post in 2 months about how you are in real financial trouble and will be running back home?

My friends on are furlough to keep jobs-those are the ones who have stayed. Most of us have left town for jobs in other states. But you won't listen to us anyhow.
i doubt he will come back to share that part with us.

Nita

Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 AM

676 posts, read 3,070,228 times
Quote:

Its about perception -
It sounds like someone has been reading The Secret

There is some truth you can't be all doom and glum and expect to get a job. There is something about projecting a positive attitude and getting something good in return. I feel like I am a realist too, but unfortunately I tend to be more of the negative, half-empty type of realist! I want to desperately get back to CA from NC, but I just don't see how we can do it this year. I feel like we need to wait at least 1-2 more years to make the move back....I am also not a risk taker and willing to move anywhere without a job first lined up. I like having a big savings account, not draining it to live the CA dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego