Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 PM

457 posts, read 1,344,824 times

Advertisements

All UCs are better than any CSUs reputation-wise. That said SDSU is a good school as well and I know a couple history majors who go there. being from Illinois is going to be very tough to get in to UCLA obviously, but UCI, UCSD, and UCSB won't be a piece of cake to get in to either from out of state. But if you're an above average student you should probably get in to at least one of those UCs + SDSU.

I can't answer which one you should go to but if it were me: 1) UCSD 2) UCSB 3) SDSU 4) UCI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 04:12 PM

77 posts, read 228,067 times
Yeh i got accepted to SDSU and am waiting for the UC's, id concider myself above average (CA GPA 4.0, ACT 29, SAT II's 800 and 600). Do u know if the budget will help out of staters because they want the extra tuition money?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:49 PM

457 posts, read 1,344,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamrockerfs View Post
Yeh i got accepted to SDSU and am waiting for the UC's, id concider myself above average (CA GPA 4.0, ACT 29, SAT II's 800 and 600). Do u know if the budget will help out of staters because they want the extra tuition money?
Ok I think you'll get into all of them with the possible exception of UCSD. I'm unsure though how they're messing with admissions because of the budget crisis.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:58 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,505 times
You are from Illinois yet you want to go out of state for a teaching degree? That's like leaving Florida because you want sunshine.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You are from Illinois yet you want to go out of state for a teaching degree? That's like leaving Florida because you want sunshine.
good point.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:10 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,068,771 times
Quote:
I am a high school senior and am looking to become a history teacher by getting a bachelors in history then either a masters in education or in history then get a teaching certificate. I really like California and may want to live their when i have to settle down. What is your knowledge of the History program at each of theses schools. If got into UCLA id go there but the odds are stacked against me (im from Illinois).
Hi;
Just a thought,in addition:
Consider small private schools/colleges in CA. [Seems like many commenters to your post,jumped in under the assumption that you are concerned financially-when you have not stated that money was an issue. People also gave you advice based on working for the state of CA when you are graduated-when there are other options,including private and charter schools,(and charter schools are continuing to grow in numbers).

In any case,private colleges usually have endowments and can provide more aid to students in the form of grants and non-need based aid,than the state schools,which do have some aid for residents,but not all that much. Basically,you could end up with a package at a private school,that costs much less than you would pay as an out of state resident at a CA state school/UC.

And private colleges usually have smaller classes and for your purposes,ie,school teacher,you don't need name recognition such as berkely,ucla,etc.

Then again,it certainly isn't going to hurt you to attend ucla,if you really want to go to school there.

AND,big AND,you may find you do something else with your degree,or major in something other than history,once you get started,so there's no need to railroad your options and 'play it safe',by staying in IL. I disagree with people who told you to do so.

The future is uncertain,but economics and education always ebb and flow.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-21-2010 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Actually im leaving illinois partly cause yes I WANT SUNSHINE AND NICE WEATHER. But $ for college is not an issue I have a sister who went to Brown. Also just for your info if your interested Ive gotten into Irvine and am waiting on the others though i think i would go with SB and SD over Irvine

Old 03-21-2010, 07:11 PM

Ive gotten into UCSD (will probably get into SB). Im pretty sure il go with SD

Old 03-21-2010, 07:20 PM

450 posts, read 1,406,419 times
Quote:
Ive gotten into UCSD (will probably get into SB). Im pretty sure il go with SD
Make sure you visit the campuses and meet students at schools before accepting! The culture, campus life, attitude, etc... are very different at UCSD and UCSB. You can't really put it down on paper without visiting and seeing the difference for yourself. Also, if you were African American I would not recommend UCSD due to the racial tension at the campus. Blacks are not feeling very welcome after a fraternity party mocked African Americans and Compton, CA (a city with a large African American population) and then later a noose was found in the school library.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:33 PM

Yeh ive heard, i am half indian(asian), half white. I have been to both campus' and chatted with students and im going with SD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego