U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2009, 04:08 PM

15 posts, read 24,412 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with the Carlsbad or San Diego School District and special education? We are moving to the San Diego area and I want to choose the best school district for special education. I have an autistic son (moderate) who is in special ed kindergarten right now, has a behavioral aide and gets outside OT through the school distric 2x per week. We also get ABA through the Regional Center. Commuting is not an issue as my husband and I work from home.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 6,955 times
Although we don't live in those districts, can warn anyone: stay away from Santee!I think you would benefit from joining the sd aut intervention yahoo group. They can answer so many questions you will have./ give opinions on therapists, etc. I found it through the local TACA chapter that meets in RB (Rancho Bernardo). The sd yahoo group seems to have a ton of members from North County & know there ones of course, in SDUSD. You might enjoy the mothers' night out (or spouse) the sd group has monthly, too.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:36 AM

7,173 posts, read 18,615,442 times
My wife is a mild/mod sped teacher with a Master's in Autism. The support levels for programs vary widely from district-to-district and even school-to-school and many suburban districts (even in wealthy areas) can have very poor support. Generally speaking the large districts to a better job with sped than the small districts.

Rather than looking at districts per se you should try to be looking at schools and teachers. There is only one program in San Diego that produces Masters grads in Sped w/ Autism specialization, that program sends most of it's grads to SDUSD schools as they have a partnership agreement. If you can locate teachers from this program, they will most likely be your best bet. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:13 PM

15 posts, read 24,412 times
Thank you!

Old 09-03-2009, 05:04 PM

8 posts, read 21,726 times
I've heard that Poway is good. We're moving into that district in two weeks and my son is also autistic

Old 09-20-2009, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 6,754 times
You should also try Fallbrook. Its far north up Highway 15 and a little rural for San Diego. But because it is a smal town I have been told this smal town has a great program for Autistic children. They too have an excelent regular school program

Old 09-20-2009, 10:43 PM

132 posts, read 405,856 times
Or you could try the best:

The San Dieguito Union High School District. Since you're considering Carlsbad....why not get into La Costa Canyon or San Dieguito Academy? I went to SDA and these schools are some of the best public schools in the state. I'm sure they have great autistic programs.....People with millions living in Rancho Santa Fe send their kids to Torrey Pines High or SDA (another one in the San Dieguito District)....best of all, these schools are free!

SDA, LCC and Torrey Pines are the best public schools in San Diego, along with Poway....although the coastal location is much better....Poway is super hot.

Don't bother with Carlsbad high. It's subpar and with children, subpar doesn't cut it. There's a reason my friend who lives in Carlsbad bailed to La Costa Canyon! The San Dieguito District is heads and shoulders above the rest....Poway is damn good also as is La Jolla.

Don't settle for anything but the best. I say shoot for LCC since your considering Carlsbad and you can always get an district transfer.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 13,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaland transplant View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Carlsbad or San Diego School District and special education? We are moving to the San Diego area and I want to choose the best school district for special education. I have an autistic son (moderate) who is in special ed kindergarten right now, has a behavioral aide and gets outside OT through the school distric 2x per week. We also get ABA through the Regional Center. Commuting is not an issue as my husband and I work from home.
My daughter with autism goes to Twin Oaks Elementary School, and they have been incredible. Not only have they given me everything that I've ever asked for on my IEP -- they actually recommended additional services that they thought would benefit my child. Every teacher, aide, or service provider we've encountered has been supportive and wonderful. This school is in the San Marcos Unified School District (in North San Diego County adjacent to Carlsbad). Good luck!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 6,074 times
I have worked with a boy who is in the Solana Beach school district. For the school year, they have all of the kids bussed to one school in Solana Beach, so there is a classroom of Special Ed kids. They do some inclusion for moderate/high functioning kids I think. I was an aide in the classroom one summer when I was in a High School (almost 4 years ago now) and have worked with a boy who is still in the school district. The good thing about SBUSD is that it feeds into San Dieguito school district and there they also have one school where all of the special ed kids go, and have some inclusion programs, I think. Personally, I went to Solana Santa Fe Elementary (part of the solana beach school district) and there was a special day class for kids with mild learning disabilities. Then I went to Earl Warren Middle School and Torrey Pines High School which is where the special ed classes are. From what I saw, inclusion was mainly in the PE classes or lunchtimes. I helped a girl when I was in Middle School during PE and I knew kids who helped out during High School. There is a lot of money in these districts (Solana Beach and San Dieguito) because they are located in nicer areas of San Diego, so they may have better programs. I don't know a whole lot about their special ed programs, but as a typical student, I received a really great education which made my transfer to college much easier than some of my fellow students. If you have any typical kids, these districts are great, I just can’t say a whole lot about their Special Ed. Also, I know that they offer OT, Speech and sometimes music therapy depending on IEP's. I was just involved in the summer school, so maybe it is more relaxed, but I felt that sometimes they didn't challenge the kids enough, like they weren't reaching their full potential. But, I also know that the mom I work for was sending her son (who has moderate Down's) to Kumon (a tutoring center) to get better at reading and Math and I was helping after school with that. I worked as a respite aid for the regional center and one mom wanted to hold her son back in Kindergarten one more year because she wanted him to reach his goals, but the district wouldn’t let her (I think Encinitas School district), so she was thinking of home-schooling him for a year. Your best bet would be to go on sites specifically for autism to find out your best answer. This is all speaking from personal experience, so there may be people who can help you more.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 AM

516 posts, read 756,912 times
San Diego Teen- As much as you love LCC and San Dieguito High schools they are in no way one of the best schools in the county. These schools have high test scores because the students come from some of the wealthiest families in the county, not because the school has great academics.

I am copying and pasting this from a previous thread:
"LCC, with a 2009 growth API of 818 is nearly 40 points below its similar schools average of 857. In its 2008 API/ index of 100 similar schools it was actually the lowest performing school in its bracket in the entire state of california. So the score of 818 is very misleading.
SDA has a similar problem. They have an API score of 816, which is nearly 50 points below its similar schools average of 865. These schools are underperforming horribly relative to how affluent the student population is.

Now consider a high school such as Mission Hills in San Marcos. This school is not affluent whatsoever...mainly middle and lower class. Nearly 25% of students there are considered English learners, while 40% are considered socioeconomically disadvantaged. Yet this school achieved a 2009 growth API score of 812, only 4 points lower than San Dieguito Academy, where only 8% of students are english learners and 10% are socioeconomically disadvantaged. The fact that a school that has three times the percentage of students that can hardly speak english is performing at the same level as a school that is 80% caucasian is pathetic. The 2009 growth API for Mission Hills (812) is over 50 points higher than its similar schools API of 756. Just something you should consider."

San Dieguito Union High may be a wealthy district, but does that mean SDA and LCC are good schools academically? no. Although you may have had a great experience at SDA, in my personal opinion and based on statistical evidence, SDA and LCC are the subpar schools. Plus youre statement that Carlsbad is subpar compared to LCC and SDA seems a stretch given that the API score of Carlsbad is 813, San Dieguito is 816, and La Costa Canyon is 818. At least Carlsbad, a less affluent school, manages to be somewhat average compared to similar schools with a ranking of 4 (out of 10). LCC and SDA both received a 1 out of 10- the worst possible score.
Plus this topic doesnt have to do with general education, but special ed.

I have an aunt that is a speech therapist with San Marcos Unified and they have a great program there. Actually she works at Twin Oaks Elementary so KLDinSD might know her. My other aunt works at Vista unified in the special ed program. They have had a lot of funding cuts so definitely avoid Vista .
Poway, Carlsbad, and San Marcos have the best special ed programs in North County. San Dieguito is a good district for special ed as well, but the general education should be performing at much higher levels.

I would personally choose Poway, but it is more expensive to live there...

oh and there are plenty of schools that are better than LCC and SDA: Westview, Rancho Bernardo, La Jolla, Coronado, Canyon Crest, Scripps Ranch, Valhalla, Poway

Last edited by rhanifin; 04-07-2010 at 02:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego