U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:13 PM

199 posts, read 27,897 times
Default Visited SD this summer

from the bay area..

SD is my 2nd favorite city in CA after SF, because l.a sucks... i wanted to ask a few questions though, regarding some things i noticed

1. is it a common thing over there to dress up like an extra from the movie GREASE? that "rockabily" style... i saw a lot of people dressed up like that, mostly dudes, and i wanted to fight all of them.

2. is it just me, or is everybody in SD hella tall? i'm 6'2, and i dont usually feel short or "average" but down there everybody seems tall as hell. even the girls, i saw a bunch of girls that had to be at least 6 feet tall.. with flip flops.

3. Coronado is the best place ever, right?

4. how does it feel to have the best summer weather evarrrrrrrr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 09:26 PM

15 posts, read 35,792 times
1. It really depends on where you go. Being a visitor, one would assume that you've been to areas such as Ocean Beach, where it might be more common than say, Del Mar.

2. Yes, the water being funneled down from Northern CA is treated with growth hormones before it makes it to SD taps...

3. It's great to visit, expensive to live of course.

4. Not sure that I agree with that as it can get quite hot out in the eastern areas. Though again, being a visitor, you probably stayed along the coast, where the weather is indeed great.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:38 PM

i was in san marcos, la mesa and chula vista (not SD i know, but in the area) but mostly the coast.. it was so weird to me, the grease thing.

in regards to the weather, it was hot as hell near that wild animal park, like unbearably hot, but san marcos was pleasant, and san diego was great the entire time i was there. i thought bay area weather was great, i got my ass kicked down there.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 PM

7,063 posts, read 17,477,075 times
rockabilly thing was big in the late 90's-early 2k's but seems to have died out by now, most of those dudes are auto mechanics and most of the chicks are fat.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:39 PM

2,495 posts, read 5,282,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
rockabilly thing was big in the late 90's-early 2k's but seems to have died out by now, most of those dudes are auto mechanics and most of the chicks are fat.
I know a fat rockabilly chick that's an auto mechanic. No joke.

She has changed not one bit since high school, many years ago...

Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 9,912 times
Where you were is hot in general. And San Diego is having an overly warm summer. More humid these last few years which sucks.

The rockabily look is not common. What is would be the more I call "OC" look with straight brimmed hats a little sideways and Dikies shorts, plus alot of tattoe's or however it's spelled (think Jesse James). I can't stand the look myself but whatever.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:44 PM

10,129 posts, read 12,727,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDsince98 View Post
And San Diego is having an overly warm summer. .
Actually it's been having a very mild and below normal summer overall compared to average. Only the last two weeks of July and first week of August appeared to normal or above normal, the rest of the summer since May has been below normal. This week the temps are finally returning to normal though.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:52 PM

61 posts, read 118,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post
from the bay area..

SD is my 2nd favorite city in CA after SF, because l.a sucks... i wanted to ask a few questions though, regarding some things i noticed

1. is it a common thing over there to dress up like an extra from the movie GREASE? that "rockabily" style... i saw a lot of people dressed up like that, mostly dudes, and i wanted to fight all of them.

2. is it just me, or is everybody in SD hella tall? i'm 6'2, and i dont usually feel short or "average" but down there everybody seems tall as hell. even the girls, i saw a bunch of girls that had to be at least 6 feet tall.. with flip flops.

I highly doubt you seen alot of "rockabily" style people. Unless they were all together at the same place. and im sure theres as many tall people in SF as SD.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 PM

i saw them in s. marcos, i saw them at fashion valley outdoor mall, in coronado and some in "gaslamp" or that part of the downtown area
anyway, i did notice that it was humid while i was out there.. but it wasn't as anoying as east coast humidity.. still felt a little weird being used to dry heat up north.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:15 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,800,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post
from the bay area..

1) No, it's not common, but there is that scene. You must have been in an area where that is popular. I lived in OC for a time and it's really big in Anaheim for some reason. Like old Anaheim, not Disneyland Anaheim.
2) I'm from San Diego and I'm 5'10", so I have no idea what you're taking about. Again, I think like the rockabilly dressing you may have hit a particular segment on your visit. And you're not complaining about 6-foot-tall women in flip flops, right?
3) Coronado is ok, but best place ever? Not sure.
4) It feels really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego