U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2009, 10:07 PM
PSW PSW started this thread

5 posts, read 11,277 times
Default Solana Beach to RB commute

Hi there,

I work in Rancho Bernardo and am considering renting a place in Solana Beach. I'm just wondering if that stretch on the I-5 from Via De La Valle down to the 56 is a total mess in the morning? And what's the return trip like?

Any insights appreciated.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:47 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,878,075 times
So did you move to San Diego? I remember your post about Gaslamp and La Jolla.

Can't help you with your Solana Beach commute....

Old 08-25-2009, 08:32 AM

7,129 posts, read 18,114,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSW View Post
Hi there,

I work in Rancho Bernardo and am considering renting a place in Solana Beach. I'm just wondering if that stretch on the I-5 from Via De La Valle down to the 56 is a total mess in the morning? And what's the return trip like?

Any insights appreciated.

thanks!
It's really sort of a reverse commute. The only problems will be returning home in the afternoon you will hit traffic on 5N between the 56 and Via De La Valle and that can be really bad. But you can take the alternate route through Carmel Valley to Via Del la Valle and then PCH if need be. The weird thing there is that you are going south to go north.

Alternatively you could take 78 to 15 but that freeway is nothing but trouble. Still it is mostly a reverse commute.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 PM

387 posts, read 1,712,221 times
My S/O drives from Solana Beach to Scripps Ranch every day, so a somewhat similar commute. It isn't too bad. Like Sassberto said, it's a reverse commute, and it can get bad in the afternoon, but it isn't the worst traffic ever. It's a lot more crowded in the summer months because of the fair and racing season, but he hasn't had any problems with the commute. Good luck with your decision!

Forgot to add: the morning commute isn't too bad. Traffic starts picking up right around Via de la Valle and it doesn't take too long to get to the 56.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 PM

4,364 posts, read 3,849,750 times
Here are a couple of potential off-freeway routes. I don't know what traffic issues would be involved during commuting hours. Maybe someone else reading this can comment.

S-8 (Lomas Santa Fe) through the town of Rancho Santa Fe, Via de Santa Fe, El Apajo, to San Dieguito Rd, to Camino Ruiz, to Carmel Mountain Road, to Rancho Bernardo

or, probably better ...

S-6 (Del Dios Highway) past Lake Hodges and W. Via Rancho Pkwy to I-15 at North County Fair, then south to Rancho Bernardo

Old 08-27-2009, 12:10 PM
PSW PSW started this thread

5 posts, read 11,277 times
Quote:
So did you move to San Diego? I remember your post about Gaslamp and La Jolla.
Yes, I've been here about three weeks and so far, so good. I've basically ruled out Gaslamp/downtown. I did look in Little Italy and North Park as well. I just figure that I should go with SD's strengths, which isn't its core at the moment. So, I've narrowed it down to two places: one in Solana and one in La Jolla Village.

Thanks all for the info on the Solana run. It's good to know that the 5 isn't that big an issue to the 56.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,350 times
iF MY HUSBAND gets a job in solana beach, where is there a nice area to rent a place that isnt super expensive but is also nice enough to raise two kids? I know Cardiff and Encinitas is by...but what else? Carlsbad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego