Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 12:55 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times

Advertisements

We finally found an apartment we love and checked it out this week. We got a call back from the landlord, saying we are approved and they will draw up the lease today(they never even did a credit check on us, though we did provide our credit score that we printed out at home after seeing and liking the place). They want the 1st and last month's deposit up front, which is fine, but they will not accept a check. They prefer cash or money order. Is that common around here? This is over $3k, so we are kinda worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
My last apartment wanted a money order to sign the lease as well, so that in itself doesn't necessarily indicate a scam. They did do a credit check on us though.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:17 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Thanks for the response. Now they want 1st month, last month AND a security deposit up front. I thought the last month was the security deposit?

Old 08-26-2009, 01:26 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Thanks for the response. Now they want 1st month, last month AND a security deposit up front. I thought the last month was the security deposit?
Yeah that is weird, I've pretty much always avoided ads that have said that. It should just be one months rent and a security deposit/last month's rent and not all 3. I thought most places were like that, at least all the places I've rented have been, just one month rent and a deposit. I'd try to negotiate, I think renters kind of have the upper hand now as rents are flat or slightly down and vacancy's are up. I've seen a lot of For Rent signs in my area.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:32 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
For an unfurnished place, the landlord can require a security deposit of 2 months rent. They can also require the 1st month's rent upfront.

Here's the law: California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs
You'll find the security deposit requirements about 3/4 down the very long page.

Paying all initial costs in cash / money order is fairly common in CA. I had to do it a few years back.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:56 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
Quote:
thats pretty common on the east coast. it helps out when you are ready to move because you wont have to pay rent your last month.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:00 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
When I was a renter, I never handed over cash - ever. I might have even made the payments with a personal check, and the landlord just waited for them to clear. Of course back then, scams were rare on the landlord's side. Landlords had to pay to advertise in the newspaper. Scammers would have had to pay too. There were no free internet listings.

As for the deposits, while all 3 are allowed, typically in San Diego only 2 of these were asked for. Asking for all 3, I believe only happens in rent-controlled areas where landlords try to find ways to push their cash flow up to the market clearing price.

If you are truly worried, try being upfront with the landlord. Explain that you keep hearing these stories about internet scams and that while you don't think he is a scammer, the amount of money he is asking for upfront, requires you to be cautious. Ask the landlord for proof of ownership before handing over the money. A legitimate landlord, who has probably been burned by a few tenants here and there, frankly should be sympathetic to your concerns.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:49 PM

52 posts, read 208,883 times
I'm a landlord and I never ask for first, last and a deposit, only first and a deposit. I ALWAYS give them a receipt when I receive the rent and deposit regardless of its form (cash, check, MO) and you as a tenant should also demand that. Make sure it's itemized showing the rent and the deposit as separate line items.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
We finally found an apartment we love and checked it out this week. We got a call back from the landlord, saying we are approved and they will draw up the lease today(they never even did a credit check on us, though we did provide our credit score that we printed out at home after seeing and liking the place). They want the 1st and last month's deposit up front, which is fine, but they will not accept a check. They prefer cash or money order. Is that common around here? This is over $3k, so we are kinda worried.
We haven't rented for years, but when we did, our landlords always required first, last and a cleaning or security deposit. I don't find that at all unusual. As for no checks, well, again, I can understand that, but I would talk to him and see his reasoning. Of course get a receipt and make sure the lease spells everything out.

By paying all three up front, your rent is paid for the following month, it is paid for the last month and the sec deposit is there in case there is damage when you vacate.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego