U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 03:19 AM

1,658 posts, read 5,015,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashingsucks View Post
There is no way NC went entire year without a murder...What happened is all the people that were murdered were illegals and no one knew they were missing.
Gang injunctions and other things.And yeah.It really did happen.0
NC is still a little rough but not as rough as you might imagine or remember.Matter of fact when I visit or go threw there I don't see much problems.CV?That's a different story now days.We can blame (Mayor)Cox on that one.

No slayings in National City in '08; first time since '63
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 07:30 AM

8,307 posts, read 9,873,935 times
I had a friend who lived in El Cajon in the early 90,s. I had a chance to live their (near the mall) but i didnt. The weather is quite different then SD. I remember driving by the chargers stadium. I regret not moving their cause SD is not far away & their is so much to do in SD & the ocean is not far as well. SD is a beautiful city (for the most part). El Cajon is centrally located & every city has its bad eliments.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,771 times
Alright guys. I just read all 7 pages of posts ahead of mine, and I've got to say that I am extremely offended by what's being said about East County. This is the best place in the country to live, regardless of what the folks in Del Mar or Oceanside will tell you. The diversity out here is incredible. I love the rural feel of where I live in Lakeside, and I've grown up spending my days in El Cajon whether at school or church. Admittedly, I wouldn't want to live on Anza south of El Cajon Valley High School, but most people don't. There are bad areas in El Cajon, but they are very avoidable and are not dangerous to drive through. Santee is a beautiful, growing, thriving suburb surrounded completely by vacant hills (except for the new Sky Ranch), giving it a rural feel.

Alright, so my point is that the more dangerous areas in El Cajon do not drag down the rest of East County. We have perfect weather (coolish winters and nice, HOT summers), are surrounded by beautiful hills and mountains, and are 30 minutes from almost anything you can imagine. There is nothing wrong with the people out here and there is nothing "in the water". Every town has its problems, and just because a town seems disagreeable to you does not mean it is a bad town.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:37 AM

132 posts, read 389,823 times
I grew up in Encinitas and was warned, even by bleeding heart liberals (and I am one of them hahah)...to never, never go to El Cajon.

I have never gone there....not once. I might drive through to see how bad it actually is...but from what I hear....I'll stay in Encinitas....

Old 11-15-2009, 12:44 AM

461 posts, read 813,415 times
You know I really like this thread for one reason.

There are places all over this country that are bad, places that are dangerous, generally unpleasant places to be.

And people are talking about El Cajon as one of those places.

It just gives me a laugh.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:19 AM

1,008 posts, read 1,267,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTeen View Post
I grew up in Encinitas and was warned, even by bleeding heart liberals (and I am one of them hahah)...to never, never go to El Cajon.

I have never gone there....not once. I might drive through to see how bad it actually is...but from what I hear....I'll stay in Encinitas....
Well, Encinitas is on the other end of the spectrum. Encinitas is full of spoiled rich people, Paris Hilton types. and trust fund hippies. Lots of complete yuppies too. Many people up in Encinitas think that they are in the ghetto if every car on the street isn't worth at least 30K and if they see one person who isn't white walking around.

El Cajon is not that dangerous. It's just a trashy, rough and ignorant city. But to warn somebody to never go there is just stupid, it's not that dangerous of a place. Southeast San Diego and Logan Heights are the REALLY dangerous parts. El Cajon is just an ugly cesspool.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,598 times
I'm 22 years old and grew up on the streets of El Cajon. It's late so I'm going to make this short. After reading through most of the pages in this thread I have realized that El Cajon is misunderstood. Crime here is not any higher than other cities in the county of San Diego. I think that people that aren't from here judge everyone by their "cover". I mean yeah, there's a tweeker here and there and maybe a couple gangsters but coming from someone who knows the "streets" of El Cajon and how they're ran, these people will never harm you or antagonize you unless you provoke it(It's street code).

I understand everyone's perspective in this thread because I put interracial cultural indifference's and trust me, coming from a Hispanic young man, most white people here in El Cajon look down on most minorities. Unless you speak perfect English using perfect grammar and dress "normally" at all times, white people will give you dirty looks and will treat you like you're a potential criminal. I have NEVER committed a violent crime and always treat people with kindness and respect, if you do the same(treat people with respect), you will get it back no matter what the circumstances are. I guarantee it!

If anyone else has read through this entire thread please don't listen to most of these idiots, I walked to and from school from 6-12 grade and always walked everywhere when I was younger without EVER having a problem, come visit El Cajon and I will kindly give you a tour of our wonderful city.

-Daniel

Edit: Please excuse my English, as it is not my first language.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:59 AM

17,176 posts, read 13,095,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Well, Encinitas is on the other end of the spectrum. Encinitas is full of spoiled rich people, Paris Hilton types. and trust fund hippies. Lots of complete yuppies too. Many people up in Encinitas think that they are in the ghetto if every car on the street isn't worth at least 30K and if they see one person who isn't white walking around.

El Cajon is not that dangerous. It's just a trashy, rough and ignorant city. But to warn somebody to never go there is just stupid, it's not that dangerous of a place. Southeast San Diego and Logan Heights are the REALLY dangerous parts. El Cajon is just an ugly cesspool.

I definitely agree, though parts of El Cajon are nice and wealthy. Parts of Chula Vista, NC and Linda Vista need visited only during daylight hours too.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:58 PM

114 posts, read 187,822 times
No, I have to agree with you. Since September, I go to Grossmont Collegle and use the Trolley via El Cajon Trolley Station. I live in San Diego which means I can see the ocean and the border (maybe 1/2 mile of Euclid Trolley station. And I can't help it, but I always thought that El Cajonians are kind of ... "weird". Nothing against El Cajon. I think it has a beautiful sight although I have never been in Downtown, but what I see at the station is enough, I think.

Coming form Germany I never expected to see those people here, too. We call them "Asis". This stands for anti-social which means for some reason they do not fit into the society.

But this seems to be "normal" here in San Diego County.
-There are also the Euclid Trolley-City Heights-Lemon Grove people which are kind of ghetto but at the same time they care about how people view them because they spend some money on outward appearance and their cars.
-Then there are the San Diego Downtown-SDSU-Old Town people who I consider as normal.
-And then there are those Mission Beach-Coronado-La Jolla people. You know, those who can actually see the beach from home and walk less than 10 minutes to the beach. They rarely use public transit, but if you see them, you know that they have a lot of money.

Last edited by NewCalifornian; 11-17-2009 at 01:08 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 PM

643 posts, read 818,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Off and on, i've lived in El Cajon since 2001. And spent a total of about 4 solid years in the city. First of all I want to say that I am not "slamming" El Cajon here. I am simply sharing my honest opinion after living in El Cajon for a significant amount of time.

It is a very strange place. A very rough town.

It is not uncommon to see people going crazy on hard drugs, or losing their minds from mental illness on the streets. A drive across town and you will see dozens of such people. Some of them are regulars who I have seen since the beginning. Constantly wandering up and down Broadway and Main streets. I have nothing at all against homeless people, in fact I have love for them and I want to help them when I see them, but most of the ones you encounter in El Cajon are not the harmless, down on their luck types, they are more like the hardcore, mean, drug addict types.

As for the "regular" people in El Cajon. I would describe them as hedonistic, trailer trash. Now don't get me wrong, I am a working class guy myself, i've even lived in trailer parks, and I am about as far as you can get from having a silver spoon in my mouth. But the culture in El Cajon makes me feel like a high-class gentleman. Big lifted trucks, gangsta/thug mentality and extreme machoism are the name of the game in EC. Lots of MMA looking people wearing TAPOUT shirts, lots of women who look like tacky strippers, lots of gangsta types with sideways hats, lots of "bros" wearing black socks pulled way up and flat-bill hats. A general culture of anti-intellectualism and outlaw thuggishness.

Everyone in El Cajon seems t have a paranoia of each other. Avoiding eye contact. Getting nervous if eye contact is made. They seem to be afraid of each others violent tendencies.

The interesting thing is that if you travel east into La Mesa it instantly changes into a much more family-friendly sort of environment, with healthy looking people jogging and people carrying themselves in a more peaceful, relaxed manner.

Then you go into San Diego. And it suddenly turns into that stereotypical, laid back, California beach culture. It is amazing how fast it changes.

This is the fasicinating thing about El Cajon to me. That it is not isolated, it is a mere 15 miles from San Diego I believe. Yet the culture and entire way of life is so radically different. Somtimes it seems like there must be something in the water in El Cajon. I just cannot believe that the people act the way that they do, yet they seem to be oblivious and unaware of it. To them, this way of life is normal

It is too bad. El Cajon is a place with beautiful weather, surrounding by gorgeous hills, close to San Diego, close to the desert. It has a lot going for it. But the culture is just unsavory.

So, am I just crazy? Or is there some truth to what i'm saying here?
I grew up in El Cajon. It was a very nice town from the 80's til maybe the mid 90's. I still highly recommend Granite Hills and Crest however. East County in general is going down hill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego