U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:17 PM

13,158 posts, read 23,525,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Too bad there's no way the CA legislature will approve new drilling sites.
Not just drilling... there were plans to build a new refinery that spent years winding through in the regulatory process before the those applying simply gave up...

Anyone remember the MTBE fiasco? Poisoned Ground Water in many places... including Lake Tahoe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 12:13 AM

205 posts, read 347,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom View Post
I see numerous posts about how insanely expensive things are there, and I was wondering what, exactly, people are referring to. I realize housing is costly, but surely not so much more than other large metropolitan areas.

San Diego isn't really that expensive compared to San Fran and LA, the difference is the salaries in SD are not comparable with the cost of living.

The labor department published a wage chart many years ago for major cities in CA. San Diego was the lowest paying of all the large metropolitan areas.

I lived there for 9 years with a good job and barely made ends meet because I aspired to live in a decent ( not luxurious) community.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:18 AM

205 posts, read 347,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom View Post
I see numerous posts about how insanely expensive things are there, and I was wondering what, exactly, people are referring to. I realize housing is costly, but surely not so much more than other large metropolitan areas.

San Diego isn't really that expensive compared to San Fran and LA, the difference is the salaries in SD are not comparable with the cost of living.

The labor department published a wage chart many years ago for major cities in CA. San Diego was the lowest paying of all the large metropolitan areas.

I lived there for 9 years with a good job and barely made ends meet because I aspired to live in a decent ( not luxurious) community.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:10 AM

7 posts, read 10,443 times
Default Two things....

I've lived here for most of my life and the biggest factors I think are:

1) High home prices/ rent prices
2) Relatively low wages compared to comparable cities

That's a bad combo. Other things like groceries, health insurance, utilities also cost more. For example, I lived in a nicer apt in University City around 2001. Water, trash, and sewer set me back 130/month on top of my rent which was already high. Electricity in CA also gives a pretty good hit. Add in cable/internet that's double what it is in some other parts of the country , etc. etc. etc. In many of the apts I've rented while I was in school (in different states), water trash, sewer, and sometimes even electric/gas was included in the rent. Why?? Because if they didn't, people wouldn't rent. Here in SD, they don't care. If you don't sign the lease, some other shmo will be right behind you. It's all about supply and demand. You can lose a few thousand dollars a year with little things like that.

In my opinion, the added expense of living in SD is like an insidious fat girl in fishnets sitting next to you at the bar. You know, the one that kinda rubs her thigh up against you without you really noticing cause you've got a decent buzz goin' and you're workin' on the hot, semi-intoxicated coed on your left. And then you wise up to her evil plot and you're like "Dude, what's this unbridled hussy tryin' to pull here? And then you look back to your left and the coed is rubbin' up on some backwards hat wearin frat-knob. So then you're like, "We'll, a couple more down the hatch and I'm game for swingin' from them beef curtains, I've seen bigger - plus, she'll double as a waterbed. But like our wayward hero who awakens the next morning next to a mountainous mass of womanly muffin-love encased in a fishnet bodystocking, you'll reach retirement age in SD and go, "Why the hell am I still living in a place where everything is way less attractive than it seemed a short time ago. Damn shame.....

Old 09-17-2009, 11:02 PM

302 posts, read 349,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Off the top of my head that's the #1 thing, home prices. At least 4X the national average. So that means you nead 8x the national average income as an individual to own a home there.

It's actually less than 2x.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:04 PM

48,022 posts, read 43,556,955 times
no winter.
(sunshine tax)
litigation #1 sport.
low wage jobs rising but housing costs remain the same
avalanche of illegal immigration
and the giant sucking sound of teledyne ryan, rohr and other mega industries leaving.
that and a whole lota high maintenance women.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-17-2009 at 11:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego