Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:48 AM

360 posts, read 1,532,972 times

Advertisements

I lived and worked in San Diego for over 20 years and recently left for greener pastures. While housing is the big factor in the high cost of living, San Diego has also ranked #1 in gasoline prices and utility rates in national surveys. Granted, most people don't have to use much AC or heat, but what you pay for what little you use is high. Homeowners' insurance and auto insurance are also expensive. And don't forget taxes...sales tax at 8.75% & a 9.3% marginal income tax rate. Both may go higher with the current budget "crisis" in Sacramento. And if you can afford a single family home for $400,000... you'll pay over $4,000/year in property taxes. As others have noted, many people are willing to make financial sacrifices to live in San Diego. When the quality of life didn't support what I had to pay to live there, I left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom View Post
I just looked in the Washington Post real estate section, and there were no single family houses for sale within 30 miles of the city under $600k. Houses in the distant burgs were around $400k. So my question still is what makes people think SD is more expensive than other large metro areas?
If I moved to the DC metro I could probably bank a 30% pay increase with no additional responsibilities. It would also open up career paths that do not exist here. San Diego has DC housing costs but midwestern salaries.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:25 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom View Post
I see numerous posts about how insanely expensive things are there, and I was wondering what, exactly, people are referring to. I realize housing is costly, but surely not so much more than other large metropolitan areas.
Off the top of my head that's the #1 thing, home prices. At least 4X the national average. So that means you nead 8x the national average income as an individual to own a home there.

Mediteranian climate probably plays into it big time, as well as a relatively lesser crime rate than say L.A. to the north.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
I lived and worked in San Diego for over 20 years and recently left for greener pastures. While housing is the big factor in the high cost of living, San Diego has also ranked #1 in gasoline prices and utility rates in national surveys. Granted, most people don't have to use much AC or heat, but what you pay for what little you use is high. Homeowners' insurance and auto insurance are also expensive. And don't forget taxes...sales tax at 8.75% & a 9.3% marginal income tax rate. Both may go higher with the current budget "crisis" in Sacramento. And if you can afford a single family home for $400,000... you'll pay over $4,000/year in property taxes. As others have noted, many people are willing to make financial sacrifices to live in San Diego. When the quality of life didn't support what I had to pay to live there, I left.
I'm probably not too far from you here in Huntsville and you're right, going from San Diego to Huntsville or Madison County is going from one extreme to another. However, I got a feeling that housing prices in California (SD, OC, LA) will continue go down, maybe not to the $120/sqft level for nice neighborhoods in Huntsville but maybe $150-$200/sqft, or a 2000 sqft home in a decent neighborhood in the $350K-$400K range. The median incomes and Alt-A/Option Arm resets pretty much point in that direction. In the past couple years per square foot housing price ratios have gone from maybe a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio to maybe a 3:2 ratio.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:37 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
It simply comes down to housing, and the fact that wages don't support the high cost of living in California.

Supply and demand is one thing, but if developers are only building expensive luxury condo's and homes that range anywhere from 300K to a dinky sized condo to well over 600K for new homes, how are working class or even middle class citizens able to afford to live here? It's almost impossible, unless you are some sort of professional, slightly rich, or move here with a ton of cash on hand.

Even older neighborhoods are expensive to live in, so it's not necessarily always about new housing construction that makes it tough to afford.

if you pick up reality ad's around town, the majority of all homes range are over 350K, some way over that considering you don't get much for your money in SD.
Agreed. Also, to me it seems gas is more expensive. Registration here for your cars is a lot. Many schools you must pay yearly for your child to ride to school etc.. just a lot of things that add up..

Old 09-13-2009, 02:57 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times
I also agree, gas prices are always higher in California for no good reason, maybe taxes? But still there is price gouging going on which is not right.

There's a gas station on Fletcher Pkwy heading towards El Cajon, right across the street from Beef N Bun that is always 50 cents to a dollar more than the competition! Gas is almost $4.00 a gallon right now at that station, and I don't understand why the price is so ridiculously high and way more than the gas stations down the street off Navajo Rd.

It's either because of greed or stupidity, why even have your doors open when your gas always cost about a dollar more than everybody else? I can't understand how the place is still open, how is the owner making money?

It's all the little stuff in California that adds up is what makes it tough to survive, and part of reason why people are broke.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:15 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
And don't forget taxes...sales tax at 8.75% & a 9.3% marginal income tax rate. Both may go higher with the current budget "crisis" in Sacramento. .
Income tax rate is already up from this. Posted at the end of August, marginal income tax rate is 9.55%

Old 09-13-2009, 05:55 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I also agree, gas prices are always higher in California for no good reason, maybe taxes?
It's true that California has one of the highest gasoline excise taxes in the nation, and it is one of the few that charges both excise and sales tax on gasoline (in effect charging sales tax on excise tax).

Putting that aside, the major driver of gas prices in California is the fact that California requires a special blend of gasoline that is different than that available anywhere else. Refiners, naturally, charge more for special orders. In addition, when there are spot shortages on the California market, those shortages cannot be satisfied by rerouting shipments from another part of the country that might be experiencing an excess of fuel. That causes price volatility and huge upward price swings whenever there is a spot shortage, followed naturally by huge downward swings when the shortage is alleviated or demand abates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619
Gas is almost $4.00 a gallon right now at that station, and I don't understand why the price is so ridiculously high and way more than the gas stations down the street off Navajo Rd.
Not being familiar with the area, I assume Fletcher Parkway is a major thoroughfare and Navajo Road isn't. That's your clue. Ever noticed that gas stations by a freeway are usually more expensive than those 1/2 mile off the freeway? They can charge more because it's convenient.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
It's true that California has one of the highest gasoline excise taxes in the nation, and it is one of the few that charges both excise and sales tax on gasoline (in effect charging sales tax on excise tax).

Putting that aside, the major driver of gas prices in California is the fact that California requires a special blend of gasoline that is different than that available anywhere else. Refiners, naturally, charge more for special orders. In addition, when there are spot shortages on the California market, those shortages cannot be satisfied by rerouting shipments from another part of the country that might be experiencing an excess of fuel. That causes price volatility and huge upward price swings whenever there is a spot shortage, followed naturally by huge downward swings when the shortage is alleviated or demand abates.

Not being familiar with the area, I assume Fletcher Parkway is a major thoroughfare and Navajo Road isn't. That's your clue. Ever noticed that gas stations by a freeway are usually more expensive than those 1/2 mile off the freeway? They can charge more because it's convenient.
Mostly Politics... CA had some of cheapest gasoline and diesel in the country... Parts of CA the oil just bubbles out of the ground naturally...

Add politics to the equation and you create shortages and high prices

Old 09-13-2009, 08:35 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Mostly Politics... CA had some of cheapest gasoline and diesel in the country... Parts of CA the oil just bubbles out of the ground naturally...
Too bad there's no way the CA legislature will approve new drilling sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego