Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:07 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times

Advertisements

VG's in Cardiff has about every kind of donut you could want and it's a real donut shop too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
My favorite independent shop is located at the NW corner of Mansfield and Adams Avenue. I don't recall the name. What I like about it is that the doughnuts are big and fluffy, and they don't over glaze them. I'm past the age where more sugar is better. Anyway, the quality and size are good, while the price is appealing.

A bit of history: In the 1970s a Cambodian refugee bought a manufacturer of doughnut making equipment, and then began selling the equipment to other Cambodian refugees on credit. That's why so many independent doughnut shops in the area are run by Cambodians and why the chain doughnut shops have such trouble establishing themselves in Southern California. The Cambodians are fierce business competitors.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:35 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
kettlepot...
Are you talking about Gold Donut: Gold Donut - Normal Heights - San Diego, CA

Didn't know that about the Cambodians. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:59 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
VG's in Cardiff has about every kind of donut you could want and it's a real donut shop too.
I'm a big fan of VG's too, been going there since I was a kid. But I'm not sure it's like Dunkin' Donuts. VG is really good, dont' get me wrong, but DD has a particular style and taste to it.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
Maybe I can convince myself that I need to try multiple stores to "sample" for the best before his birthday...hmmm.

In all seriousness, thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:14 PM

105 posts, read 298,298 times
Stardust Donuts in Imperial Beach. They've spoiled all other donuts for me, and they are famous for their lightly glazed cinnamon rolls:

Yelp reviews:
Stardust Donut Shop - Imperial Beach - Imperial Beach, CA

I can honestly say that I just don't get the DD hype, they taste like supermarket donuts to me. I think Yum Yum donuts comes the closest to DD style.

Or actually ... Winchell's Donuts.
Winchell's - Roseville - San Diego, CA

Old 09-16-2009, 11:52 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
kettlepot...
Are you talking about Gold Donut: Gold Donut - Normal Heights - San Diego, CA

Didn't know that about the Cambodians. Thanks.
A few decades ago, the Wall Street Journal published a front page article about the original Cambodian entrepreneur who bought the equipment manufacturer.

Yes, Gold Donut is the shop. As the reviews in your link say, this isn't some fancy-shmancy shop. Also, as one of the reviewers complained, there may not be enough glaze for some tastes, but that's exactly why I like them. More fluffy carbohydrates, less tooth rotting sucrose.

Eh... who are we fooling? Doughnuts are bad for you no matter how they are made... but so tasty.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:26 AM

326 posts, read 718,636 times
There is a donut shop on Sante Fe Ave in Vista in North County, I think it's right near the Bobier Ave/Sante Fe Ave. intersection, maybe someone from SD can help me out with the name of the shop, I found it by accident when I was on vacation. The jelly donuts are awesome, much better than Dunkin Donuts.
As a matter of fact, I had the jelly donuts from Dunkin a few days ago, and I was very disappointed, they were dry and not much jelly in them at all.

I used to stop at the donut shop on Sante Fe Ave. quite often to pick up jelly donuts and coffee before going to the Oceanside Harbor, and I miss them very much!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:50 PM

455 posts, read 1,117,886 times
Krispy Kreme!!!!! Original Glazed. One of the reasons why obesity is rampant in the US. Death by Doughnut, never tasted any better.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:44 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
Krispy Kreme!!!!! Original Glazed. One of the reasons why obesity is rampant in the US. Death by Doughnut, never tasted any better.
I don't know if you're specifically referring to me for beginning this thread or just making an overall blanket statement--but if it's the former, I don't think we've had something like a doughnut for several years--I don't think one day is going to make us obese and prone to a certain death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego