Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:59 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times

Advertisements

For newly built apartment complexes, I believe individually metered water is now mandatory. Eventually, our water bills are probably going to double or triple again as either the coastal commission or the EPA is going to mandate that we rebuild the Point Loma sewage treatment plant at a cost of several billion dollars. The fish need drinkably pure water to cr@p in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 05:14 PM

176 posts, read 634,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
I have been a renter in CA for 5 of the last 8 years, and I have always had to pay my own water . *BUT* I do have a friend who rents a home that is owned by a very conscientious older couple who want the yard to remain "just so" and they do pay her water. So, you'll have to shop around, but it is possible to find a rental that has the water costs built into your rent.
In the 20 years of living in san diego, we have always rented and I don't think we have ever had to pay for water. That was how it was in Apartments and Houses that we rented.
I think included water is the norm.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:17 PM

50 posts, read 145,895 times
We have to stop wasting valuable drinking water on lawns and ornamental plants.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:33 PM

107 posts, read 338,543 times
Water is expensive here. Especially considering that the City has not replaced any of the old cast iron pipes that have been in the ground for 60+ years. And those pipes are now breaking all over town. Every day the news is covering another water pipe that breaks. And the city is raising rates to pay for the repairs. I was out of town for an entire month. My house was empty(zero water usage) and my bill was still $96. Which was due to a special assesment for repairs.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
It seems like a yearly event. I am basically spending ~2k a year on water.
That's about what my water bills amount to on an annual basis ... and I live in Phoenix where the cost of living is "supposed" to be less expensive. Of course, I have a grass lawn and lots of trees because I need shade and greenery to make life a little more pleasant in a hot desert climate. It doesn't sound like I would really be spending any more money on water if I lived in San Diego.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
That's about what my water bills amount to on an annual basis ... and I live in Phoenix where the cost of living is "supposed" to be less expensive. Of course, I have a grass lawn and lots of trees because I need shade and greenery to make life a little more pleasant in a hot desert climate. It doesn't sound like I would really be spending any more money on water if I lived in San Diego.
I have a ~1k sf 2br house... how big is yours?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:42 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
wait until you guys get mandated watering restrictions and the differential pressure causes major water main breaks on a daily basis like up here in LA. that is of course until we completely run out of potable water having wasted it all on having pefect lawns in a near desert environment.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:36 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
...how big is yours?
hey hey hey

Old 10-04-2009, 12:52 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Anyone get their forms and notice? How do you feel about the proposed increase?
I'm a little upset as we already pay the highest water bills of any major city in the US and it is clear the city is using water prices as a way to increase revenue while still allowing Sanders to say he didn't increase taxes. The truth is you always pay one way or another so I would prefer that rather then constantly raising the price of a life or death thing like water we just adjusted property tax rates to make things as equitable as possible.

It really is an either or situation because the city needs the money and there just isn't a way to cut back much more legally. Obviously the city pension problems (which are entirely our own making) is a huge factor but there is no way out of that short of bankruptcy which would be ruinous for the city. Short of bankruptcy, the US Supreme Court has said it is legal to fire people just before they qualify for their pension as that is a legitimate cost decision so, if I were in charge, I would fire about 1/3 of the people eligible for pensions and replace them with low cost new hires who wouldn't get pensions. I'd let the remaining 2/3rds train the new 1/3 then in about six months to a year I'd fire another 1/3 of those people on the old pension program.... Then in an additional year I'd fire and replace the last 1/3. The end result would be the city would have a new lower cost employee base and we'd be entirely out of the old pension system without having to fund most of those lavish pensions.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:26 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
if I were in charge, I would fire about 1/3 of the people eligible for pensions and replace them with low cost new hires who wouldn't get pensions. I'd let the remaining 2/3rds train the new 1/3 then in about six months to a year I'd fire another 1/3 of those people on the old pension program.... Then in an additional year I'd fire and replace the last 1/3. The end result would be the city would have a new lower cost employee base and we'd be entirely out of the old pension system without having to fund most of those lavish pensions.
That is a bad tactic. You would destroy the morale and lives of all those employees. Also, you are putting an inexperienced employee team to manage the city services in several years. The intangibles will be lost, such as experience and leadership. I can guarantee that the new group will be less motivated, less porductive, and more whiney too, as the new generation progresses out of our education system.

Using an metric system that ranks responsibility with performance (and cutting the bottom % in a crunch) would be somewhat of a better solution. You want to retain those who are valuable and deserve a higher pay and retainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego