U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,841 times
Default Moving from Santee to Downtown SD

Hey everyone im 22 and looking to purchase my first home downtown somewhere near the gaslamp. Im currently living in Santee, but id like to live downtown for the next few years. Ive been looking at condos and lofts, would anyone be able to help me out by telling me what i can expect? From what ive researched i can expect to pay 190k+ for a loft and around 300k for a decent condo. Does this sound accurate? Also, are HOA fees set in stone or can they flucuate..some of the buildings seem to have outragous fees (500+/month). Any info is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 07:20 PM

and also, for units that do not include a parking spot, are their other options to buy a parking spot or would i be forced to park on the street wherever i can find a place?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:35 PM

Oh cool thanks for the help guys.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:46 AM

5 posts, read 5,265 times
I own a home in Santee, and lived in downtown for a few years. Downtown kindof sucks. Dirty, jet pollution, and it's full of lame people. I had a guy get stabbed and bled to death in front of my place in Golden Hills. Also, I had my truck broken into for a quarter; they left the premium jumper cables and several dollars in pennies. Gotta fight for parking, can't go to the parks after dark(without self protection), and lots of cops. The buildings are old, no insulation or decent water and electrical. And they need lots of work.
Get a place with parking, you'll need it. And, HOAs prices do change, they keep going up and giving you less. And, traffic sucks getting out of downtown a lot. If you want a decent value for a home, look somewhere else. The best thing I liked about living their was the chicks during halloween!

Old 12-10-2011, 12:09 PM

7,636 posts, read 4,751,536 times
Expect for a LOT of your neighbors to look like this:

Old 12-10-2011, 05:45 PM

4,072 posts, read 3,418,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Expect for a LOT of your neighbors to look like this:
Or not. Read some of tickyul's other posts, and then consider the source.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:35 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,160,117 times
You can find condos for $200-300K for a one bedroom. HOA fees are not set in stone and can go up. As for not getting a parking spot, I wouldn't buy a place without one. Rent, maybe, but buy? Absolutely not.

If you're looking for white picket fence suburbia, downtown is not for you. But if you're willing to deal with some of the aspects of any major city that aren't as pleasant as you'd like -- the homeless, the traffic, and the noise -- it's well worth it.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:33 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,021,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortnickel View Post
can't go to the parks after dark(without self protection), and lots of cops.
well i supposed than it is good to have lots of cops if its that unsafe.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 AM

14 posts, read 15,378 times
Why moving there? I think downtown isn't the ideal place to live for a long time specially if you have a family. Sure it looks cool but in long run it gets tiring.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:26 PM

34 posts, read 39,932 times
I've been looking in Little Italy and there are some buildings with HOA's in the low $400 per month. The more amenities, the higher the HOA's (plus the number of foreclosures). I think Little Italy area is great neighborhood. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego