Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:54 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
Schools here really lack decent programs, and MN schools are top notch...don't know about CO or GA though.
Don't know about MN and GA but CO schools have a lot of the same problems as CA schools, the difference being that lower COL allows you to live in the better districts without the huge price premium.

Kettlepot, I agree with you in spirit but no one wants to send their precious little child to school full of gang members, hoods and ESL kids. The unfortunate reality is that situation is all over the place in CA, even beyond inner city areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 11:32 AM

10 posts, read 23,241 times
With schools I think there is a diclfference in a state going from better to worse
And a state going from bad to better. That is to say GA and TX are on the rise so for the next number of years you can expect as good or better results. It just isn't clear what will occur in CA. You can't havE the normal people leave and expect th normal thngs to still happen.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:37 AM

10 posts, read 23,241 times
Quote:
Wow your choices to move are so different. MN, CO or GA. Is there anyway you could save up some money and check out each state? Where did you grow up and have family? Have you lived in a 4 season state before? Been through winters? For some people this may mean nothing but for others weather is a deal breaker. I'm from MN so of course I love it there but I guess one if the great things I love is everyone is not moving there unlike here in CA. But again, if you could maybe check out each area. I guess the only reason to stay here is if you really like the year round weather, or are a surfer and need to be near an ocean. Also do you have kids yet? Schools here really lack decent programs, and MN schools are top notch...don't know about CO or GA though.
Yes thanks. I have been to all except MN. I have heard very good things- education seems very good at all levels and the business climate is very good too. I worry though of the impact of a solid six month winter however I understand many indoor heating aminities exist around the town. Perhaps the ideal is a life in MN with condo in SD or FL..

Well, after being directed to this all I can say wow..

"A handful of states will soon be chosen to take part in an intense $5 billion experiment to improve schools that the federal government is calling the "Race to the Top" - but California will be lucky if it gets to participate, U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan said Friday on a swing through San Francisco."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/22/BAR617PKQK.DTL#ixzz0U7gKnXQL (broken link)

Last edited by Movnon; 10-16-2009 at 11:59 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 12:23 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,058 times
Sassberto,

I do agree with you on that Denver may have more to offer than Wichita. Wichita is basically where my wife is from and grew up so she has a family support system. I do not want to stay here in KS though. I think Oklahoma and Texas has more to offer. Wichita is a good town to raise kids though. I have two little ones now. We visited OKC and really liked it and Bricktown is a good entertainment district compared more favorably than to our Old Town entertainment district. I do need to visit Tulsa more. My main problem is lack of jobs with my speciality which is Machining Technology..and soon to be Composite Manufacturing. No jobs here in KS. More jobs in Ok and TX. Heard Salt Lake City and various California towns have more opporunties than here. I do not want to move to CA. SLC may be an option for me but right now, I'm doing ok here and need to finish my schooling before I decide on anything. My wife has a BA in Graphic Arts and a MA in Fine Arts and is working for the city of Wichita in a good paying job that is related to her degrees so may be hard to find her a job that pays the same and so forth.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
My main problem is lack of jobs with my speciality which is Machining Technology..and soon to be Composite Manufacturing. No jobs here in KS.
My impression of Wichita was that it's economy was highly dependent on aerospace and particularly aircraft manufacturing, and many of those jobs are gone and never coming back, it didn't seem like a good place for someone with a college degree to me. I have heard that KC, OKC, Omaha are better.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:31 PM

664 posts, read 1,945,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movnon View Post
Yes thanks. I have been to all except MN. I have heard very good things- education seems very good at all levels and the business climate is very good too. I worry though of the impact of a solid six month winter however I understand many indoor heating aminities exist around the town. Perhaps the ideal is a life in MN with condo in SD or FL..

Well, after being directed to this all I can say wow..

"A handful of states will soon be chosen to take part in an intense $5 billion experiment to improve schools that the federal government is calling the "Race to the Top" - but California will be lucky if it gets to participate, U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan said Friday on a swing through San Francisco."

U.S. schools chief: State longshot for stimulus (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/22/BAR617PKQK.DTL#ixzz0U7gKnXQL - broken link)
Yea, the winter in MN is no joke. It is brutal. I always think though, that if MN had the same climate as CA the state would have all the problems that CA does with overpopulation, etc... The cold winters def keep people away, but like you said jobs are pretty good in the twin cities. I know everywhere has been hit by the economy but MN has a lot of big business, world headquarters there like Target, Best Buy, General Mills, 3M etc. So even though jobs are harder to land MN does have them though.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
MN has a lot of big business, world headquarters there like Target, Best Buy, General Mills, 3M etc. So even though jobs are harder to land MN does have them though.
MN has more jobs in nearly every category vs. San Diego :
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI: Nonfarm employment and labor force data
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA: Nonfarm employment and labor force data

Not that San Diego is really terrible,but I think many think San Diego to be economically stronger and would be surprised to see that MN has a stronger economy... take a look at some of those figures... in some cases tens of thousands more jobs in MN.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:09 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,058 times
Actually people here prefer hiring degreed people more than anywhere I've been to. They look for people who've had stable long-term jobs with degrees over people who have had multiple jobs (read---job contracts, etc) and no degrees. I was struggling in Austin, TX...it has one of the highest numbers of degreed people due to UT and many colleges/universities in the area therefore the employers are able to cherry pick the best candidates and leave the rest to rot so pay is low and since the majority of the Texas state jobs are in Austin..and low paying usually..people end up having to get on food stamps if they take those low paying jobs simply because they don't have a degree. Having a degree just gives you a leg up on the competition but no guarantees in Austin but you have more of a guarantee in Wichita. I am trying to get a job that is NOT aerospace related so I do not go through the ups and downs of aerospace. With that being said, the city is trying to develop composite manufacturing of medical parts to make the economy more diverse here which is a good thing.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:41 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk9 View Post
Was it Pink Squid (?) who said what happens in Mexico, etc.... wow. where have you been
No. That was certainly not me who made that statement.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:11 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk9 View Post
San Diego IS the new Tijuana and Mexico City....major drug import city, a little thing called "THE BORDER WAR" spilling into San Ysidro and moving further up (Chula Vista and others), Mexico's gangs HAVE BEEN HERE...now their just getting bold enough to no longer care with our P.D.
Their murders hitting San Diego, decapitations, etc. Ummm...just thought I'd give the hi-lites (or low lights).
I'm curious what decapitations have occurred in San Diego due to drug cartels?

I know we are not immune to the the stuff that goes on in Mexico spilling onto the US side but I think you are seriously exaggerating on the extent of it. It really is not that much a problem on this side, at least to the point where the vast majority people should actually be concerned with it.
Quote:
Georgia is a great place of all the importants in life.
Seems like Atlanta has more of a problem with drug cartels than San Diego does.

Mexican cartels plague Atlanta - USATODAY.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego