Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 04:03 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,341 times

Advertisements

"""""All three also have a higher crime rate than SD, especially Minneapolis and Atlanta. Not that it should be a reason not to move there, but just sayin."""""

Yea but most people who work in Mnpls do not live there. They tend to live in the outer suburbs anyhere from 15-40 mins out, and most of those suburbs have pretty low crime rates compared to other areas. The populations of outer ring suburbs in Minneapolis can be like 2-5k, some more or less. While in Socal a suburb 35 min away still has 175k poeple. Something to consider if your looking at raising a family in the future. But again if weather is an issue for you (cold weather that is) do not pick MN. While the quality of life in MN is much more than Socal, the winters are very harsh.

Last edited by 10,000Lakes; 10-16-2009 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 05:11 PM

239 posts, read 723,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I do think there is some validity there. There is no doubt that the border violence has escalated and this is a big concern. Many people do have a negative perception of the border region, and the associated crime. I don't think it is as big deterrent to people relocating here, but you do see a lot of sort of bizarrely violent activity that seems to be connected to the border drug trade.... even if it doesn't happen often, it is scary in it's nature which makes it seem perhaps larger than it is.

Drug Cartel Members Kidnapping People in San Diego County - San Diego 6 (http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Drug-Cartel-Members-Kidnapping-People-in-San/VBWJH-_0I0y5U6o4zt8VTg.cspx?rss=800 - broken link)

"Sheriff statistics claim 187 kidnappings tied to the drug cartel happened in the past year. The numbers a couple a years ago were below 75."
"We are told the kidnappings are mainly happening in the Southbay in cities like Chula Vista or Eastlake."

Still, I think most people actually living in San Diego tend to be less concerned about those issues than outsiders. I also think people not living in South Bay communities tend to be a bit more insulated from this.
Do you think the higher incidence of kidnappings in Chula Vista and Eastlake is due solely to geographical proximity or to the fact that perhaps more people with personal links with Mexico have settled in those areas (due to geographical proximity)?

Old 10-16-2009, 05:46 PM

114 posts, read 308,854 times
Well,

-The economy sucks everywhere and it will recover.
-San Diego is growing.
-San Diego is one of the safest cities in the United States and gets safer.
-Gentrification will lead to more wealthy citizens thus less crime and problems.
-The proposed High speed train will stop here. it is going to be the only real high speed train, Acela doesn't count.
-San Diego has many regions. You don't have to leave the metropolitan area.
-Other places that are able to offer more than San Diego usually are more expensive.

You can live in a better area in the United States. But the better the area they more you pay. California is by far the most advanced state if you care about pollution, Internet, high speed rails, and many other futuristic things. I am studying biotechnology and its is almost everywhere, but if I could, I would stay in Southern California because I hate winters

Last edited by NewCalifornian; 10-16-2009 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: shorter

Old 10-16-2009, 09:28 PM

231 posts, read 640,052 times
CA along with the city of San Diego really need to attract corporations which at the moment isn't happening due to a lot of poor decisions made in the past few decades. I like to believe San Diego has potential to grow well if it can increase its white collar industry, time will tell. It has the scenery/weather/diversity to attract people, just needs the well paying industries.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:47 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soymabelen View Post
Do you think the higher incidence of kidnappings in Chula Vista and Eastlake is due solely to geographical proximity or to the fact that perhaps more people with personal links with Mexico have settled in those areas (due to geographical proximity)?
Both.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:54 AM

95 posts, read 388,647 times
Its all about the weather,I dont like to sweat and could not be comfortable anywhere else.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk9 View Post

Because of Prop. 13 (great for those of us who bought at the time) SOME
of us have really low property taxes! But hang on kids.....cause of prop. 13 everything else is and will continue to be expondentially high.
Prop 13 is one reason for anyone to stay in California... Property owners in States without a Prop 13 Tax Structure can and do experience double digit, back to back Property Tax increases...

Every Property Owner in CA benefits because Prop 13 makes Property Tax predictable and removes favoritism in the Tax Assessor Offices...

At the time Prop 13 was passed... several county assessors were sent to prison and one committed suicide because of Sweetheart Deals...

Just something to think about...

Old 10-19-2009, 12:49 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhawk9 View Post
I am a native, bred, born, raised. I'm in my late 40's and I can't wait to get out of San Diego. My background is in Computer Science. Was it Pink Squid (?) who said what happens in Mexico, etc.... wow. where have you been? San Diego IS the new Tijuana and Mexico City....major drug import city, a little thing called "THE BORDER WAR" spilling into San Ysidro and moving further up (Chula Vista and others), Mexico's gangs HAVE BEEN HERE...now their just getting bold enough to no longer care with our P.D.
Their murders hitting San Diego, decapitations, etc. Ummm...just thought I'd give the hi-lites (or low lights).
Because of Prop. 13 (great for those of us who bought at the time) SOME
of us have really low property taxes! But hang on kids.....cause of prop. 13 everything else is and will continue to be expondentially high. I.E. gas at 3.49 where in New York it's 2.14. Or the joys of S.D.G.E (anyone remember the SEMPRA scam with the power plant in Chula Vista?) How about our 8.25 sales tax on all but Prescription meds and raw, unprepared food. How about that our wonderful city council has no money for the basics...say fixing potholes but has the money for their demand of a NEW CITY BUILDING!!!! Groceries...wow. that's another beastie of a problem.
and one other little, tiny problem. WE ARE IN A SEVERE STAGE 2 DROUGHT!!! FOLKS...THERE'S ONLY 3 STAGES TO A DROUGH!!! i have cut my water use by 82 % from last september and my water bill is the SAME. it's being justified by "impending sewer improvements".
Lets see....jobs. Well...is anyone else here aware that one of san diego's oldest, most respected, and reliable employers, S.A.I.C. is folding up shop (San Diego is/was their h.q.) and re-locating to Washington, D.C.?

That's extremely significant on all fronts. If your not aware S.A.I.C. is an employee owned company which stands for Science Applications International Corporation.

The signs have been here for years....you love the weather more THAN ANYTHING ELSE...then stay.

If you have any other priorities above weather....LEAVE!!! WHILE YOU CAN!!! WE ARE!!!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 PM
PCK

12 posts, read 42,427 times
I would seriously reconsider the Minnesota aspect....I live in southern Wisconsin where the weather is almost exactly like Minneapolis and the winters are UNREAL. Its not uncommon to get temperatures -20 with windchill in the winters. You can't really imagine it unless you've lived through one. And the winters last about 5 months. Spring doesn't really start until about mid-April. In March we've had some huge snowfalls.
I've been out to San Diego twice in the last year and I LOVE it out there! I just can't put up with the winters here anymore. I work in healthcare and my husband works from home so the job aspect isn't a huge deal for us. And we don't have any kids.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:16 AM

664 posts, read 1,946,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK View Post
I would seriously reconsider the Minnesota aspect....I live in southern Wisconsin where the weather is almost exactly like Minneapolis and the winters are UNREAL. Its not uncommon to get temperatures -20 with windchill in the winters. You can't really imagine it unless you've lived through one. And the winters last about 5 months. Spring doesn't really start until about mid-April. In March we've had some huge snowfalls.
I've been out to San Diego twice in the last year and I LOVE it out there! I just can't put up with the winters here anymore. I work in healthcare and my husband works from home so the job aspect isn't a huge deal for us. And we don't have any kids.
Your story is not uncommon, esp around Feb and this forum (as well as AZ) lights up with posts similar to this. With no kids it will be so much easier for you guys. No schools to worry about and all that. Winters are freakin brutal I hear ya! But for a better quality of life we are willing to put up with them. We can't replace family with perfect weather.
Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego