Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,826,910 times

Advertisements

I was simply rolling my eyes at the statement that Encinitas "has a gang problem" and that Solana Beach "is a lot safer." 1) Encinitas has some loosely organized groups in a few pockets of town that may or may not qualify as gangs, this is true. But a "gang problem?" Hardly. 2) Solana Beach probably has just as much of a gang problem and as many car break ins and property crimes as Encinitas does, which isn't much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 10:22 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,349,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
I was simply rolling my eyes at the statement that Encinitas "has a gang problem" and that Solana Beach "is a lot safer." 1) Encinitas has some loosely organized groups in a few pockets of town that may or may not qualify as gangs, this is true. But a "gang problem?" Hardly. 2) Solana Beach probably has just as much of a gang problem and as many car break ins and property crimes as Encinitas does, which isn't much.
Don't get too hung up on a one liner from a poster with one post under their belt when there are far more detailed and informed posts on this thread to refute it. In other words - don't feed the troll.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:32 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,826,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Don't get too hung up on a one liner from a poster with one post under their belt when there are far more detailed and informed posts on this thread to refute it. In other words - don't feed the troll.
Fair enough

Old 06-09-2010, 09:47 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,390,455 times
Carmel Valley = New money
La Jolla and Del Mar proper = Old Money

La Jolla and Del Mar are MUCH more laid back as the people there do not try as hard to prove their wealth because it is all they have ever known.

Carmel Valley can get to some people if you are not prepared to deal with the attitudes and obvious class mentality.

It's a beautiful new and clean area though.....all of the above have great schools for obvious reasons of affluence.

The East side of Encinitas is very nice and family oriented, yet still very close to the beach.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by col-dt View Post

what do you think and what schools would you send your kids if you were me?
Poway Unified, about 7 miles inland (92064, 92127, 92128, 92129)

Much lower cost of living, very little crime, excellent family based activities, along with some of the best schools across the board.

When you need to go to the beach, you are there in 15-20 mins tops.

Because of their very 'public' nature and their age, coastal communities are always a mixed bag as far as crime/schools consistency. You have to be prepared to deal with this aspect if you want to live on the coast.

In addition, the 5 through those areas is a much more challenging commute than many want to tolerate.

As with anything in life, there are tradeoffs and you have to weigh those based on your own priorities.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:08 PM

8 posts, read 61,071 times
From my research, La Jolla, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Poway, and Rancho Santa Fe are the best public school districts in the area. I am partial to La Jolla b/c of the proximity to the water, shopping, and downtown SD.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 PM

Not sure what you are using for research, but Poway Unified has many excellent schools as well (across the entire district). API scores, sports, number of kids admitted to Ivy League schools, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, if you follow the affluent areas, those areas will almost always have the better schools. All the areas being discussed are affluent. Rancho Santa Fe is really not an area that even a few can afford, so I'm not sure it is even worth mentioning as an option.

If you can afford La Jolla, then that's a good choice.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:21 PM

788 posts, read 1,869,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli2374 View Post
From my research, La Jolla, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Poway, and Rancho Santa Fe are the best public school districts in the area. I am partial to La Jolla b/c of the proximity to the water, shopping, and downtown SD.
just because they are the wealthiest districts doesnt mean they are the best.

Del Mar/Carmel Valley, Solana Beach, RSF, and Poway are clearly the highest performing, while encinitas and La Jolla are mixed.

I would go with Poway though. People are more down to earth..
Socketz actually put it very well... Encinitas (more so La Costa) people are new money and feel obligated to showcase their "wealth". Its funny, they all drive mercedes and BMWs when they hardly even own their house. I transferred away from a La Costa school to another school in Carlsbad and I was shocked how less snobby the students were.
carmel valley, in my opinion, is the most boring place in the county.

Plus La Costa Canyon and San Dieguito, 2 of the wealthiest high schools in the county are highly underperforming considering how affluent and educated the area families are. If you are moving into San Dieguito Union and its feeder districts, just stay as far south as you can.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,968,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
Encinitas (more so La Costa) people are new money and feel obligated to showcase their "wealth". Its funny, they all drive mercedes and BMWs when they hardly even own their house. I transferred away from a La Costa school to another school in Carlsbad and I was shocked how less snobby the students were.
carmel valley, in my opinion, is the most boring place in the county.

Plus La Costa Canyon and San Dieguito, 2 of the wealthiest high schools in the county are highly underperforming considering how affluent and educated the area families are. If you are moving into San Dieguito Union and its feeder districts, just stay as far south as you can.
I have to completely disagree with you considering I grew up in La Costa. I would hardly call it New Money nor say people hardly own their houses. Pretty ridiculous statements actually. The term you're talking about "people driving benzes and BMWs and not owning their house" is a derogatory term that I won't mention here, but that's hardly La Costa. You want to see people who drive nice cars but can't afford to put gas in the tank nor make their mortgage payment go to Mira Mesa, National City, and basically anywhere in South San Diego, etc. That's where all the foreclosures and short sales are going on, not La Costa.

There are very small sections of La Costa that have been built in the last 10 years, but for the most part, all of La Costa has been around since before I moved there in 85. So to call it New Money is ridiculous.

I went to San Dieguito and my sisters went to LCC. To make a claim that they are underperforming? Based on what? Everyone who's live in San Diego longer than a few years know that San Dieguito, Torrey Pines, LCC are arguably the three best schools in San Diego County.

I find people from La Costa less "obligated" to show their wealth than people from Del Mar and Carmel Valley for sure.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:25 AM

788 posts, read 1,869,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I have to completely disagree with you considering I grew up in La Costa. I would hardly call it New Money nor say people hardly own their houses. Pretty ridiculous statements actually. The term you're talking about "people driving benzes and BMWs and not owning their house" is a derogatory term that I won't mention here, but that's hardly La Costa. You want to see people who drive nice cars but can't afford to put gas in the tank nor make their mortgage payment go to Mira Mesa, National City, and basically anywhere in South San Diego, etc. That's where all the foreclosures and short sales are going on, not La Costa.

There are very small sections of La Costa that have been built in the last 10 years, but for the most part, all of La Costa has been around since before I moved there in 85. So to call it New Money is ridiculous.

I went to San Dieguito and my sisters went to LCC. To make a claim that they are underperforming? Based on what? Everyone who's live in San Diego longer than a few years know that San Dieguito, Torrey Pines, LCC are arguably the three best schools in San Diego County.

I find people from La Costa less "obligated" to show their wealth than people from Del Mar and Carmel Valley for sure.
Well since both of us seem to think each others claims are ridiculous let me at least prove this to you. La Costa Canyon and SDA are the two most underperforming affluent schools in San Diego County based on most recent test scores. There is no doubt TP & CC are great schools- like i said stay in the southern part of San Dieguito.

For La Costa Canyon High School: compared to similar schools (based on demographics, education, and wealth) it received a 2009 score of 2. That is 2 out of 10, meaning LCC is in the lowest 20% of similar schools. LCC is supposed to have an API around 865, however the current API is nearly 50 POINTS lower than it should be. In 2008, LCC had the LOWEST API score out of the 100 similar schools it was compared to across the state.

Same with San Dieguito. SDA received a similar schools ranking of 1/10, the worst possible score- meaning SDA is in the bottom 10% of similar schools.

Now compare it to a nearby school. Mission Hills in San Marcos has an API of 814. (LCC= 819, SDA=815)
Mission Hills is 40% socioeconomically disadvantaged and 25% english learners
San Dieguito is 10% socioeconomically disadvantaged and 9% of the school is english learners.
La Costa Canyon is 10% socioeconomically disadvantaged and 9% of the school is english learners

It is pathetic how a school like Mission Hills, which has one fourth of students struggling to speak english can perform at a the same level as the much more affluent (and english proficient) LCC and SDA
So clearly something is not right at these schools. They dont face as many barriers to education as less fortunate schools, but are still unable to perform at higher levels.

I realize it may be hard to look from the outside in considering you currently live in La Costa. But this is the statistical truth..

also, you probably chose the worst examples in mira mesa and national city? are you kidding? i can understand why you would defend the integrity of La Costa, but these statements are just plain stupid. Not even stupid, moronic. you are much more likely to find decked out cars than actual nice ones- but that is merely part of the asian/filipino- american culture, nothing to do with the fact that the residents are snobby.

And just because the houses arent new doesnt mean that the people cant be classified as "new money". For one thing, your statement assumes that the wealthy residents of La Costa have been living there since 1985, which is not true at all. Additionally, the term new money refers to people that gained wealth in their lifetime as opposed to inheritance/being born into it.
Did you not read the Great Gatsby at LCC?

just based purely on test scores- La Jolla, Coronado, Valhalla, Torrey Pines, Canyon Crest, Scripps Ranch, Preuss, Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Poway, and Westview are all better performing than LCC or SDA
i wouldnt argue against the fact that SDA and LCC are among the three most affluent schools, but to say they have the best academics is nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego