Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 02:50 PM

11 posts, read 51,751 times

Advertisements

Bay Park was recommended to me as a good place for families. Can anyone tell more...Does it have a particular flavor? A walkable area? Old homes? It seems like a good location on the map - easy to get to beaches in the North and to commute to the city.

TIA for feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 03:00 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco_w View Post
Bay Park was recommended to me as a good place for families. Can anyone tell more...Does it have a particular flavor? A walkable area? Old homes? It seems like a good location on the map - easy to get to beaches in the North and to commute to the city.

TIA for feedback.
It's a nice area. Right on the hill overlooking the bay. Some large upscale homes and some older funky ones too.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:37 PM

11 posts, read 51,751 times
thanks. are there any store/services in the area or is it exclusively residential?

Old 01-08-2014, 04:17 PM

12 posts, read 92,553 times
Do you have any children? The schools there are terrible.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:49 PM

192 posts, read 251,501 times
I live in Bay Park and really like it. I cannot comment on the schools since I don't have children yet. But, the AVERAGE rating is 5/10. There are some charter schools and academies that rate 9/10 in that area. So, it's not like there are NO good schools.

Like Sass said, it can be diverse in terms of housing. I would say the majority of homes were built from 1950-1980, single story ranch style. Many with views of the bay. It is very walkable to Kiel's food, Rite-Aid, taco shop, pizza, McDs, and coffee shop (not SB). I actually find that I have everything I need right there - dry cleaner, grocery, food, pharmacy, vet...and in a super central location! I see a lot of people taking transit from this area. It is SO central. Can't beat that! If you are ok with a little mix in the housing (i.e. not all yards are kept up, so you may have a nice home and be next to a home that is a little more neglected). I find this is quid pro quo in San Diego. I come from NorCal and while I am sure you can find "mixed" neighborhoods everywhere, I have never lived in one quite like San Diego. It is much more urban than where I come from!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:10 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quazmar View Post
Do you have any children? The schools there are terrible.
Which school are you talking about.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:34 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandasand View Post
I live in Bay Park and really like it. I cannot comment on the schools since I don't have children yet. But, the AVERAGE rating is 5/10. There are some charter schools and academies that rate 9/10 in that area. So, it's not like there are NO good schools.

Like Sass said, it can be diverse in terms of housing. I would say the majority of homes were built from 1950-1980, single story ranch style. Many with views of the bay. It is very walkable to Kiel's food, Rite-Aid, taco shop, pizza, McDs, and coffee shop (not SB). I actually find that I have everything I need right there - dry cleaner, grocery, food, pharmacy, vet...and in a super central location! I see a lot of people taking transit from this area. It is SO central. Can't beat that! If you are ok with a little mix in the housing (i.e. not all yards are kept up, so you may have a nice home and be next to a home that is a little more neglected). I find this is quid pro quo in San Diego. I come from NorCal and while I am sure you can find "mixed" neighborhoods everywhere, I have never lived in one quite like San Diego. It is much more urban than where I come from!
The charter schools in SD that are reputable/highly ranked, at this point have waiting lists and it's lottery admission. So you don't want to bank on that as your main option. Just a consideration.
Also, near Tecolote Canyon area of Bay Park has nice family homes. It's not walkable to amazing or quaint shops or restaurants, though. It's not that kind of area. And this is so cal where those types of neighborhoods are harder to come by.

Bay Park does have a magnet school that is dual language Spanish/English immersion, Longfellow k-8. It's a SDUSD school and anyone in the district can apply. I know people whose children attended and had a good experience. Not sure if it's on a waiting list or is easy to get a spot, at this time. On the other side of Tecolote in Clairemont, the 'mountain streets' ie, streets are named Mt. such and such...., is a good area for families. Schools are hit or miss. It's homes built in the 60's and 70's mainly. Not a lot of character, but many are on the canyon and some have been remodeled/updated.

In my experience, the best family areas of SD with older homes and walkable to shops, cafes, etc. would be Mission Hills, part of North Park [towards Balboa Park golf course], part of University Heights [south, I think, of Park Blvd.] and part of Normal Heights [north of Adams Ave] and Kensington village.

Also, north Pacific Beach bordering on La Jolla could fit this criteria, too.
The homes are not as old as the other areas mentioned, but not sterile suburbia, either. Oh, and Encinitas within walking distance to the 101/downtown area is good for families in that regard and in general. Similar to north PB, in that homes are not always as old, though some beachy bungalows, etc.

My two cents.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:37 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Zombie thread from 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego