Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:19 AM

35 posts, read 85,524 times

Advertisements

As someone considering moving to CA and in particular SD I found this article refreshing after a lot of the negative stuff I have read previously.

Does the author know what he's talking about?

California: Golden State Is Thriving, Despite Its Woes - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 09:15 AM

34 posts, read 110,426 times
Can you really trust the media? Especially Time Magazine which has placed Obama on the cover like five times in two years. I love how the article says that California gave us blue jeans and Craiglist. Haha not so fast, blue jeans were invented years ago, and of course with 32 million people today, there will still be inventions and business hubs like silicon valley. The problem is not about that; It's about California's long-term economic health compared to rival states like Texas or Colorado.

I try to ignore the media bias.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:53 AM

455 posts, read 1,117,886 times
Whats so bad about Obama? He is the president of the US, first non-whitey, and trying to fix up the hole/war that the last admin started. The economy did not all of the suddenly dive due to Obama's admin practice, but started by Bush's admin just spending away and letting the next ******...president deal with it.

Their small government and big company focus allowed banks to be unregulated and practice be free of rules to protect the citizen of the US.

If you ignore the media bias, then put down the Wall Street, NYT,etc and don't listen to the news. Go ahead and crawl into a box.

If you were smart enough, you would listen to both sides of the story and develop your own opinions based out whatever biased articles are out there. Read between the lines man!

I am moving from the RTP in NC to SD because I see great opportunity there (CA). There are too many natural resources and ability to develop that I want in now. Buy in low and sell high... I just feel that the state was missmanaged, especially the city of SD by poor decisions of city council members. Too much undertable stuff and not enough clear transactions to understand where all the dollars are going and what return/services are expected/recieved.

Unfortunately, SD is still overpriced (Real estate) compared to what the people can pay for, as of this day. The current Obama business practice is to save the country from losing their homes, but CA is a different story. CA is still inflated and all the US money going into CA is just delaying what needs to happen their, a market price adjustment. Most of the country is benefiting from the stimulus, though.

I do believe that there is some messed up financial focus in CA. The need to imitate Hollywood has many focusing on image, such as driving around in BMWs and Mercedes that cost as much as their annual salary. Heck, even the maid service drove up in a BMW.

Even my cousin, a MBA student in USC pays >$2.5k/mo for 750sqft condo rental in LA and parks his 330i beside a Porsche C4 and Ferrari 355 driven by people his age.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:35 PM

457 posts, read 1,344,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalist09 View Post
Can you really trust the media? Especially Time Magazine which has placed Obama on the cover like five times in two years. I love how the article says that California gave us blue jeans and Craiglist. Haha not so fast, blue jeans were invented years ago, and of course with 32 million people today, there will still be inventions and business hubs like silicon valley. The problem is not about that; It's about California's long-term economic health compared to rival states like Texas or Colorado.

I try to ignore the media bias.
Obama was on the cover of this very magazine. therefore this article has to be bogus. haha

Old 11-02-2009, 08:59 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
PharmboyinNC, you may wish to research the voting trends and representation of San Diego, especially the suburbs, before moving here. SD Is definitely conservative outside of pockets in SD proper such as Hillcrest

Jay LaSuer
Darrell Issa
Duncan Hunter
Brian Bilbray

....and many other Republicans.

Even the Mayor of SD, Jerry Sanders, is -R-

Unlike DC Metro and the rest of the East Coast, wearing your politics on your sleeve is not the normal culture in SoCal. You may wish to move into a 'hood where you feel more comfortable.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:58 PM

48 posts, read 125,939 times
SD and OC are two of the most conservative counties in California.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:15 PM

457 posts, read 1,344,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2lv View Post
SD and OC are two of the most conservative counties in California.
OC yes, but there are other inland counties far more conservative than San Diego.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:55 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
SD county went blue this time around! Of course it was most of the younger voters under 35 that went for him locally. All the old folks went for McSame.

Honestly could you imagine if another Repub was in office right now? This country would be in absolute worst shape because the right wing party is the party of "NO's" and do "Nothing". Worst of all, Mcsame probably wouldn't have done a damn thing to help this country, his theory "Let the free market take care of itself" Right..... basically just wait to nation self destructs, then finally step in to save whatever is worth saving. At least Obama has tackled the issues right away, agree with him or not, at least he is trying hard to correct the problems that the previous administration left behind. No president has had to deal with so much at one time like Obama has, people are really hatin on him at this moment, I can understand why, people want everything to be fixed now. He is only one man, he does not have a magic wand to do whatever he wants. I can't imagine how much worse our nation would be in if it wasn't for the stimulus packages. Or if GM went under. We now know sometimes we do need government for a lot of things.

We still have tons of greed and corruption going around, that is the next thing to fix.

California is still an expensive place to live, hardly anyone can afford a home here, unless you are making at least $100K a year, and not too many of those jobs are around in SD. It's truly mind boggling how many low-mid wage sector jobs are in SD, it doesn't look like people struggle locally but they are. I don't buy the whole supply and demand crap, it's all speculation and location, period....oh plus the weather

Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
All I know is I love living in San Diego and have no idea what people are griping about.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:43 AM

455 posts, read 1,117,886 times
I don't understand why it matters whether SD is majority Republican, in relation to this topic?? I didn't mean for it to.

I don't have to research why or how many Republication are on the city council. I was referring to the statement that all things Obama are bad. It is just as ignorant to say that all things Bush did/didn't do is bad as well.

Granted, I shouldn't discuss politics, religion, and womens age/weight everywhere I go. I try not to.

If SD is conservative as SF is liberal, it doesn't matter. I'm still moving to SoCal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
PharmboyinNC, you may wish to research the voting trends and representation of San Diego, especially the suburbs, before moving here. SD Is definitely conservative outside of pockets in SD proper such as Hillcrest

Jay LaSuer
Darrell Issa
Duncan Hunter
Brian Bilbray

....and many other Republicans.

Even the Mayor of SD, Jerry Sanders, is -R-

Unlike DC Metro and the rest of the East Coast, wearing your politics on your sleeve is not the normal culture in SoCal. You may wish to move into a 'hood where you feel more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego