Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 04:09 PM

371 posts, read 637,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
[/b]

Earplugs.....Hearos are quite comfortable and do a great job blocking noise. Takes a little getting used to, not bad at all.
Or get a pair of industrial hearing protectors (the things people with leaf blowers wear, or what you wear at target shooting ranges--NOT noise-canceling headphones). A good pair costs about $20-$25 on Amazon and lasts a lot longer than plain earplugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 04:12 PM

And to the OP, as you can see, you're not the only one. In my experience, apartments built in the early 1960s are the worst -- no insulation whatsoever. As much as I complain about Huffman-style apartments, the one Huffman I lived in was way better than the place before, built 1962, or the place I'm in now, built '62 or '64 (can't remember). A friend who had grown up outside the U.S. summed it up perfectly when she called the housing stock in San Diego "shoddy."

Old 10-15-2011, 05:15 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
Or get a pair of industrial hearing protectors (the things people with leaf blowers wear, or what you wear at target shooting ranges--NOT noise-canceling headphones). A good pair costs about $20-$25 on Amazon and lasts a lot longer than plain earplugs.
I honestly can't imagine anyone actually sleeping with those on.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
you may want to look at condos that are for rent. While it is true as others have mentioned that new construction can be terrible, sometimes sounds proofing is not something developers do on the cheap if they want to sell condos. While some quality related corners were cut on the condo we rented, the sound proofing is incredible. We had a DJ'd party right outside out window and with the windows shut you could not hear a thing. I have never heard so much as a foot steps above us, or a door slammming in the hallway----or voices for that matter. Unfortunetely the building is downtown so it won't work for you, but def. check out privetely owned condos for rent over apartments.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
If you're a back-sleeper you can do it (as long as you don't need an alarm to wake up on time). Side sleepers would have trouble, but I've been able to do it. Regular earplugs either fall out, or I end up coughing terribly during the night. Something about the pressure created by blocking off the ear canal, I guess.

Of course if you need an alarm to wake up, then there's a problem....

Old 10-15-2011, 08:08 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
And to the OP, as you can see, you're not the only one. In my experience, apartments built in the early 1960s are the worst -- no insulation whatsoever. As much as I complain about Huffman-style apartments, the one Huffman I lived in was way better than the place before, built 1962, or the place I'm in now, built '62 or '64 (can't remember). A friend who had grown up outside the U.S. summed it up perfectly when she called the housing stock in San Diego "shoddy."
Early 60s, that would be a prime early Huffman time period, and was probably when Huffman's were at their shoddiest. Over time, probably unintentionally because of earthquake codes, the construction of Huffman's improved, marginally.

The Huffman blight was a multi-decadal problem: Late 50s to early 80s.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Early 60s, that would be a prime early Huffman time period, and was probably when Huffman's were at their shoddiest. Over time, probably unintentionally because of earthquake codes, the construction of Huffman's improved, marginally.

The Huffman blight was a multi-decadal problem: Late 50s to early 80s.
The Huffman I was in was early 1970s (possibly '74 but don't remember). It was way more solid than what I'm in now or was in before, although it still wasn't the best.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:13 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:

Haha, you read my mind. I have a pair of those too, got a GREAT pair at the evil, horrific Walmart for under ten buck......blocks out a ton of noise.

The problem with the muffs is it's really hard to sleep in them, that is where the earplugs come in handy.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:16 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post

No, you are right, that is where the soft, comfortable earplugs come in handy.

But the earmuffs work really good if you are just sitting around and the idiots are making a ton of noise......and it is driving you nuts. I have both and use them at different times. Athough since moving out of the city....well, need them much less.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:17 AM

45 posts, read 126,391 times
Archstone Presidio view in Fashion Valley seemingly had nice sound insulation for the time I lived there (or my neighbors were insanely quiet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego