Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:30 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,746,387 times

Advertisements

I too wonder why some San Diegans would be so intolarent about many Hispanics living in San Diego, when Mexico being our neighbor in all.

I honestly feel very uncomfortable where I live, because I'm like the only young Mexican guy around, and when I go shopping in some stores, I'm always being targeted by security or loss prevention guys, (believe me, they don't do a very good job disguising themselves )Or when I'm walking behind a white woman, many of them walk faster or hold on to there purse tighter because they think I'm going to jack em or something. Not including the dirty stares I receive, like that "What are you doing here in my neighborhood, beaner" type of stare. These kinds of things I notice almost everyday, I don't even look like the type that would alarm anybody, but I guess since they're hardly Hispanics, or Black people where I live, some people get freaked out and paranoid when they see a minority in my neighborhood.

The majority of the new home construction is catering to the upper middle class in SD, leaving out the poor and pricing out some middle class families. I understand that land values are high in all, but developers are not doing enough to support to affordable housing. They are the ones that are actually responsible for increasing home values, and making San Diego so expensive by building half a million dollar homes.

This needs to stop, or else we will have no balance, and the the class warfare will only get worse. Middle class families that used to be able to afford SD, will eventually get priced out, once the housing market turns around, and they will all finally move away, while the Hispanic population will keep on exploding, which will increase the number of people per household. Who knows if Hispanics will stay in SD, if they do it's because of the proximity to the border, and the overall cultural that makes many Mexicans comfortable living in South SD South Bay area. If they leave, it's because they definitely can't make ends meet here, and will move to other western states. Personally I see the future of SD becoming more of a wealthy retirement community, because they will be the only ones that can afford San Diego. We will also have a huge influx of wealthier families moving in, and other rich investors from around the world buying up property all across SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 AM

4,525 posts, read 12,343,461 times
At a certain price point, there are probably a good 100k - 150k group of people living in Temecula and Tijuana (American expatriates) who are wanting to move back into San Diego county and the metro area if prices ever get low enough, or barely low enough for them. So, prices aren't just supported by the people who are actually moving here, they are supported by the 100k+ who are wanting to move here and are waiting in the wings. That's why there's a floor under San Diego housing prices that is belied by our low population growth.

The above statistic was related to me by a R/E agent acquaintance, not by R/E agent who was trying to persuade me to buy something. I already have my house. I bought at a similar time to now, when the blood was running in the streets. And so are thousands of other bottom fishers. That's why home sales activity is soaring. The foreclosures and accumulated inventory is being moved quickly off the market. Overall, the bottom is here - give or take a few months and a few neighborhoods.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:40 AM

18,967 posts, read 32,448,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I too wonder why some San Diegans would be so intolarent about many Hispanics living in San Diego, when Mexico being our neighbor in all.

I honestly feel very uncomfortable where I live, because I'm like the only young Mexican guy around, and when I go shopping in some stores, I'm always being targeted by security or loss prevention guys, (believe me, they don't do a very good job disguising themselves )Or when I'm walking behind a white woman, many of them walk faster or hold on to there purse tighter because they think I'm going to jack em or something. Not including the dirty stares I receive, like that "What are you doing here in my neighborhood, beaner" type of stare. These kinds of things I notice almost everyday, I don't even look like the type that would alarm anybody, but I guess since they're hardly Hispanics, or Black people where I live, some people get freaked out and paranoid when they see a minority in my neighborhood.
Sometimes I wonder why you have so many problems with other people. I am Hispanic and have never encountered the crap you describe and I live in an area that is probably at least 75-80% white. I work in North County and 95% of my time is spend above the 8 and within 5 miles of the coast, where it's majority white. The only problem I have with people with regard to my race/ethnicity is when another Hispanic person speaks Spanish to me then gives me some dirty look when they realize I don't speak Spanish, doesn't happen everytime but enough to where I notice it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego