Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:41 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraftedtoo View Post
I have known Borrego Springs since the 70's. It is just what it appears to be: a lovely small desert town. It is completely enclosed by the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, and that feature protects it from serious development. Its permanent population is very small; it's winter population swells with seasonal residents, short term tourists, and weekenders. Retirees make up a significant portion of the population, but residents of all ages and backgrounds are represented. Hispanics are prominently represented in its population.

The town of Borrego itself has some lovely, wealthy areas, some very modest areas, and areas in between. Those who call it home, or who return year after year love it, and take great pride in its unique characteristics. It's proximity to the pretty hill towns in the ranges to the south and west, the Salton Sea, the Imperial Valley and, of course, to San Diego offers endless variety in surrounding areas.

Development is a touchy and difficult subject in Borrego. I don't know the details of what has happened with the large Montesoro project in the south of town, only that it is very controversial.

What draws all residents and regular visitors to Borrego together is a shared love of the Anza Borrego Sonoran desert. The Borrego desert offers superlative recreation, spectacular drives, hiking, camping, birding, opportunities for painting and photography, wildlife observation, history lessons, and simple enjoyment of abundant natural beauty. When winter rain falls, spring blossoms can be breath-taking. A commenter above noted how difficult the descent into Borrego is. Nonsense! I have done it many times; just make sure--as you should anyways--that any car you are driving has decent low gears!

Plan a visit to Borrego, and prepare to enjoy something very special. Just don't expect--thank God--Palm Springs.
Nice summary. During the wild flower season, Borrego is magnificent. There is also a surprizingly large artist community. The drive down highway 78 from Julian is amazingly beautiful [from alpine pines to ocotillo cactus].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 5,408 times
The problem is water. They have used almost all their water due to the citrus groves and plant nursery owners and golf courses. The water will be gone very soon making it a very bad investment. The old Zorro hotel, the pride and joy of the Borregos has closed. The speculators have left town leaving behind a big mess. Houses are half price and will go further down. It will go back to what it was before the bubble a sleepy dormant town for retirees and desert freaks. With no water. Great night skies though, best in the country.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,414 times
We visited Borrego Springs and fell in love with it, so much so that we are considering moving there. The desert is spectacular. I was a little freaked out by the mountain drive (through cloud cover at times), but my husband loved it. Everyone we met there was great. Your post reminded me of how nice it is.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:47 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Borrego Springs and the Anza Borrego Desert park was my favorite stomping ground for years when I lived in So Cal. I hiked most of the canyons and peaks in and around the Collins Valley area in my 20's and have the fondest memories (as well as some nice pics) of it. I don't live anywhere near there now but I'll be headed out to SD in mid-April of this year (2014). I'd like to take a day or overnight trip to the old canyons and I'd appreciate if anyone in the know could keep me abreast of how the wildflower bloom is progressing this year so that I can gauge my timing accordingly.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:56 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Here: Wildflowers | Anza-Borrego Foundation

Old 03-10-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Thanks. I tried the state park website already and it doesn't have any wildflower info on it right now. I also tried the 'wildflower hotline' number but it was a wrong #. And I figured I'd rather hear what an actual local who's been out there lately has to say anyways, if only to reminisce about old memories of the so-cal desert.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
otterpops, this link is pretty good with an even 'wildlflower status' index from 1-10, on the right side, mid-way down, as well as photos from posters from recent weekly trips and dated. It is a nice visit every now and then, once every 2-3 years if possible.
Desert Wildflower Reports for Anza Borrego Desert State Park by DesertUSA

Old 03-11-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
otterpops, this link is pretty good with an even 'wildlflower status' index from 1-10, on the right side, mid-way down, as well as photos from posters from recent weekly trips and dated. It is a nice visit every now and then, once every 2-3 years if possible.
Desert Wildflower Reports for Anza Borrego Desert State Park by DesertUSA
That is helpful. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego