Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:13 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Umm, Gray's Papaya hot dogs ARE NY style hot dogs and exactly what I'm looking for. I was in NYC a couple of weeks ago, and the first stop before hitting my sister's house was GP. There are better carts than others. The ones in front of the museum are catered to tourists, so they are not as good. The guy in front of Yankee stadium is awesome, as is the one near Union Square park in Manhattan. They have awards for best street carts in NYC for a reason.
okay but you were talking about street cart hot dogs and I didn't notice any street carts that grilled their hot dogs like Gray's Papaya in NY, just steamed them or whatever. So I thought the steamed/boiled type is what you were looking for. I didn't come across any street carts that made them like GP.

And sometimes hype leads to awards, NYC has a lot of choices and it's good overall but I'd take a CA Burrito late at night over the stuff I tried at the street carts there, but I like the variety there. I didn't get the hype about the Pizza either but to be fair the only places I tried were in Manhattan and Hoboken and Hoboken Pizza in PB was better than Hoboken Pizza in Hoboken imo. Hot dogs and pizza aren't really my thing though so it would probably take a lot to impress me, but GP did and that papaya drink is really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 PM

171 posts, read 588,384 times
mmm-yoso!!!: Hot Dogs

Mmm-Yoso is the most extensive San Diego food blog. It is mostly centered around asian cuisine since the writers are asian, but they have reviewed a LOT of SD restaurants.

The hot dogs section is mostly Chicago style hot dogs.

I am a huge fan of chinese, thai, vietnamese cuisine and if you enjoy more unusual food, then you will enjoy a lot of the restaurants on Convoy st. Some of the best dim sum can be had there. Also, there is an amazing Szechuan restaurant on Diane ave. in Clairemont called Ba Ren Szechuan. They just recently, after several years, added an english menu so you no longer have to play eeny-meeny or bring a chinese friend.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
okay but you were talking about street cart hot dogs and I didn't notice any street carts that grilled their hot dogs like Gray's Papaya in NY, just steamed them or whatever. So I thought the steamed/boiled type is what you were looking for. I didn't come across any street carts that made them like GP.

And sometimes hype leads to awards, NYC has a lot of choices and it's good overall but I'd take a CA Burrito late at night over the stuff I tried at the street carts there, but I like the variety there. I didn't get the hype about the Pizza either but to be fair the only places I tried were in Manhattan and Hoboken and Hoboken Pizza in PB was better than Hoboken Pizza in Hoboken imo. Hot dogs and pizza aren't really my thing though so it would probably take a lot to impress me, but GP did and that papaya drink is really good.
Every single hot dog vendor in NYC that I've ever gone to when I lived there grilled their dogs. They were in the water, and when you placed your order, they moved them to the grill.

The gyro guy in Midtown has some of the best Middle Eastern food in NYC and it comes from a cart. The carts in NYC are more than just hot dogs. They nominate them for awards every year and customers get to vote. Here are this year's finalists:

The 2009 Vendy Awards - Presenting the 2009 Vendy Awards Finalists!

And Hoboken Pizza in PB is horrible. We went there when we first moved here, thinking it would be like the pizza back home, but it wasn't. Bronx pizza in Hillcrest on the other hand is exactly like NYC style pizza. Not sure which pizzeria in Hoboken you went to, but Benny's on Washington is the most popular, but only because of the size of their slices. There are much better places in that city, but even more so in the surrounding towns.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:05 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Every single hot dog vendor in NYC that I've ever gone to when I lived there grilled their dogs. They were in the water, and when you placed your order, they moved them to the grill.
maybe I just wasn't paying attention when they did that, I just remember a few tasting kind of soggy/wet and not looking like it was grilled, especially compared to one's from GP.

Quote:
The gyro guy in Midtown has some of the best Middle Eastern food in NYC and it comes from a cart. The carts in NYC are more than just hot dogs. They nominate them for awards every year and customers get to vote. Here are this year's finalists:
The 2009 Vendy Awards - Presenting the 2009 Vendy Awards Finalists!
I agree, the gyros from the carts are pretty good and lots of variety.
Quote:
And Hoboken Pizza in PB is horrible. We went there when we first moved here, thinking it would be like the pizza back home, but it wasn't. Bronx pizza in Hillcrest on the other hand is exactly like NYC style pizza. Not sure which pizzeria in Hoboken you went to, but Benny's on Washington is the most popular, but only because of the size of their slices. There are much better places in that city, but even more so in the surrounding towns.
I think Hoboken is PB is pretty mediocre/bad too and it surprised me when this little hole in the wall in the downtown/waterfront area of Hoboken also called "Hoboken Pizza" was even worse. I didn't try to seek out good pizza and I was told Manhattan doesn't have the best pizza either, so I'm sure there are much better places I never got a chance to check out.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:12 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Bronx pizza in Hillcrest on the other hand is exactly like NYC style pizza. Not sure which pizzeria in Hoboken you went to, but Benny's on Washington is the most popular, but only because of the size of their slices. There are much better places in that city, but even more so in the surrounding towns.
Give Ciro's, Sicilian Thing and Luigi's a try, too. Bar Basic in downtown has good Connecticut-style, Pizza Fusion and Zia's in Hillcrest and Normal Heights, respectively, are good for more gourmet style. Can everyone tell that I don't cook and all I do is go out to eat? I've been exposed.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:19 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Sticking to the topic......I believe there is a Sabretts hot dog cart in Clairemont somewhere.

More importantly, the TJ-style, bacon wrapped hot dogs will make you forget about the New York hot dog!! Try them at Luche Libre in Middletown or La Puerta in the Gaslamp.

I'm also embarrassed to say that I still love the hot dogs at Costco, after all these years.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:40 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I'm also embarrassed to say that I still love the hot dogs at Costco, after all these years.
For $1.50 with a Coke and unlimited refills... they are a steal!

Their new Gelato deal is pretty good too.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:29 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
For $1.50 with a Coke and unlimited refills... they are a steal!

Their new Gelato deal is pretty good too.
Which locations have the Gelato? What flavor(s)?

Old 11-14-2009, 04:04 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Which locations have the Gelato? What flavor(s)?
The Costco store on Morena Blvd has Gelato:
Find a Costco warehouse

Not sure the flavors. You get 3 scoops for $1.50 (or something close).

Old 11-14-2009, 07:04 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
The Costco store on Morena Blvd has Gelato:
Find a Costco warehouse

Not sure the flavors. You get 3 scoops for $1.50 (or something close).
What 'bout in Mission Valley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego