Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:19 AM

138 posts, read 230,262 times

Advertisements

My wife is there now looking at homes while I take care of our home in Arizona. The Navy moved us out of SD in 1989 and I realize it's changed a lot since then. My wife has family there (Northpark) and she's always considered SD home and she wants to move back. Could anyone tell us about the area known as Otay Lakes? It seems to be one of the more affordable areas but is it a decent area? Our kids are grown so it's just the two of us, 3 dogs and a cat. We'd like to stay in the $350,000.00 range and would be an all cash deal. Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 03:21 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellzbellz View Post
My wife is there now looking at homes while I take care of our home in Arizona. The Navy moved us out of SD in 1989 and I realize it's changed a lot since then. My wife has family there (Northpark) and she's always considered SD home and she wants to move back. Could anyone tell us about the area known as Otay Lakes? It seems to be one of the more affordable areas but is it a decent area? Our kids are grown so it's just the two of us, 3 dogs and a cat. We'd like to stay in the $350,000.00 range and would be an all cash deal. Thanks for any input
The East side of Chula Vista (East of the 805) is very nice in my opinion. Eastlake , Otay Ranch and many more neighborhoods are very nice and SAFE in my opinion and we are military as well and have seen SAFE and UNSAFE areas in our travels. When we lived in Eastlake area of Chula Vista we loved it and it was one of the safest places we had ever lived.

I would concentrate on these zip codes 91910 (most neighborhoods) 91913,91914,91915.

The Navy moved us out of there last year or else we'd still be there, we loved it and we are East coast people. Can't wait to get back !!

If your retired Navy as well , it would be a good location for medical care at Balboa Naval Hospital which depending exactly where you'd live in Eastlake/Otay is only 12 to 15 miles away.

Good luck with your search and there are alot of good buys in your price range now in East Chula Vista.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:38 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
You should pay attention to see if there are homeowner's association fees and/or Mello Roos taxes. These tend to be on newer construction, and most of that area is pretty new.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:42 PM

Default Thanks, I was wondering about that

I am retired from the Navy and have been going to the local VA for all my medical needs and they do a great job. Any problems getting seen at Balboa?

The mello roos, hoa's and high property taxes do concern us somewhat. Everything is pretty low and affordable out here but the boss wants to go home so here we go. Thanks again for the info.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:43 PM

8 posts, read 28,393 times
Very nice with great schools from elementtary to high school. Plus I am preety sure there are quite a few military folks in Cula Vista (correct me if i'am wrong). My Aunt lives out there. It's growing quite fast last I heard, and looks good.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:23 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellzbellz View Post
I am retired from the Navy and have been going to the local VA for all my medical needs and they do a great job. Any problems getting seen at Balboa?

The mello roos, hoa's and high property taxes do concern us somewhat. Everything is pretty low and affordable out here but the boss wants to go home so here we go. Thanks again for the info.
hellzbellz- I only had to go to Balboa for referrals , being a dependent our PCM's were civilian practices that were Tri-care Prime approved. Which made it nice not having to go to Balboa for general DR. visits for myself and our two little ones. My wife who is active duty Corpsman (Lab Tech) was always seen at Balboa. Balboa IMO has great medical care , I did have minor surgery while there and also our second child was born there.

The only problem is PARKING , you have to almost arrive an hour ahead of time for an appointment. Now they were building another garage during the last few months we were there so hopefully it will improve the lack of parking. Balboa's running out of Real Estate so they can really only go up, unfortunately they can only go so high with Balboa being right in the flight landing path for San Diego Airport.

As far as high taxes I understand perfectly living here in the DC area , property taxes are high and cost of living is just about the same as San Diego except San Diegoens get to enjoy some really nice weather most of the year. But we plan to do the same as you and we're half way there and that is to pay CASH for a house . It will take a big drain off of the COL without a mortgage in California. Hopefully I'll be posting a thread with the same title as yours in another three and half years when the wife is up for a duty change or maybe a career change, we'll see? Again good luck with your search !!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 AM

Default Thanks

bunky3301, SOUTHEASTER1er, and f_m your input and encouragement are much appreciated. It's starting to get cold here so, yes, that SD weather is looking better all the time. My wife uses TriCare here with no problem so hopefully she'll be able to slip into the system there without a break in coverage and I'll take parking problems anytime instead of looking for healthcare on the open market. Good luck to you all, keep enjoying SD, and thanks again.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHEAST1er View Post
Very nice with great schools from elementtary to high school. Plus I am preety sure there are quite a few military folks in Cula Vista (correct me if i'am wrong). My Aunt lives out there. It's growing quite fast last I heard, and looks good.
You are correct my friend.Well correct with minor add ins if I may
The schools are better than average.Not as bad as some ESD schools but not top flight like the North County schools where income is higher.There are military people that live here but it's no Oceanside.My apartment complex(In the RDR area of Chula Vista) is connected with some of the bases around the country and offers I believe a 20% discount on rent or something like that.On the topic of growth:WAS.We where growing fast.The only areas of CV that have new construction at the moment are the San Miguel Ranch Development off of San Miguel Ranch once you pass the 125Freeway(SBE) .The other two areas are Rolling Hills Ranch Development north of Proctor Vly Road but only East of Coastal Hills;and the last area with new growth is the Eastlake Development along the Hunte area east of ELP and South of Olympic.That's it.Pretty small when you compare today's growth to the growth of 2002.All developments East of the 805 freeway had construction and might have had 2x more per development than the building in 2009.

But yep.Your post was very accurate.Just wanted to add in a few things.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
When f_m was referring to new construction, he was meaning anything built in the past 20 years that could still have outstanding Mello-Roos bonds that have to be repaid. By that definition, east Chula Vista is essentially ALL new construction.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
When f_m was referring to new construction, he was meaning anything built in the past 20 years that could still have outstanding Mello-Roos bonds that have to be repaid. By that definition, east Chula Vista is essentially ALL new construction.

That area got whacked with foreclosures so there are probably a bunch of good deals. There were for sale signs every block the last few times I went to Otay Lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego