Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:25 PM

181 posts, read 464,445 times

Advertisements

Pink squid, what is the white dip? Sour Cream/ Cream cheese sorta dip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 03:57 PM

426 posts, read 788,737 times
Hi Cecilia0909,
Everyone will have the favorites of course, so here is some of mine.

Fish Tacos are probably a "staple food" here in SD. My favorite restuarant for that is South Beach in Ocean Beach.

Hamburgers: Rocky's in Pacific Beach.

Seafood/Sushi: Umi's on Shelter Island Drive in Pt. Loma

BBQ: Phil's BBQ on Sports Arena Blvd in Loma Portal/Pt. Loma

Mexican: Casa de Pico (originally in Old Town but moved to La Mesa). Also I must mention that Old Town Mexican Cafe isn't really my favorite. But if your looking at location I would choose Coyote Cafe (right next to Old Town Mexican Cafe), or even Fred's (across the street). Also some one mentioned Miguel's Cocina. That's a great place too...expecially for Sunday brunch. But be careful of the crowds!

Downtown: Yard house, The Strip Club (it's not what you think, it's a place where you grill your own meat and add what you want to it).

Oh and Corvette dinner is a "50ish" style place. they just opened the new one in Pt. Loma area and it's bigger has [SIZE=3]arcades [/SIZE]for the kids. It's a fun experience if you've never dined in a "50" style diner before.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:32 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,326,159 times
Used to live in San Diego, and now I'm on the east coast. One of the things I miss more than anything is the amazing mexican food. You can't find corn tortillas here in most of the mex restaurants, but I remember some restaurants in the Old Town area having some of the most incredible and fresh corn tortilla. I get hungry just thinking about it.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention...Phil's BBQ in Hillcrest is the best BBQ in SD. Worth a visit.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:28 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,900,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubHaze View Post
Pink squid, what is the white dip? Sour Cream/ Cream cheese sorta dip?
It's a sour cream based dip with jalapenos. Quite yummy, IMHO.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:23 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,541,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention...Phil's BBQ in Hillcrest is the best BBQ in SD. Worth a visit.
Could be wrong, but I think they are closed for good in Hillcrest. I know they are now open in Point Loma.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Could be wrong, but I think they are closed for good in Hillcrest. I know they are now open in Point Loma.
You may be right. I moved out of SD in 2005 and haven't been back since. Point Loma seems like a better location for Phil's. I'm just glad their still in business.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:22 PM

6,879 posts, read 8,853,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Correct. The BBQ odor no longer permeates about Mission Hills (not Hillcrest). Phil's outgrew the MH space. Lefty's is now there.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:27 PM

31 posts, read 66,507 times
Vallarta near the intersection of Balboa ad Gennessee is an awesome drive-thr Mexican restaurant. Plus theres a few seats inside and outside on the patio as well. Their carne asada tacos are amazing...just one plus a drink is enough to fill you up.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilia0909 View Post
We are planning a visit to San Diego in March/April of 2010, we love food and wanted to know local places people recommend grabbing a bite?
Doesn't have to be high end but can be. We will have 3 kids with us and 3 adults.
Also we are staying at the Hilton Resort and Spa so would like to stay close to there but will have a car and GPS.

Thanks for your help!
Hi!, I'm used to going once a month to a very lovely retaurant called bananaleaf, whose specialty is southern Indian Food. The service is excellent, well priced and most importantly meals among a wide range of options, are mouthwatering. I recommend it, check it out at [FONT=&quot]Gift Cards | Banana Leaf South Indian Restaurant, Indian Cuisine & Food in San Diego (http://www.bananaleafsd.com/gift-cards/ - broken link)[/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego