Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 04:48 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
PS - I didn't go to school in California.
(too funny)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 05:01 PM

150 posts, read 127,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Wow... okay then. Personal attacks always make someone wish to help you.

Anyhow, I don't feel like fueling this apparent argument that it seems you're trying to spark, so I'll be stepping away from this thread after this. However, I did find some previous threads that are on the topic that you seem to be asking.

Is 86K a year after taxes decent for a family of four in Oside, Encinitas, or Carlsbad?
What makes SD so expensive?
San Diego Questions?? For all of those who live in San Diego,CA
What's not to like about San Diego?
Info
85k -- can i make it in SD??
Is $50,000 sufficient to live on in SD?
To all moving, or thinking of moving to San Diego...some advice

They might not all be completely talking about cost of living, but if you skim them I am sure you'll find a good deal of relevant information.

And...just a word of advice before I go...having a poor attitude and being impolite to other posters isn't going to get you far on here. If you continue with personal attacks, you're probably just going to get banned.

PS - I didn't go to school in California.
Thanks for the links. I will be sure to look at them.

Also, I am annoyed because this is not the first time that I have gotten little responses on this site. The seattle forum is not helpful either.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:28 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
If you have to ask... Seriously, if you have a good job lined up or are independently wealthy or are a professional, you will be fine. The same is true of all major metro areas. A lot of working class people seem to feel they are "entitled" to have the same standard of living as people with more education and training and/or people who are willing to take risks with their life (business folks). Sorry, but you can't afford to live in Manhatten, SF, LA or San Diego (in the nice areas). Boo hoo. You can afford, however, to live in the outlining areas, save your money and move to the nicer parts. Just like everyone else. If it is worth it to you, you can do it. If it isn't, then go move to Oklahoma and buy a big boring piece of property. But don't expect to be able to live in desirable places without making the investment in your career or savings.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
If you have to ask... Seriously, if you have a good job lined up or are independently wealthy or are a professional, you will be fine. The same is true of all major metro areas. A lot of working class people seem to feel they are "entitled" to have the same standard of living as people with more education and training and/or people who are willing to take risks with their life (business folks). Sorry, but you can't afford to live in Manhatten, SF, LA or San Diego (in the nice areas). Boo hoo. You can afford, however, to live in the outlining areas, save your money and move to the nicer parts. Just like everyone else. If it is worth it to you, you can do it. If it isn't, then go move to Oklahoma and buy a big boring piece of property. But don't expect to be able to live in desirable places without making the investment in your career or savings.
I am not really interested in moving to San Diego.

I am happy in NYC. I am just wondering why many people on this stie are complaining about the cost of living compared to job opportunities/salary.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:26 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,991,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
I am not really interested in moving to San Diego.

I am happy in NYC. I am just wondering why many people on this stie are complaining about the cost of living compared to job opportunities/salary.
Hey BXNYC,

sorry you haven't been able to get the kind of discussion you were hoping for. (no sarcasm)

But yeah, it seems that many people find it hard to afford a quality home in San Diego. That is pretty much the main complaint about cost of living. My thinking is that there are a lot of people who have moved here from areas that have much more affordable homes, i.e. the Midwest and are not used to being assaulted with the high price tags. I grew up in LA and when I moved to NYC I had trouble getting used to how much property costs there. It just seemed like I wasn't getting bang for my buck. I kept thinking about how much more I could get in LA for my money. With the experiences of living in LA and NYC, SD seems like a bargain. I know many people don't share my viewpoint and I acknowledge it is expensive in comparison to most people's wages- but for me it is a personal bargain. But you know, California is pretty expensive in general. There are areas that are more affordable, but if you want to live in places that have a reasonable commute to urban centers where jobs usually are or nicer and safer neighborhoods, then the prices jump up pretty quickly.

A lot of people complain about it (rightly so) and predict doom and gloom and that California is going down. My personal prediction is that California isn't going down anytime soon as troubled as it is. People will always want to live here. I only expect prices to get worse in the future again as we recycle back to economic boom times. Those who bought beach front property 20 years ago are very lucky.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:30 PM

The question that I am trying to ask................

Do the jobs in San Diego offset the cost of living?

Old 11-29-2009, 09:36 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxnyc View Post
the question that i am trying to ask................

Do the jobs in san diego offset the cost of living?

no!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:10 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Do the jobs in San Diego offset the cost of living?
No.

San Diego is mostly tourism and military. It is a resort town. Most jobs are low-paying hospitality and retail. We don't have a big economic driver like Wall Street or Hollywood or Silicon Valley or a major port here. But our cost-of-living, particularly housing, is among the highest in the country.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
no!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
No.

San Diego is mostly tourism and military. It is a resort town. Most jobs are low-paying hospitality and retail. We don't have a big economic driver like Wall Street or Hollywood or Silicon Valley or a major port here. But our cost-of-living, particularly housing, is among the highest in the country.
Thanks guys for answering this question.

I asked the question overall specifically for jobs in general and got a good answer from you two.

I am in the business field with experience in : Accounting, Finance, HR, Maketing, Sales, and Banking. So, San Diego does not seem right for my fields.

San Diego sounds expensive probably because of the beaches.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:45 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
I am in the business field with experience in : Accounting, Finance, HR, Maketing, Sales, and Banking. So, San Diego does not seem right for my fields.
If you are looking for jobs in white collar business services in a corporate setting, San Diego is very weak. If you can translate those skills to healthcare, high-tech / government, there are options. But I would put that portion of the economy on par with much lower-cost cities like Pittsburgh or Tampa or Portland OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego