Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nojjy View Post
July 5th, 2010

-- a day does not go by that my right to peaceful enjoyment is not infringed upon.
Actually, your "right" is to "the pursuit of happiness." That means you're free to move elsewhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 08:28 PM

139 posts, read 434,970 times
To me, the sounds of "Military Choppers", is the sound of freedom. But if the sound bothers you, you should think about moving.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:35 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Helicopters, like all air craft have to fly at certain altitudes and can't just change because they are waking up people. If you live in a military city than expect that kind of noise. But it isn't just a bunch of pilots carelessly flying around!

Old 07-05-2010, 09:43 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
The police helicopters are overused. They go out for every single call. We had a domestic incident on our block once, no one left the property - and the chopper was hovering overhead for 20 minutes. My guess is they have a use-it-or-lose it fuel and maintenance budget. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge PD supporter, but I would rather they spend some money on more officers than burning gas on a chopper to respond to every single drunk who tripped over a curb.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:21 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Actually, your "right" is to "the pursuit of happiness." That means you're free to move elsewhere!
That's right!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:59 PM

70 posts, read 312,706 times
There are many factors that effect the PD helicopter (ABLE) specifically. Logistically, having the helicopter on the pad waiting for a call as a fire engine would is not practical. It takes five to ten minutes to ready the craft and go through mandatory checklists that any pilot will tell you must be done. Combined with response time, by the time they arrive, the moment has passed so to speak. Many very bad people have been caught solely because the helicopter was up and close enough to make a difference. I've seen many cases the helicopter called out suspects locations for minutes before the first ground unit arrived to make the arrest.

These things don't happen at a constant rate and the bad guys don't schedule a time convenient for the helicopter. That will result in times the helicopter is up with no "in progress" crimes to respond to. At these times they cover where they can and when they think a call may take a turn for the worse. They don't just watch from up there either, they also roll video.

The down time is unfortunate for those along the ECB corridor. I've seen the air traffic guide line maps and I couldn't make sense of them. I was told there is a clear lane along ECB from the landing patterns of Lindbergh, Montgomery, MCAS Miramar and Gillespie. The Mid-City area, being the busiest for police activity in the city, is also a factor.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:34 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Every week I hear military and Boder Patrol helicopters fly over my neighborhood. It's no big deal. it only lasts a few seconds

Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 AM

66 posts, read 155,903 times
I live in Mission Valley and I too have a lot of helicopter noise!!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:53 PM

114 posts, read 308,911 times
I don't know. Helicopters have been flying over my neighborhood, too, the last weeks. Mostly police helicopters. It's annoying and I noticed that for some reason, they distort my digital antenna signal.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,115 times
I live near the 5 in PB, and the only time it ever bothers me is at night. They often circle the neighborhood for upwards of an hour, as late (early) as 3AM. I remember over the winter this occurred nightly for about a week straight, and quite often after that. I guess this should be expected living so close to the highway and near downtown PB, but it's too bad considering the neighborhood is actually residential and not full of typical PB antics.

At any rate, it doesn't bother me when it happens during the day, or anytime of day/night when it's just a quick fly-by, but the incessant early morning hovering is pretty annoying. Definitely not an issue typical of other cities, either; it's a San Diego thing. Unfortunately I can understand the SDPD's reasoning and you just have to deal with it. For any of you that are complaining about short afternoon fly-bys, consider yourselves lucky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego