Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 PM

112 posts, read 426,411 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Northern Fla where there are more handymen than jobs so obviously the wages are ultra low with no change in sight.Ya could make more money feeding horses around here than learn a building trade. Is there a demand for a good dependable self employed handyman in the San Diego area? Im dependable, reliable, over 30ys experience and I always do the job right, or I dont do it at all. (I held a valid Calif contractors license thru the 70s & 80s) After 22years of damp ass humid underpaid Florida Im ready to come back hopefully to a decent wage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:42 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,359,457 times
It's saturated by out-of-work contractors and illegal aliens

Old 12-09-2009, 11:29 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,372,401 times
Handymen don't make good wages anywhere.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:53 PM

35 posts, read 101,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Handymen don't make good wages anywhere.
That's really unfortunate... I have been hoping to one day leave my IT career and go into my own home remodeling business - I'm quite good at the various construction trades. While I make an excellent living in my IT job, I really don't enjoy it nearly as much as home construction.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,528,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy1224 View Post
That's really unfortunate... I have been hoping to one day leave my IT career and go into my own home remodeling business - I'm quite good at the various construction trades. While I make an excellent living in my IT job, I really don't enjoy it nearly as much as home construction.
You can use your handyman skills AND make good money if you 'flip' properties. Flipping is a little risky and it can be very profitable.

Watch the three interviews (in order) with Adam Rappoport on this blog: bubbleinfo.com
You'll need to scroll down toward the bottom.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:24 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,372,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy1224 View Post
That's completely different from being a handyman.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 PM

Default I do Both

In my past handyman businesses first in Dana Point, Ca for over 15 years then In Palm Beach Fl for over 20 years, and both places were a very enjoyable experience. My customers were like friends & family sending me Christmas cards, and my business being totaly referral-I didnt even advertise for years. I sorta got stuck in Ocala Fl after flipping my rentals In West Palm Beach Fl, and moving to Ocala(buying a house I cant sell or rent for a decent price) Folks here are CHEAP and fortunately from my past house flipping I have enough money to tell them to keep their $9.00 per hour. This financial situation will last for another good 5 years, but I now kindda miss being the "Knight in Shinning Aromour" saving the folks from the home repair problem with a feasable solution thus being cheerfully paid $25.00 per hr. , and Plenty of work (almost too much) booked up. I could almost bet that any area in the western side of the country has better working wages and conditions than N Florida

Old 12-09-2009, 08:09 PM

181 posts, read 464,578 times
Many places in San Diego are renting homes out because they can't be sold. House flipping was a decent though risky solution for people before the flipping market became saturated. I agree with the other posters that there are too many handymen out there, and more so there are illegal aliens willing to do the work at nearly half the cost, though it may not be as quality of a job, people are going cheaper than ever now, especially in this economy. Good Luck buddy.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:51 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discontented lot owner View Post
I currently live in Northern Fla where there are more handymen than jobs so obviously the wages are ultra low with no change in sight.Ya could make more money feeding horses around here than learn a building trade. Is there a demand for a good dependable self employed handyman in the San Diego area? Im dependable, reliable, over 30ys experience and I always do the job right, or I dont do it at all. (I held a valid Calif contractors license thru the 70s & 80s) After 22years of damp ass humid underpaid Florida Im ready to come back hopefully to a decent wage
forget it. If you think Florida is bad, San Diego particularly would be a problem..There are almost no jobs for anything, handymen or anything else. Any jobs in the construction field will go to those willing to work for min wage or to illegals. The cost of living in So California is higher than in Florida and you mention the people being cheap in Florida. I don't think it is that as much as the economy. No one has to pay as much for a home as they did 5 years ago, no one has to pay much for handymen as they are a dime a dozen and many people can't afford to even hire anyone to do anything.

NIta

Old 12-10-2009, 04:45 PM

Question Is Mobile The Answer??

The next time I travel the country looking for opportunity Im going to rent instead of buy, and always have enough money to leave town if work goes south (no pun intended).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego