Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 AM

489 posts, read 1,955,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
First off, we lived in OC during the early to mid 80's, so I know that it's not a tropical island during winter (or even other seasons). More importantly (and more recent), I was in San Diego for a week the first week of February, 2009. Spent a week by myself (for personal and business) in North Coastal San Diego (Carlsbad/Encinitas) and then finished off my stay in downtown San Diego. Weather was almost 80 the first three days I was there, then went down to 70's.
I remember those few weeks last year--I did a whale watching cruise at that time and it was gorgeous--with very flat, almost glassy seas. I think it was near 90 on the coast the day we went out. That was a Santa Ana (thus the glassy seas)--that's usually when you'll get temperatures like that at that time of year, but if you come at that time of year automatically expecting to get that weather every day, you may be disappointed.

Just come expecting to get out of sub-zero temps and snow--anything is better than that.

BTW - Two tourists I talked to on the whale watching boat decided that day they were going to move here!

Last edited by jkoz; 12-16-2009 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 12:18 AM

457 posts, read 1,344,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
Yep, they ALL think that--midwesterners too.

I tell them December in San Diego can be compared to Michigan in late March/early April in terms of temperature, and in terms of the rain. You might be able to break out the shorts and flip-flops during a Santa Ana, but that's about it.

A few weeks ago I saw a couple of gals in their mid 20s sitting on the beach in swimsuits at the Del dutifully applying suntan lotion--in temps of about 65 degrees--they were bound and determined! LOL
I used to wear shorts year round. It never gets that cold.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:27 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,370,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskray917 View Post
I used to wear shorts year round. It never gets that cold.
I only ware pants when I'm a. going to somplace important when I need to have a certain appearance or b. Out in nature somewhere when I need my legs protected. Never because I think it's cold.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:45 AM

11 posts, read 39,720 times
hey...alot of good input...yah this is my first winter here...and just to clear up a point...by posting this I didnt mean I was disapointed with the weather overall here...but just to tell people its not "tropic"....alot of people like myself want that "hot,hot 80- 90 degree weather all year round" and that the perception to outsiders is that San Diego is that way......and people out here are in general "people pleasers" so when I asked them if the weather was nice and hot in the winter everyone told me it was!!.....people out east are more straight shooters...so be careful how you phrase questions to Sd'ers and ask specifics to a wider range of people for the most accurate answer to your questions...but I love the people here still...no worries!!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:34 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,374,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly2sddude View Post
......and people out here are in general "people pleasers" so when I asked them if the weather was nice and hot in the winter everyone told me it was!!.....people out east are more straight shooters...so be careful how you phrase questions to Sd'ers and ask specifics to a wider range of people for the most accurate answer to your questions...but I love the people here still...no worries!!
Painting us all as people-pleasers isn't exactly accurate...

You have to remember that we all have different perceptions. To me it is nice and warm here in winter - and I've lived here all my life - but I've travelled to other places, so I do know what cold is, and it is definitely not what I would call cold here, ever.

The straightest answer I could give you is that it's temperate and beautiful and yes, warm, most of the year here, including winter.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:42 AM

50,226 posts, read 46,975,220 times
I tell people it's cold and nasty. Better yet I send them pics of me in the snow from Laguna.

Too many people here already.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,919,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly2sddude View Post
and people out here are in general "people pleasers"
Apparently you haven't run into me yet.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:49 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,472,889 times
It's 7 degrees here right now and the view outside is a portrait of death. Be thankful.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,370,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I tell people it's cold and nasty. Better yet I send them pics of me in the snow from Laguna.

Too many people here already.
I like that approach LOL. Better to discourage more crowding

Old 12-16-2009, 06:02 PM

736 posts, read 2,293,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Biggest misconception East Coasters have is that California has Florida's weather.

Very well put....but I'd add that historically California boosters were very happy to perpetuate that misconception. From the Beach Boys to the Chamber of Commerce.....

Big difference between a tropical/sub-tropical climate (so. fla) and a mediterranean climate (so. calif).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego