Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:14 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,904,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Almost all of what you have said is totally false. I guess you have never heard of Rancho Santa Fe which is wealthier than any place in OC. Downtown San Diego was NOT a ghetto 10 years ago. It was pretty seedy 30 years ago but that all started to change in 1985 when they built Horton Plaza downtown and the Gaslamp area. There is no area of SD county as bad as Santa Ana in OC.

As to the OP's original question, the answer is that OC is much more materialistic. San Diego is more laid back and most of the people don't have an attitude like in OC.
And this isn't an attitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 07:42 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,563,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
I've heard Camp Pendleton called the "Great Wall of Orange County", referring to the differences between S.D. and O.C. culture. I'd have to say the major difference I've noted is that the people seem less friendly in O.C. The difference is subtle, but strangely noticeable the minute you get to San Clemente.
That is interesting. My GF and I both felt as though San Clemente was far more welcoming and friendly than SD. Hell, I am 38 yrs old and I had more than 1 20 something yr old girl smile, say hello or chat. That alone made me like the area . Plus, I noticed a good vibe with a lot of small businesses and even a street performer or two playing guitar for change by the beach. I.put it at the top of my list for a place to live if I venture to Socal.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:30 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,904,629 times
San Clemente is a surfing laid back community. Most people don't think of OC when they think San Clemente. I think a lot of people just get stuck in what the media tells them or what they saw on tv. There are plenty of people in downtown SD now that have the same attitudes as those in OC.

Yeah in places like Newport beach and Laguna beach or Ladera Ranch, you might get those "i'm better than you" communities. But Huntington Beach is kind of like PB in many ways. Go further north and closer to LA, people assume it's a part of LA and there are many poor people struggling to get by. Places like San Clemente and San Juan Capistrano have a lot of seedy areas. But most people just think of the OC as whatever the media tells them to think and "wow Laguna beach is filled with snobs" and forget that OC isn't just Laguna beach or newport beach.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:42 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,056,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Almost all of what you have said is totally false. I guess you have never heard of Rancho Santa Fe which is wealthier than any place in OC. Downtown San Diego was NOT a ghetto 10 years ago. It was pretty seedy 30 years ago but that all started to change in 1985 when they built Horton Plaza downtown and the Gaslamp area. There is no area of SD county as bad as Santa Ana in OC.

As to the OP's original question, the answer is that OC is much more materialistic. San Diego is more laid back and most of the people don't have an attitude like in OC.
I don't want to getting into a yellow water contest; however, I am interested in knowing how you arrived at this conclusion? Is it home prices? Is it income? Is it wealth? I think you need to look at prices in coastal OC if your measure is home prices. I will leave it at that.

And even La Jolla is considerably cheaper than a place like Laguna Beach, at least in terms of price per square foot.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
San Clemente is a surfing laid back community. Most people don't think of OC when they think San Clemente. I think a lot of people just get stuck in what the media tells them or what they saw on tv. There are plenty of people in downtown SD now that have the same attitudes as those in OC.

Yeah in places like Newport beach and Laguna beach or Ladera Ranch, you might get those "i'm better than you" communities. But Huntington Beach is kind of like PB in many ways. Go further north and closer to LA, people assume it's a part of LA and there are many poor people struggling to get by. Places like San Clemente and San Juan Capistrano have a lot of seedy areas. But most people just think of the OC as whatever the media tells them to think and "wow Laguna beach is filled with snobs" and forget that OC isn't just Laguna beach or newport beach.
Uh, I go to San Juan and San Clemente pretty often. San Juan has La Zanja, but seriously, I am not at all afraid to go there just because it is a Mexican neighborhood with hard working people. I like Mexicans, I speak Spanish, so uh yeah, hardly a bad area or a place I'd be scared to walk around even at night. San Clemente has few so called bad areas. Get real. Both cities are very expensive. THe gang problems in both are tiny and well under control.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:

San Clemente is most definitely OC and is actually a very old town. Look up San Clemente and it's history on line. It is the first master planned, all Spanish themed suburb. And it is VERY nice.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 02-27-2014 at 09:35 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 08:50 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,099,452 times
no we are just as shallow as anybody else.
if you find some americans living somewhere else that are not materialistic please do post about it. i know 2 types of americans, those who have stuff and those who dont. the ones that dont think the others are materialistic.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
That is interesting. My GF and I both felt as though San Clemente was far more welcoming and friendly than SD. Hell, I am 38 yrs old and I had more than 1 20 something yr old girl smile, say hello or chat. That alone made me like the area . Plus, I noticed a good vibe with a lot of small businesses and even a street performer or two playing guitar for change by the beach. I.put it at the top of my list for a place to live if I venture to Socal.
That's because people are very friendly in OC I have found! I go to eat at a place in downtown San Juan on the weekends sometimes, and people are so friendly and nice. But a bunch of Carlsbad soccer kids had taken the place over a few weeks ago.

It's all good mornings and hellos. I love it. Nice folks.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,752,068 times
Quote:
And this isn't an attitude?
No, that is not an attitude. It is simply correcting false information.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:35 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,752,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I don't want to getting into a yellow water contest; however, I am interested in knowing how you arrived at this conclusion? Is it home prices? Is it income? Is it wealth? I think you need to look at prices in coastal OC if your measure is home prices. I will leave it at that.

And even La Jolla is considerably cheaper than a place like Laguna Beach, at least in terms of price per square foot.
La Jolla is not Rancho Santa Fe. There are many homes in Rancho Santa Fe over 10,000 sq. ft. with very large lots.

http://www.trulia.com/CA/Rancho_Santa_Fe/

My post was in response to this statement:

"South OC makes the wealthiest of San Diego's neighborhoods look middle class or substandard,...".

That is totally false and you know it.

Last edited by JohnSoCal; 02-27-2014 at 11:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego