Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:52 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,716,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Is such a by car summer trip from SD to Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia doable? If so, how much time should I set aside? Should I eliminate any from this list? Any specific recs of places to stay, things to do, eateries there and along the way? We like to relatively nonstrenous hike (kids ages 5 and 9) and see good nature. Swimming is good; pure camping not so much.
I, too, did the exact trip as a kid with my family. Couldn't tell you much about getting there, since my Dad did the driving. I remember doing short hikes in Sequoia and Yosemite. We didn't camp, rather, we stayed in motels. Standing at the base of a gushing waterfall is a vivid memory I still have. Ended up in Reno and haven't been back since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,381,279 times
Quote:
Thanks. What is great about Tahoe - what is fun, cool to do there?
Tahoe is gorgeous- I believe it is the prettiest large lake in the US. In the summer you can boat, water ski, sail, kayak, etc. on the the lake, the hiking around there and the wilderness areas are amazing, the golf is good, and the climate during the summer is perfect. At night the star gazing is amazing. It's hard for me to know what you like to do without knowing much about you, but if you like looking at jaw dropping views, Tahoe is fantastic. Fallen Leaf Lake is a nice lake next to Tahoe that is quieter and family friendly. Donner lake and various other lakes near tahoe are also nice. The Desolation wilderness, which can be reached via Fallen Leaf Lake or parts of Tahoe is amazing for backpacking, or even short hikes with kids. You just need to get a book on trails of this area to determine what is appropriate for your family. I remember being young and enjoying short hikes to lakes where I would go for a swim (in the desolation wilderness you can have an entire alpine lake to yourself and your family even in the middle of summer). If you like to fish, the fishing is excellent. There are rivers that provide good fly fishing.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:24 PM

36 posts, read 62,875 times
Default I miss Yosemite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
trust me, you'll know, it is extremely apparent. make sure you stop at the view point after you drive through the tunnel, you will be in awe!

as for temps, it gets hot in the summer (upwards of 100), but it's not overwhelming.
I agree go thru the tunnel!!!!! (140 via Mariposa) There is a car park at the end park and have your camera ready!!!!
I lived near there and would go there once or twice a month!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:49 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,168,916 times
Quote:
Thanks. What is great about Tahoe - what is fun, cool to do there?
There is no place like Tahoe and there are plenty of great activities to do there. A couple of summers ago I was there for a veyr short stay and managed to do a sprint triathlon, go rafting, play 9 holes of golf and go kayaking on the lake all int the SAME DAY. You can swim in the lake but it's not warm, so bring a spring suit at least.

As great as Tahoe is, Yosemite is even more special and unique and should definitely not be missed. Make time to see the tuolumne area and even hetch hetchy besides just the valley (although the valley is a must if you've not been there).

Expect both of the above places to be very crowded all summer and make reservations way in advance especially if you plan to camp in the valley.

Sequoia is definitely less crowded and still a great place to visit, but of the three it is the most skippable since you can see sequoia trees in Yosemite. But on the other hand, it is a lot easier to hit in a loop route from SoCal and going to Tahoe and Yosemite would take you on more of a zigzag pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego