Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:36 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times

Advertisements

This thread is frustrating.

You want something that does not exist, but then refuse to accept the options that best meet your desires.

There is little-to-no luxury beachfront housing in PB because it is a low-rent area. There are very few wealthy young professionals in San Diego. Therefore almost no one under 30 can afford luxury housing, especially in beach areas. Those who do exist, tend to avoid places like PB because they are noisy and dirty. The areas recommended like Del Mar, Downtown, are where single young people with money tend to live.

I really think you should take a look at Hermosa Beach or Manhattan Beach in the Los Angeles area. That is exactly what you are looking for. Upscale and crowded with young people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 11:38 AM

426 posts, read 791,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanz View Post
man why are you trying to make me appear like i dont know what im saying.. all i want is a place on the beach but somewhere also fun.. think seaside heights NJ
It's not hard for us to understand, we know what you want, and we are giving you the answers. There really are no places that describe what you want, where you want. Trying to give you other possibilities. But I guess you will see for yourself once you get here. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:13 PM

34 posts, read 150,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I really think you should take a look at Hermosa Beach or Manhattan Beach in the Los Angeles area. That is exactly what you are looking for. Upscale and crowded with young people.
If LA is option I totally agree with the above.

Also, some unsolicited advice: Unless you are independently wealthy, I would not spend $4-5K on a luxury apartment if you want to own a place like that before you're middle-aged. Make sure you are maxing out your 401K, before budgeting an exorbitant amount for an apartment. If I were you I would look for a roomy, high-end place with a like-minded roomate. You'll cut your costs in half and meet people easier.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:24 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Mission Beach is pretty much the ONLY place you will find what you are looking for, or at least it comes closest. It has plenty of nice, luxury beachfront homes to choose from where tons of people go by daily. The problem is I don't know how many of those you can rent year round, most tend to be 9-month rentals or owner occupied. Places that are not directly on the boardwalk/sand will tend to offer year round leases more so. Maybe if a place is a 9-month lease you can negotiate and try to stay during summer for a higher rent. I would try to talk to some agent/broker to help you out with this. Given your budget somebody should be able to find something for you. I see groups of young people all the time in these luxury beach houses, but of course they are just renting them for a few days or a week. So just try to find one of these places and see if you can rent it for a year.

I believe in another thread you said you were staying at Tower 23. One block east of Tower 23 are a couple of new luxury townhouse/condo complexes that are just a block from Garnett and a block from the ocean with tons of people going by. I didn't notice any "For Rent" signs but some of those units might be available for rent. And there are other complexes like it here and there in PB, you just gotta go around and search for them.

I feel you can find something close to what you want but you really gotta search hard. Check other websites other than craigslist for one, use an agent, and just walk around PB and MB looking for places.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:28 PM

315 posts, read 821,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsproule View Post
If LA is option I totally agree with the above.

Also, some unsolicited advice: Unless you are independently wealthy, I would not spend $4-5K on a luxury apartment if you want to own a place like that before you're middle-aged. Make sure you are maxing out your 401K, before budgeting an exorbitant amount for an apartment. If I were you I would look for a roomy, high-end place with a like-minded roomate. You'll cut your costs in half and meet people easier.
sorry if im frustrating you guys but thanks so far, now i understand a little more.. i guess i will look into downtown.. as for my income, i own an internet company and $4-5k on rent is less than 10% of how much i make monthly.. so i dont think its crazy to spend that at all, and i do have a lot of money saved away already..

also reason why i want to know the area so bad is once i hit san diego, i'll be working with agents, so id like to at least know the areas to check out..

ive decided to just go there for a month and stay in a hotel and check out diff places, then try to offer more money to go month to month when i find a place i like.. not sure i want to sign a lease yet...

Old 01-27-2010, 05:16 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
I can't really add to anything that has already been said, but I do have links to a couple publications that seem to fit your bill. They are geared more towards the younger, money set (or those who pretend that they have money). Lots of pics, club/restaurant listings, articles for those interested in things more upscale.

Riviera Magazine (Subscribe and click on the digital edition)
Today's Updates | San Diego

944 San Diego Edition (Very shallow, if you can handle it)
San Diego Fashion, Entertainment, Lifestyle :: 944

Old 01-27-2010, 05:21 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post

My friend lives in Redondo/Manhattan and while it's more upscale (ie, not as many tattoo parlors) than PB, the crowd seems alot older. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's not full of hot 20-somethings that you see running about PB.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
My friend lives in Redondo/Manhattan and while it's more upscale (ie, not as many tattoo parlors) than PB, the crowd seems alot older. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's not full of hot 20-somethings that you see running about PB.
Hermosa is the younger crowd, and it's way nicer than PB. Redondo is the oldest, Manhattan is the wealthiest. Huntington Beach would also fit what he is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego