Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:35 PM

7 posts, read 13,718 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been a long time fan of these forums, now I actually need advice! It looks like I'll be relocating to San Diego from New Jersey for work in the next few months, but I am much more familiar with Huntington Beach CA, as my partner is currently living there. We are an interracial couple (me- African American female who is a life-long East Coaster; he- Caucasian male California beach bum/surfer boy all the way) We have a one year old child together.

My new position looks to be located directly east of Torrey Pines golf course (about 4 miles, just east of the 805). Our combined gross income will be around $165K. We definitely plan on renting for a bit while I feel things out, and would love to keep the rent under $2000, but will go as much as $2500 depending on amenities/proximity.

- Since I have a one year old, schools are not a concern, but would like good outdoor playspace.

- I also would love to be near a beach, and I think we'll have to head that way with my surfer boy, but is that realistic with that rent range? Would living on the beach impact a commute to work? I'll probably work at the office 3 days/week and telecommute the other two, so commuting may not be too much of an issue to live in a good area that meets our needs. My guy doesn't work out of an office, he just needs good access to the airport.

-Travel, both domestic and international, are a part of our positions; are non-stop flight schedules good out of San Diego International, or will I have to connect everywhere?

- A diverse area would be terrific, though I understand that there's not many AAs in general in SD. It would be nice to not be the only black person on the block!

At this point, the only sticking point is that my guy is pushing for Pacific Beach, but from reading info on these forums, I think it may be too young a crowd for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give as I do my searches on Craigslist and apartment rental websites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:00 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
I would probably not pick Pacific Beach. If you look at the north end of PB up towards Bird Rock, that area is better. Still you will see very few African-Americans in the beach areas with the exception of Mission Beach on weekends.

Best bet in my opinion is one of the nicer parts of the central city, i.e. Mission Hills, University Heights, Bankers Hill, etc. It will be farther from the beach, but will be more diverse. If you absolutely must be near the beach, I don't think you will have any problems with race, but you will probably have to get used to being the only African-American you know.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:36 PM

315 posts, read 821,046 times
hmm im black and i was thinking of moving to PB.. is it racist there? you can be honest

Old 01-17-2010, 04:40 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanz View Post
hmm im black and i was thinking of moving to PB.. is it racist there? you can be honest
No, I don't think it's racist.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:45 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
I've lived in North County since 1985 and would recommend looking somewhere like Leucadia or Cardiff. The rent may be close to, or a little more than you are looking to spend, but in my opinion the beaches in North County are superior to those of the PB/MB area...less crowds and less rowdy, drunk meatheads, and way more laid back. Again, that is just my personal opinion.

Like Sassberto said, race probably won't be an issue, but it's true, I hardly see any african americans at the aforementioned beaches.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:31 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
Yeah race isn't an issue at all at our beaches, you just don't see too many Blacks or Hispanics around. You might want to check out Imperial beach, you might feel more comfortable living down there than in PB since it's a lot more diverse, well it's mainly Mexican, but Mexican and Black folks are cool with each other in SD.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:29 PM

48 posts, read 147,056 times
I can agree you don't see many black people around SD but I have never been anywhere in SD that I didnt see any Hispanics ever. Im not a beach person but I would suggest one of the beaches in North County. As far as interacial couples, me and my wife never had and issue nor have any of our friends. One of my co-workers lives in PB, younger crowds frequent the bars but he loves living there and hasnt had a problem. Hes in his mid 30's

Old 01-25-2010, 06:51 PM

7 posts, read 13,718 times
Thanks so much for the replies. I was out in SD last week to get a feel of the office and co-workers, but didn't have a chance at all to look around beyond the office (basically an overnight- maybe 18 hours total on the ground in SD) I'll probably be out again in the next few weeks and will definitely keep these suggestions in mind!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Yeah race isn't an issue at all at our beaches, you just don't see too many Blacks or Hispanics around. You might want to check out Imperial beach, you might feel more comfortable living down there than in PB since it's a lot more diverse, well it's mainly Mexican, but Mexican and Black folks are cool with each other in SD.
Skinheads are active in IB. I've had issues in Ocean Beach as well. The other beaches as mentioned won't be a problem if you're black as long as you don't mind being one of the few around.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 PM

315 posts, read 821,046 times
skinheads active in IB? ocean beach?

im black too.. what kinda racism did you encounter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego