Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:26 PM

43 posts, read 146,436 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a property to purchase as my first home. I've lived in the UTC area, and I started to look into the metro area, like Golden Hill/South Park/North Park. However, with my budget and preference of the neighborhood, it's been hard to find something I like. Then, I came across some houses in Fairmont Park. I drove around, and I like the atmosphere of the residential area, on the top of the hill, north of Home Avenue. If you know the neighborhood, can you share your thoughts? Any comments are welcomed! I am in the 30's and hopefully find a college student to share a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 06:55 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
That neighborhood is OK. The surrounding areas are not so nice but that is a little well-kept island. Main challenges for you will be shopping and amenities as things like decent grocery stores are surprisingly far away. Otherwise you end up going to the new Albertsons on Fairmount which can be an, um, experience. One cool thing is that you have Chiquitas (the yellow restaurant on Home Ave).

Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM

Thanks, Sassberto! Yes, I totally see what you mean about shopping - but that would be easily solved - I will just do it after work (I work in downtown La Jolla) or do a little driving. Safety is more of my concern, but I would assume the freeways are blocking crimes from neighboring areas (that would also be a con for convenience, as you'd have to take freeways to go somewhere)? But if anyone who lives in or have friends who live in Fairmont Park - please share your impression of the community, thank you!!

Old 01-19-2010, 03:20 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Love Chiquitas!

I have friends that live just up the street and like you, discovered it to be nice neighborhood. They have not had any problems since buying about five years ago and definitely like it. I've taken the dog for walks up there to discover the area for myself and concur with them, nice stock of modest mainly '40s houses, decent size yards. Adjacent Hollywood park-really the same area- is pretty nice too.

Agree with Sassaberto that the surrounding area is a little iffy.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Sounds like I need to get over to Chiquita's! Discovering a new dive Mexican Restaurants is always a good thing!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:58 PM

I went to see two houses today in Fairmont Park with my REALTOR, and I really love the area! The problem is one of the houses is short sale and has backup offers lined up, and the other one is a REO taken over by FDIC (for REO bank went under). Sigh. I will put my offers for both, but since it will take a long time to find out the acceptance, my house hunt continues. My goal is to have my offer accepted by 4/30 and close escrow by 6/30 to get the tax incentive. Wish me luck!! Oh, by the way, I think I found Chiquita's - the bright yellow restaurant on Home Avenue?

Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Sorry, I forgot to reply to the topic of your post! Yes, Fairmount Park is a cute little area. A diamond in the rough, as they say. Good luck on your offer!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:47 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar2p View Post
Oh, by the way, I think I found Chiquita's - the bright yellow restaurant on Home Avenue?
Yup... that's it. not even a sign out front :-)

Old 03-08-2010, 12:27 AM

Update!
Finally, after how many rejected offers, my offer for a house in Fairmont Park has been accepted by the seller today! It's a short sale, so the real wait will start, but at least, my foot is in the door
Love the house, love the neighborhood (so far, by visiting), and I hope everything moves smoothly and quickly! I just can't be happier!!

Old 06-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Another update!
I finally closed on a house in Fairmont Park last Thursday! As it was a distressed property, there will be lots to work on, but I am very happy. Last few days, I've met some neighbors, and seen kids riding bikes or people jogging/walking dogs. So far, I like the surroundings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: