Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Well, when you put it that way...no, I don't find the fires to fit the bill. They were preventable. Our government refused to act timely. Parents refused to control their kids. Arsonists thought they'd play games.

Look people - I differentiate between an emergency that was preventable and a natural disaster that was nobody's fault and caused by Mother Nature, not to be prevented by any manmade device. I've already said it - the fire was devastating, but compared to a flood/hurricane that levels the majority of a city, it's meager, quite frankly.
Listen this may have been man made but having lived through both recent fire events, I think it's unfair to say it wasn't a crisis. True I was lucky enough to not have been evacuated but 500,000 people as was the case for the 2007 fires is nothing short of a major crisis. Having to close up your house because of smoke is a major crisis. seeing ash fall like snow is a major crisis. What do you want to happen to SD? I may not care much for the place but helleven I know when enough is enough.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskray917 View Post
ehh sometimes, but we still get many more downpours annually than SD ever does.
Perhaps while we've been dry. I respect you from the Seattle forums don't get me wrong. However this week has been more normal than drought for SD. We've had wind advisories, surf advisories, flash flood watches and warnings and even tornado watches and warnings. In normal years this happens a couple of times. I don't think Seattle has to worry much about those things. The rain here comes fast and hard when it does.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:21 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Perhaps while we've been dry. I respect you from the Seattle forums don't get me wrong. However this week has been more normal than drought for SD. We've had wind advisories, surf advisories, flash flood watches and warnings and even tornado watches and warnings. In normal years this happens a couple of times. I don't think Seattle has to worry much about those things. The rain here comes fast and hard when it does.
And because of the normal lack of rain, it really compounds the problems when we do get it. The roots of our trees tend to be more shallow because there are fewer deep soakings which causes all of the tree topplings that you see here. It also causes more mudslides (which seem to affect LA even more than us). I grew up in Pennsylvania which probably has 4 or more times the percipitation that San Diego does in a year, but never had these types of problems associated with the rain because the environment was more used to it.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
And because of the normal lack of rain, it really compounds the problems when we do get it. The roots of our trees tend to be more shallow because there are fewer deep soakings which causes all of the tree topplings that you see here. It also causes more mudslides (which seem to affect LA even more than us). I grew up in Pennsylvania which probably has 4 or more times the percipitation that San Diego does in a year, but never had these types of problems associated with the rain because the environment was more used to it.
Actually how far tree roots go down depend on the species. As San Diego is mainly planted with non native species, the level to which the roots go down will depend on the species chosen for a particular area. A Redwood will have shallow roots and will uproot more quickly. However they tend not to do well in SD's climate as most species with shallow roots. The native species such as the Torrey Pine will have deeper roots that can tap into ground water and thus are better adapted to the climate. Then there are the various fig tree species which are native to tropical climates (which San Diego is not despite how many palm trees they plant). These trees require a lot of water as they are used to very wet climates and are designed to shed water rather than retain it.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:13 AM

457 posts, read 1,344,893 times
Quote:
Listen this may have been man made but having lived through both recent fire events, I think it's unfair to say it wasn't a crisis. True I was lucky enough to not have been evacuated but 500,000 people as was the case for the 2007 fires is nothing short of a major crisis. Having to close up your house because of smoke is a major crisis. seeing ash fall like snow is a major crisis. What do you want to happen to SD? I may not care much for the place but helleven I know when enough is enough.
definitely. The fires may not have affected the city of San Diego much but those weeks were pure hell, from someone who had to evacuate both times.
__

and I agree that southern California in general does not handle rain well, which is part of the reason for all those warnings. Months go by without rain and people forget what it is for a while until it starts again. Flood watches have been declared during storms where it barely rains because people freak over a little rain (granted many of the flood warnings were also mudslide warnings in recent burn areas).

Also Seattle does get flash flood warnings often. During a recent storm, there were warnings about several rivers overflowing.

But anyway, after this week I'm sure you'll be glad to give the rain back to us right?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:26 AM

70 posts, read 178,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
I find the fact that the entire state goes into a "state of emergency" every time it rains amusing, almost embarrassing really. They must laugh their heads off in Oregon and Seattle.

BTW, Port Au Prince is very sunny and warm this time of year! Any takers?

You know for someone who has had family members killed in last week's disaster, I still can't believe that someone would make a comment like that, it just goes to show you that this world is filled with plenty of pompous a55holes!!!, JKOZ I hope you never have to deal with anything remotely painfull as the earthquake in Port Au Prince, that way you could continue to make classless tackey jokes about something so tragic.
And I hope everyone in San diego has a good safe weekend be safe driving

God Bless!!

Old 01-23-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskray917 View Post
definitely. The fires may not have affected the city of San Diego much but those weeks were pure hell, from someone who had to evacuate both times.
__

and I agree that southern California in general does not handle rain well, which is part of the reason for all those warnings. Months go by without rain and people forget what it is for a while until it starts again. Flood watches have been declared during storms where it barely rains because people freak over a little rain (granted many of the flood warnings were also mudslide warnings in recent burn areas).

Also Seattle does get flash flood warnings often. During a recent storm, there were warnings about several rivers overflowing.

But anyway, after this week I'm sure you'll be glad to give the rain back to us right?
Nope, for me personally bring more of it on. I am loving what we're having and can never get tired of it. I took a walk in the rain several times while the San Diegans griped and moaned. This week has been great!

Old 01-23-2010, 07:12 AM

458 posts, read 1,262,833 times
Quote:
Nope, for me personally bring more of it on. I am loving what we're having and can never get tired of it. I took a walk in the rain several times while the San Diegans griped and moaned. This week has been great!
Sounds like you need to move out of SD if you are enjoying the weather we have had for the last 5 days. Maybe then you will stop letting everyone know how much you dislike it. MOVE ALREADY

Old 01-23-2010, 08:36 AM

46 posts, read 187,828 times
We moved an hour north and drove in pouring rain down to Balboa. Our family went to Balboa area and it was crowded with families visiting the muesums in pouring rain. I thought it would be less crowded. We then decided to head over to Old Town because we thought there would be little wait. That was deserted. We went to Old Town Mexican Cafe, we had not been there in ten years due to our military travels. We are both in are late 40s. It was full of locals and 1/2 full with a full staff, it seemed pretty busy. It was the worse service and food we have had from a restaurant in years. It felt like we were in a dive bar without the good dive bar food. Our waitress was horrible, and the food was thrown together. I was surprised. We thought it was a high food rated restaurant. It was a waste of money. The table cleaner we gave him a cash in the hand tip. He was comming to our table doing what the waitress should of been doing. She was so bad we went to the bar to get coffee to go for then hour ride home, even the bartendar was laxed, the table cleaner, got our coffee. He was embarrassed for them. Owners or Managers were walking from bar to back room while we are trying to flag down our waitress for silverware, water refill, etc. That place in a dump.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalysd View Post
sounds like you need to move out of sd if you are enjoying the weather we have had for the last 5 days. Maybe then you will stop letting everyone know how much you dislike it. Move already
lmao!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego