U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 PM

2,115 posts, read 3,103,084 times
Default San Diegans = Rain Wimps

Yeah, I said it.

When this rain first started, the people at work started crying and whining about getting wet. Seriously?

Then it started getting progressively more rainy and windy...we had a eucalyptus fall onto one of our buildings and people freaked out. I just don't understand.

Accidents shot through the roof, people hydroplaning and what not...

I mean is it just me? Am I the only one who actually LIKES the rain? Rain + strong wind, not so much...but today was an aberration. Just some rain coming down relaxes me for the most part; I know that smokers can't leave their windows down blowing their nasty smoke in through my vents. I know that - generally speaking - brats and soccer moms can't sit on the cell phone while driving. I know that "bros" in their lifted trucks can't drive like maniacs. There's also less instances of people cutting others off. The ONLY thing I hate about rain down here is that people seem to want to go the same speed that they would when the roads are dry for some reason - even though common sense tells you not to do that on a wet, slippery road.

I have an Altima and let me tell you...when the winds are strong, I can literally feel that car move, and it's all I can do to keep it stable, much less keep the tires from losing grip. And yes, when the rain is really strong, coming straight at you, and it's not that light out, what with all the sleet and water sheen in the air...it's VERY difficult to see what you're doing.

All that said, I still love the rain and cool weather. Way better than sweltering heat or fires burning down homes. Am I the only one out here who actually appreciates something different than my chestnuts roasting??

Old 01-21-2010, 08:19 PM

10,257 posts, read 13,412,655 times
Generally San Diegans are weather wimps and it's understandable but I have yet to hear anyone actually really complain to the point they wished it was not raining, even the natives. Most seem to appreciate the different weather b/c we all know it will be sunny and mild, like it usually is, soon enough. Plus the rain is badly needed. Some people might complain about getting wet but they do that everywhere, I was up in the Bay Area last weekend and it rained up there, barely though, and some of my friends were complaining up there too about how they hate to drive in it or go out. People here don't seem to complain about the rain anymore than where I grew up where it rains more in winter, most people I know seem to like it.

And I dunno why but I don't think people were driving that bad this time around, people seemed to be going a reasonable speed with a few speeders here and there.

I love this rain but that is b/c I know it will be gone soon and we'll get our normal weather back soon, if I was in Seattle I might feel differently.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:24 PM

12,403 posts, read 10,377,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Yeah, I said it.

When this rain first started, the people at work started crying and whining about getting wet. Seriously?

Then it started getting progressively more rainy and windy...we had a eucalyptus fall onto one of our buildings and people freaked out. I just don't understand.

Accidents shot through the roof, people hydroplaning and what not...

I mean is it just me? Am I the only one who actually LIKES the rain? Rain + strong wind, not so much...but today was an aberration. Just some rain coming down relaxes me for the most part; I know that smokers can't leave their windows down blowing their nasty smoke in through my vents. I know that - generally speaking - brats and soccer moms can't sit on the cell phone while driving. I know that "bros" in their lifted trucks can't drive like maniacs. There's also less instances of people cutting others off. The ONLY thing I hate about rain down here is that people seem to want to go the same speed that they would when the roads are dry for some reason - even though common sense tells you not to do that on a wet, slippery road.

I have an Altima and let me tell you...when the winds are strong, I can literally feel that car move, and it's all I can do to keep it stable, much less keep the tires from losing grip. And yes, when the rain is really strong, coming straight at you, and it's not that light out, what with all the sleet and water sheen in the air...it's VERY difficult to see what you're doing.

All that said, I still love the rain and cool weather. Way better than sweltering heat or fires burning down homes. Am I the only one out here who actually appreciates something different than my chestnuts roasting??
Yes finally my kind of post. The San Diegans just can't handle anything. I was in a 7-11 yesterday. There was a lady who said the most amazing thing. She said, "my god what with this weather?" (it's called rain). Then she said...are you ready?..."it's cold when it's not warm".

As sure as the day turns into night. In other news, night time is dark lol

Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM

387 posts, read 1,711,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yes finally my kind of post. The San Diegans just can't handle anything. I was in a 7-11 yesterday. There was a lady who said the most amazing thing. She said, "my god what with this weather?" (it's called rain). Then she said...are you ready?..."it's cold when it's not warm".

As sure as the day turns into night. In other news, night time is dark lol
HA! That's hilarious. Thanks for the laugh!

Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 PM

1,676 posts, read 2,949,817 times
So the feelings of an entire major metropolitan region with millions of people gets defined by some lady making small talk in a 7-11. Um, ok. Sounds logical.
For the record, I like the rain, and I'm a native San Diego (shocking, I know).

Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,783,491 times
Read the "Another Bust of a Storm" thread, plenty of San Diegans who love this weather, myself included.

Also, when they say San Diegans can't drive in the rain (we drive slow), it's because it doesn't rain here often and the when it does rain, the roads get slick.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:20 PM

and the San Diegan sensitivity starts LOL. I told some in another thread to look out for this over here. too predictable LMAO

Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 PM

1,676 posts, read 2,949,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
and the San Diegan sensitivity starts LOL. I told some in another thread to look out for this over here. too predictable LMAO
So ... when someone starts a thread called "San Diegans = Rain Wimps," and people respond by saying "I'm a San Diegan, and I'm not a rain wimp," to you, that means the responders are being overly sensitive?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
So ... when someone starts a thread called "San Diegans = Rain Wimps," and people respond by saying "I'm a San Diegan, and I'm not a rain wimp," to you, that means the responders are being overly sensitive?
The way they respond is being overly sensitive. If this doesn't describe you then don't worry about it.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 PM

462 posts, read 1,326,366 times
I love the rain, I just don't like the attitude that every rain system is the first the area has ever had-LOL! Do people have short memory recall when it comes to weather? No one seems to even remember that we had a rainstorm early last month. This is a Mediterranean climate, which means rainy winters, dry summers. Having been here during the 90s, I remember when rain systems like this were almost weekly occurrences, (even more so during the 80s), and I don't remember all the hubbub and drama about it each and every time. After watching what has been and is still going on in Haiti, I don't think we're suffering too much here

Last edited by jkoz; 01-21-2010 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego