Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 10:37 AM

11 posts, read 20,559 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I've been reading the site, especially San Diego forum for awhile now. This is a great site with such a helpful information because of your inputs. Thank you!

Anyway, here is our situation. We're living in Minneapolis and planning to move to San Diego. We're tired of the weather and ready for a change. My husband was flying to SD last week to look for a job. Fortunately, he has just got a couple offers after a week of searching and will begin to work soon. My two kids and I will start to move when they're done with school in June, one in Kindergarten and another in pre-school. We plan to rent a house at least first six months before buy. The area we're looking into is Poway or anywhere close by so the kids can go to the Poway Unified SD. My question is when you usually receive a newsletter to register for enrolling the next school year (2010-2011)? I've looked on powayusd.org but not found anything yet. I already received the next year enrollment for my kids here in Minneapolis.

Appreciate any inputs that you might have for us.
Datran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 PM

15,113 posts, read 32,166,184 times
The school districts in California don't send out any letters for registration. You have to go into the school in person to register for enrollment. When you have an address in CA, go onto the school district's website to find out what boundary you're in, so you know what school you're kids will be going to attend. Make sure and bring as much paperwork as you can for registration, it will speed up the process. Also, after school is out for the summer, there will be no registration again until fall.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:03 PM

124 posts, read 468,923 times
My advice for enrolling in Kindergarten is to move before the schools here close for the summer so you can get your enrollment package filled out as early as possible-- you have to have proof of residence to enroll (your lease and utility bill showing both address and your name on it)

If you can't do that, then be sure to be at the school the day the office reopens and get that package filled in and turned in ASAP. The offices should open a couple of weeks before school starts

We moved in August and our local school had no openings for kindergarten when we enrolled just before school started, so my son had to go to another school, and we specifically took an apartment in an area that was served by the school we wanted him to attend. I was really annoyed.

Luckily, a spot opened the second day of school, so we were able to transfer him, but it made for a very hectic start to his school year, and I missed the opportunity to go to the orientation for the school he ended up attending.

I don't live in the Poway District, but nearby in San Marcos. They are very strict about proof of residency, and also included in the Kindergarten enrollment packet were forms to be filled out by your child's doctor-- a California Doctor, so I had to make an appt with a local Doctor, my out of state records weren't good enough. I don't know if Poway does that, but it does add a fair amount to the time it takes to complete the package when you have to wait for an appointment too.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:21 PM

Thanks to moved and Hobgoblin for your useful info.

Since my husband will begin a job and rent a place in the area soon, we should have the proof of residence. I'll start to enroll them as soon as he settles down. I'll make sure to look for any included medical form in case the kids need to see a local Doctor. Great info!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM

239 posts, read 721,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
I don't live in the Poway District, but nearby in San Marcos. They are very strict about proof of residency, and also included in the Kindergarten enrollment packet were forms to be filled out by your child's doctor-- a California Doctor, so I had to make an appt with a local Doctor, my out of state records weren't good enough. I don't know if Poway does that, but it does add a fair amount to the time it takes to complete the package when you have to wait for an appointment too.
The Poway school district does not require the forms to be filled by a Californian doctor, but they do require the forms. I just downloaded them and took them to my Pediatrician in Maryland to complete before we moved here. We already had closed on in the house beforehand, so we knew the specific school. If you want to speed up the process make sure your kid is up to date with all the required vaccinations. They don't need to have the Californian yellow immunization record, just whatever your current state provides as proof of immunization. If you go to the district website you can find all the requirements and dates of enrollment. If they haven't posted the information for the 2010-2011 school year enrollment yet is because they are not accepting those yet, just keep checking the website for updates. During the school year they have rolling enrollment. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:56 PM

Thanks soymabelen.

Another question I'd like to ask. Because my husband will just rent a room (room sharing) to stay until the rest of us move, there's likely a chance that he won't pay utilities. Or even he will pay a portion, the name on the bill probably won't be his. The school district requests for two documents as proofs of residency out of these seven.

• Deed to primary residence
• Escrow papers for primary residence
• Rental/lease agreement for primary residence
• Military housing orders (base housing office written verification)
• Declaration of temporary residency affidavits for homeless families
• Current bill from local utility company
• Any other legal document(s) which establishes residence address within district boundaries

The only one doc he has is the lease. I will call the school to check tomorrow, but I wonder if any of you had such an issue? Do you HAVE TO have two docs?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,536,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datran View Post
Thanks soymabelen.

Another question I'd like to ask. Because my husband will just rent a room (room sharing) to stay until the rest of us move, there's likely a chance that he won't pay utilities. Or even he will pay a portion, the name on the bill probably won't be his. The school district requests for two documents as proofs of residency out of these seven.

• Deed to primary residence
• Escrow papers for primary residence
• Rental/lease agreement for primary residence
• Military housing orders (base housing office written verification)
• Declaration of temporary residency affidavits for homeless families
• Current bill from local utility company
• Any other legal document(s) which establishes residence address within district boundaries

The only one doc he has is the lease. I will call the school to check tomorrow, but I wonder if any of you had such an issue? Do you HAVE TO have two docs?
Other legal docs: driver's license? voter registration?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 AM

15,113 posts, read 32,166,184 times
If your entire family is going to be living in the room with your husband, you will have to have proof that your children are also living there. This can be a statement from the landlord, and they normally verify it. And yes, you HAVE to have two documents. Otherwise, you will not be able to register your children in school. They don't accept a driver's license as proof of address nor a voter registration. It HAS to be proof that you're living at that particular address. Most parents use a phone bill (landline only, cell phone bills are not accepted), lease, or utility bills. If you don't have all the proper documents, you will not be able to enroll your children in school.

I worked in school offices for 3 1/2 years, and I saw lots of parents be turned away for not having all the proper documents.
Until you have an actual physical address, you won't know what school you'll be able to enroll your children in. They're extremely strict about proof of address, so you'll probably get the same information. Ask them to send you a list of what documents you need for enrollment. They don't make exceptions to the rule. They have to adhere to State and District regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego