U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2010, 12:18 PM

9 posts, read 13,866 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband's territory for work has changed to CA, OR, and WA. We currently live in the Phoenix area. His company will allow him to cover the territory from Phoenix, but it will most weeks mean 5 days of travel. Most of his work will be in Southern California, so we are considering a move to San Diego.

We currently live in a suburb of Phoenix called Goodyear, Az. It's a small town. We own a very nice 3000 sq ft home, with every upgrade, and a beautiful pool. We love our house, but what good is beautiful house if "Dad" is gone every night. If we moved, we would sell our house here and intially rent in San Diego.

We would like to find a house similar to the one we live in now minus the pool. It doesn't have to have every upgrade, but we don't want to live in an old house either. We are hoping to pay no more than $4000-$4500 for at least a 3 bedroom. With this said, where should we live? Please keep this things in mind when offering advice...thanks!

1. My son is 3 1/2, and I have one on the way. We want to live in a safe community, with good preschools, and other young families.

2. We must be close to an airport...30 min to 1 hr (with traffic). Also, not to far inland...

3. We want to live in a "pretty" community, but not be caught up in the rat race or keeping up with the Jones' (typical stereotypes of places in Orange County)...it's just not our style

Please give me your opinion on areas we should consider. Also, let me know if our rental expectations are realistic for the area you are recommending. If you currently live in SD, please tell what you love and don't love about it. I've been in Phoenix for 8 years, and I want to move to CA, but it's bittersweet. Just want to make sure we're making the right decision. My husband has an amazing job so we're not worried about "making" it there. We don't want to buy a house until we are sure that we like it and find the right area to settle down.

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 12:30 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,030,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf.0205 View Post
Hi. My husband's territory for work has changed to CA, OR, and WA. We currently live in the Phoenix area. His company will allow him to cover the territory from Phoenix, but it will most weeks mean 5 days of travel. Most of his work will be in Southern California, so we are considering a move to San Diego.

We currently live in a suburb of Phoenix called Goodyear, Az. It's a small town. We own a very nice 3000 sq ft home, with every upgrade, and a beautiful pool. We love our house, but what good is beautiful house if "Dad" is gone every night. If we moved, we would sell our house here and intially rent in San Diego.

We would like to find a house similar to the one we live in now minus the pool. It doesn't have to have every upgrade, but we don't want to live in an old house either. We are hoping to pay no more than $4000-$4500 for at least a 3 bedroom. With this said, where should we live? Please keep this things in mind when offering advice...thanks!

1. My son is 3 1/2, and I have one on the way. We want to live in a safe community, with good preschools, and other young families.

2. We must be close to an airport...30 min to 1 hr (with traffic). Also, not to far inland...

3. We want to live in a "pretty" community, but not be caught up in the rat race or keeping up with the Jones' (typical stereotypes of places in Orange County)...it's just not our style

Please give me your opinion on areas we should consider. Also, let me know if our rental expectations are realistic for the area you are recommending. If you currently live in SD, please tell what you love and don't love about it. I've been in Phoenix for 8 years, and I want to move to CA, but it's bittersweet. Just want to make sure we're making the right decision. My husband has an amazing job so we're not worried about "making" it there. We don't want to buy a house until we are sure that we like it and find the right area to settle down.

Please help!
Well, the only thing that gives me pause is your statement that while you want to live in a "pretty" (I assume newer) coastal community that is safe (low crime) with good schools, you don't want to feel part of the rat race and keeping up with the Jonses. Hmmm. Well, I'd say look at coastal north county cities from Carlsbad south to Del Mar. Not sure what your housing budget is (to buy, I mean. You can certainly rent for what you indicated), but if you can afford these communities (Carlsbad, La Costa, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Del Mar), I think they will provide everything else you say you are looking for. You probably won't end up with a 3,000-foot house, but if you're willing to downsize a bit (again, depending on your budget) you might find yourselves really happy in SD.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:50 PM

331 posts, read 699,672 times
Take a look at 4S Ranch and Del Sur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego