Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 02:21 PM

118 posts, read 139,065 times

Advertisements

Safety and crime are a relative concept. Fact of the matter is San Diego and its surrounding areas are some of the safest in the USA. I'm from Detroit, and if you were to ask my opinion I would say there is no neighborhood in San Diego that should cause so much worry about your safety that you wouldn't move there. I've known a person from Philadelphia and another from Albuquerque who would tell you the same thing. But I've also known people from small towns and San Diego itself who are all convinced it goes to **** south of the 8. As a person from a lower crime England, your perception of safety may be closer to the posters from San Diego than mine or the poster from Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 AM

5 posts, read 9,436 times
Thanks everyone. Your comments are much appreciated. I feel a lot better about her coming now. Thanks for the link iskray917. I will find out where she will be staying and hopefully you can all tell me more about it.....

Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 PM

25 posts, read 78,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaevans68 View Post
Thanks everyone. Your comments are much appreciated. I feel a lot better about her coming now. Thanks for the link iskray917. I will find out where she will be staying and hopefully you can all tell me more about it.....
I'd second that (as a recently arrived Brit living in the hills south of El Cajon) - there are a few dodgy parts, most of it is just fine, and some areas are very upscale - with way less crime than you'd see anywhere in the UK. The strange thing I've found about the US is that crime appears to be extremely localised - like criminals never think to leave the dodgy block they hang about in go to and cause problems further up the road.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:07 AM

5 posts, read 9,436 times
HHollywood, why did you move there? It would be great to have a brit or anyone else for that matter keeping an eye out for my girlie.... she is very niave and quiet.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHollywood View Post
The strange thing I've found about the US is that crime appears to be extremely localised - like criminals never think to leave the dodgy block they hang about in go to and cause problems further up the road.
Actually you couldn't be more wrong. Who's homes do you think they rob? the poor people next door or the rich people up the street?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 PM

25 posts, read 78,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaevans68 View Post
HHollywood, why did you move there? It would be great to have a brit or anyone else for that matter keeping an eye out for my girlie.... she is very niave and quiet.
I loved here because I thought (and still do think) it's about the nicest part of SD that's not absurdly expensive (the northern beach towns are also fantastic but a little far from where I work) and has houses with some character rather than identikit estates and among the best public schools in the county.

I live in Mount Helix which is the place Sassberto mentions above, but often shop, eat etc in El Cajon itself. There are many other nice areas around El Cajon too. There are dodgy areas I wouldn't want to be in at night, but that's true anywhere really. There's nowhere else I'd rather be in SD.

If you know whereabouts she will be I'm sure I or someone else here can fill you in on the area. I really think you'll have nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego