Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:55 PM

107 posts, read 338,562 times

Advertisements

Have you considered Riverside, Ca. ? Its cheaper than SD. and you dollars will go farther. And you are still only 1 hr. to the beach from west Riverside. Also there are some healthcare jobs up there. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 02:53 PM

18 posts, read 88,655 times
Have you looked at San Luis Obispo County? It's quite a bit farther north than SD and quite a bit smaller, but there are some towns that might fit your desire to live someplace warm and mid-sized (sort of). San Luis Obispo itself has the college right there which brings some economic activity into the city (though it is, by no means, a thriving metropolis) Atascadero isn't too far east from there and the home prices are cheaper than SLO, not as close to the ocean (although SLO isn't on the water either) but perhaps more affordable. Inland there's also Paso Robles, getting into some wine country there, but still relatively affordable. I believe (although I've found varying figures) that average homes proves in Paso Robles and Atascadero run around $300,000 and San Luis Obispo itself around $450,000. So, I mean less than most of SD county (save maybe Ramona or Oceanside) but still kind of up there. The county on the whole is much more rural than SD but it's CA, not Montana, so coastal ruralness is a relative term.

When will you be finished with school? And what, may I ask, is your degree in? Will it be something that will feed into a job relatively 'easily'? I mean the economy isn't great but some degrees are 'easier' to find jobs with than others. Will your wife be on maternity leave after she has the baby? Have you got any savings for the move? CA is a very expensive state and the places with nice weather are even more expensive, but if you plan appropriately and get your ducks in a row the best you can, it is possible. Difficult but possible.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times
I think Riverside County has one of the highest unemployment rates in California, so I don't know if Riverside would be a good choice. I'd possibly consider living in Murrieta or Temecula. You could find a really nice, newer house there for less than $300k and your wife could commute to SD or LA for a nursing job. However, there ain't much going on in either of those cities (Murrieta or Temecula). I recently saw a listing for a 2 bedroom house with a big back yard for around $200k in Murrieta. It was built in the 90s and had nice curb appeal.

I'm getting my MSN in nursing, and in SD your wife will make $40/hr. or more starting, way more if she has her MSN. With time differential adjustments and overtime, she could pull in close to $100k.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 AM

49 posts, read 176,551 times
Thanks for everyone's tips and advice. We have decided to focus on Temecula and Murrieta. Seems like the houses there are more affordable. Cookie cuter types, but great schools; which is our top priority. I like how the area sits between LA and San Diego as well. I grew up in northwest Ohio surrounded by corn, so driving to the city for entertainment wasn't abnormal for my wife or me in the past. The house prices almost seem too affordable. Makes me wonder how difficult it will be to find jobs there; even nursing.

When will you be finished with school? And what, may I ask, is your degree in? Will it be something that will feed into a job relatively 'easily'? I mean the economy isn't great but some degrees are 'easier' to find jobs with than others. Will your wife be on maternity leave after she has the baby? Have you got any savings for the move? CA is a very expensive state and the places with nice weather are even more expensive, but if you plan appropriately and get your ducks in a row the best you can, it is possible. Difficult but possible.

To answer your question Talulah, I have two years of school left. I am at a University in Columbus which has an accredited online and on-campus program. I am a double major: Business Admin. and Human Resources Management. I am hoping that I will be able to find a decent job after graduation, so my wife can stay home. Our current plan is to move after she graduates and more importantly has a job. The move wouldn't be made until after she has found employment. We have savings built up, and surely enough to fly out and back to look around and for employment purposes. It seems as though there is really only one large hospital for the Temecula/Murrieta area. My main concern is she will be unable to find a nursing job, as a starting RN.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 AM

49 posts, read 176,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I think Riverside County has one of the highest unemployment rates in California, so I don't know if Riverside would be a good choice. I'd possibly consider living in Murrieta or Temecula. You could find a really nice, newer house there for less than $300k and your wife could commute to SD or LA for a nursing job. However, there ain't much going on in either of those cities (Murrieta or Temecula). I recently saw a listing for a 2 bedroom house with a big back yard for around $200k in Murrieta. It was built in the 90s and had nice curb appeal.

I'm getting my MSN in nursing, and in SD your wife will make $40/hr. or more starting, way more if she has her MSN. With time differential adjustments and overtime, she could pull in close to $100k.
Thank you for answering that question. That is a lot more than what I had researched online. It seemed to us that she would start out around 60K. A lot of online information is wrong our outdated. It didn't seem realistic. Congrats on going for you MSN. My wife has plans to continue her education, but as of now she wants to wait until our kids are in school. With a 2yr. old. and one on the way, getting her through nursing school and having myself in school has made our lives a bit crazy. Isn't everyone's though? Once again, I appreciate your answer. GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,625 times
You might want to check out www.allnurses.com for more info on nursing jobs. They are tough to get here but not impossible. Also, I am sure you looked this up about Murrieta and Temecula but just in case you didn't it's A LOT hotter there. And I mean a lot. In the summer it can easily be 100 there and it will be 82 in Carlsbad, or parts of San Diego. Not trying to discourage you at all for moving there because lets face it, it's the only place you can find nice affordable home. It's a different world out there and nothing like living in coastal San Diego cities.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:05 PM

36 posts, read 112,151 times
You may want to consider NC Raleigh Metro area and its suburb ( Cary, Apex, Fuquay,) . Weather wise, it's much warmer than Ohio. Cost of living is much lower than SD . You can rent a decent house for $1000/month or less in safe and good school area. Nursing job is needed everywhere. My daughter in-law is a RN and she works 12 hr shift Friday/Sat/Sun so she can stay home week-day to take care of the kids. They need nurse so bad down here and they do everything they can to help you out. A family of 4 can live comfortably from $60,000/a year here.

There is plenty of things to do in Raleigh Metro Area. 3 hr take you to the beach and 3 hr to the mountain.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I'm in California and we were always short of Nurses...

This changed about a year ago... now, every week we get an average of 15 unsolicited RN's contacting us each week...

Experienced Nurses will always find a job... it's a little harder for new grads as compared to 3 years ago when we tried to hire some... the entire Cal State East Bay Program RN's already had lined up jobs prior to graduation.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukkha2 View Post
You may want to consider NC Raleigh Metro area and its suburb ( Cary, Apex, Fuquay,) . Weather wise, it's much warmer than Ohio. Cost of living is much lower than SD . You can rent a decent house for $1000/month or less in safe and good school area. Nursing job is needed everywhere. My daughter in-law is a RN and she works 12 hr shift Friday/Sat/Sun so she can stay home week-day to take care of the kids. They need nurse so bad down here and they do everything they can to help you out. A family of 4 can live comfortably from $60,000/a year here.

There is plenty of things to do in Raleigh Metro Area. 3 hr take you to the beach and 3 hr to the mountain.
I have to disagree with you about Raleigh....Whatever you do please don't move to North Carolina...Nothing to do/Boring/Dull/shall i go on........In San Diego..you might have a life out there and get to experience some culture...Not trying to hate too bad on North Carolina..but I know what I speak of. North Carolina....great place to live.. but not the place to live life.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I have to disagree with you about Raleigh....Whatever you do please don't move to North Carolina...Nothing to do/Boring/Dull/shall i go on........In San Diego..you might have a life out there and get to experience some culture...Not trying to hate too bad on North Carolina..but I know what I speak of. North Carolina....great place to live.. but not the place to live life.
I think it maybe depends on what you want out of life. Just maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego