Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 03:20 PM
f_m f_m started this thread

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times

Advertisements

They are opening a location in Carmel Mountain Ranch. Wonder how many people will show up.

Welcome to Sprouts Farmers Market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Probably lots!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:17 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
We'll show up. We live nearby in RP.

But this place is a huge chain. So we're expecting something like Whole Foods (too expensive, in general) or Jimbo's (still more expensive than Henry's) or Henry's (we often stop in here).

We're open/hoping to being pleasantly surprised.

None of these places provides farm-of-origin for their produce. We would find that valuable, given our good experience of food from a local ranch (Be Wise Ranch). And our wish to eat local because the food is likely to be fresher and with less carbon footprint.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
now if you can get Sprouts in CA why can't Texas get Trader Js?

As for Sprouts, it is a little like Trader Joes but I don't like it as well. They are organic, prices are pretty good and their meats are outstanding. Like TJs they have a very small but nice produce dept. and they have a lot of bulk foods like beans, nuts, etc in bins. Trader Js doesn't have that..Sprouts doesn't have as good a wine selection as TJs.

Nita

Old 02-20-2010, 02:53 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
I never go to Trader Joe's. I find it useless to me, and I can get my food for a lot less.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:49 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

But this place is a huge chain. So we're expecting something like Whole Foods (too expensive, in general) or Jimbo's (still more expensive than Henry's) or Henry's (we often stop in here).

None of these places provides farm-of-origin for their produce. We would find that valuable, given our good experience of food from a local ranch (Be Wise Ranch). And our wish to eat local because the food is likely to be fresher and with less carbon footprint.
Well,that would be People's Co-op,for more local farm choices-and jimbo's has a small amount of this,too....every once in awhile,you even get unmarked baskets of berries,etc. that come from a very small grower locally. same with people's;i swear sometimes they have batches of avocados and grapfruit that come from someone's backyeard in OB. lol. seriously.

Yea,places like WF cannot order w/o a middle man-b/c of the logistics,and places like jimbo's and peoples cannot get the same access as WF. WF and Jimbo's are so high priced-but WF's own brand '365',is very doable,in many items-pasta,canned and jarred items,some cheeses,etc.

In fact,Henry's is SO high-unless you get on sale produce that is usually not organic,or supplements which are great priced and often on sale,I dont understand why people even shop there-the variety isnt even that good. I think people still associate henry's with their old days-when it was boney's and the two brothers owned it. [btw,windmill farms in allied gardens college area is now owned by the 'other boney'-not henry-and it's pretty great in terms of special items you are unlikely to find elsewhere.]
Sprouts-i have no idea about,but since jimbo's is down the street from me now,i probably won't venture east to CMR to go there.

Trader joe's is fantastic for cheese,pasta,canned food,alcohol,and you can find name brand items for less there-certain tea and cereal brands,etc.

Myself,I never shop at vons or ralphs,and whenever i try,i end up spending so much money and leaving with only half of what i wanted to shop for. and it's never organic,and if it is organic,it's always cr*ppy quality b/c they have to use a middle man and who knows where they shipped it in from? and the turnover is slow on those items,so they sit and sit.
And costco,well,just no. Most of that stuff isn't even food. and I cannot justify paying a store to be able to shop there. It's ridiculous and actually retarded,to me.
It's comical that people would be willing to pay a huge corporation to be a 'member',to receive supposed discounts on items full of chemicals. Yea,you've got the inside scoop,shopping there! membership has it's priveleges. [Yes,I know costco now sells some organics,etc.,but I also don't shop there b/c of the GMO and government subsidized food-people wonder why the US is really lagging-well,if we would begin to actually support folks-farmers,local businesses,etc and stop expecting walmart,et all to give us something cheap that we ourselves are subsidizing with our tax money,then we'd be progressing,not declining.]

Anyway,to each his own.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-20-2010 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,489 times
Trader Joe's has great prices on eggs. They have good cheeses and deli meats, but they are pricier than Ralphs. But then again, the TJ deli meats and cheeses actually look like they're from a deli.

Did anyone make it out to the Sprouts job fair? How was it? I live by the RP location as well. Interesting that it's opening directly across the street from TJs.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:08 AM

31 posts, read 66,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

Let's say Sprouts has local food. Wouldn't the extra gas you use driving all the way to Sprouts (as opposed to just driving to the closest grocery store) cancel out any "carbon footprint" savings you'd get by going to Sprouts?

Old 03-13-2010, 08:54 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delnote76 View Post
Let's say Sprouts has local food. Wouldn't the extra gas you use driving all the way to Sprouts (as opposed to just driving to the closest grocery store) cancel out any "carbon footprint" savings you'd get by going to Sprouts?
+1. Yes, but since shoppers will be driving their Priuses there, it won't have such a detrimental effect.

Breathing O2 and then exhaling carbon dioxide leaves a "carbon footprint". If people really care about "carbon footprints" then they should go plant some trees. That would be more beneficial than driving to some "local" grocer to buy so called "local" produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego